ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha SV15  (Read 2782 times)

Paul Hazelwood

Yamaha SV15
« on: February 04, 2007, 11:13:40 pm »

Yamaha SV15

Trying to locate a source for replacement horns in these.

I e-mailed Yamaha twice and they have not answered, no one local seems to be able to help.  

Thanks for any help.

Tom Young

Re: Yamaha SV15
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 02:20:08 pm »

A few things.

First; try local and regional Yamaha dealers/contractors who may be more helpful than Yamaha has been.

Not sure what you mean be replacement "horns".

If the SV15 uses a compression driver (as opposed to a piezo driver) and your drivers are blown, then you hopefully can get someone to install new diaphragms. This is a non-trivial task and requires some skill.

Or if Yamaha no longer provides diaphragms it might be possible to get 3d party drivers with the same bolt pattern as the Yamaha horns. Google for speaker parts or other obvious keywords.

(there are 3d party (gray market) diaphragm suppliers and maybe they have Yamaha replacements ?)

Fnally, if you do indeed need the entire horn assembly (and if Yamaha does not supply these) then you need to find a suitable horn that will fit or fit with minor modification to the enclosures.

Changing the drivers or the horns & drivers invariably means they will not be matched to Yamaha's crossover and woofer. It's a coin toss as to whether this will sound/perform OK..... or not.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Paul Hazelwood

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 04:04:46 pm »

It is a piezo driver according to the spec manual.

Does that mean any piezo that fits the hole will work or are there different types of those?  

Tom Young

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 05:29:22 pm »

I'm not sure, but there probably are different size piezo drivers.

Why don't you do a google search and find out ?  Until or unless someone with some knowledge helps you, you can probably resolve all this on your own.

(normally we are here to help. But your post sat for a few days unanswered and it would appear no one here knows about the specific ldspkrs you are dealing with. I finally decided to reply with what little advice I have)
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Paul Hazelwood

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 06:00:29 pm »

Thanks.

As I have searched various piezo horn types it seems that there is some variation in power handling and frequency responce.

Some as low as 1800 to 30k to as high as 40k   Most fall in the range of about 3000 to 30k.

And of course the shape of the housing being the largest difference.  The yamaha horns are 3 3/4" x 6 3/8"

From my knowledge of piezo drivers in the auto systems I work with  you do not even need a crossover network.

So unless I find out something significantly different, I think it may be safe to get a horn that will fit the hole and try them out.  

Considering  the average price has been like 6 bucks a piece, what the heck, LOL.

Michael King

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 06:11:16 pm »

i find the easiest way to deal with these type problems for people that dont have connections need to get replacements easyily is jsut to go to the local music store. Most have repair shops and can take care of it for you. They do have connections with yamaha and can get the replacment withing a week or so

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 06:11:16 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 24 queries.