ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reliance on a computer  (Read 5047 times)

Nathan Walker

Reliance on a computer
« on: January 30, 2007, 01:46:55 PM »

Please delete this thread.

Derrick Bassett

• http://www.6ftstudios.com
Re: Reliance on a computer
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 03:41:35 PM »

I don't know about the scaler issue - that's not my area. However, as a producer/creative director...i'd want the ability to have different feeds on different screens. By only allowing a single feed to be on all three screens - it limits greatly what you can do. Just a thought - that one's free Smile

rghoff

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 02:45:50 PM »

Putting everything on one computer is probably not a great idea.  The obvious issue is that if it goes down, you're totally out of luck.  But another consideration is that more than one person might need to use it at the same time.

I've taken the approach of having several cheap, but "modern" computers (as in they can all run Window's 2000).  One is used to handle the recording/burning (and does double for the feedback suppression stuff), one is for video/powerpoint and one is dedicated to controlling the projector.  Cost wise, I build our machines for the most part, but they probably run under $350 each (not including monitors).

I can see if you have a need to process video, you would want a nice machine for that...  But don't try to do much else with it, even if it could easily handle it.

Matt Spiece

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 08:40:18 PM »

The purpose of the scaler would be to convert a signal from say a DVD player or basic switcher to VGA format for the projector.  He is correct that you do not need one if you are going to do everything from the computer.  The computer's output is already correct.  

I do agree that doing video & audio on the same computer would be awkward, and require a lot of resources.  
Matt
Zeo Brothers Productions - Sales & Rental
Bethel United Methodist Church, Spring City, PA - Sound/AV Tech

Brad Weber

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 02:38:05 PM »

Matt Spiece wrote on Mon, 19 March 2007 20:40

The purpose of the scaler would be to convert a signal from say a DVD player or basic switcher to VGA format for the projector.  He is correct that you do not need one if you are going to do everything from the computer.  The computer's output is already correct.
Almost a correct statement.  A scaler is most effective when used to output all video signals at the native resolution of the projector, so a scaler would be redundant only if the computer was set to output the native format of the projector and only if the computer video card(s) outputs could properly drive the cable and cable lengths involved (most video cards are normally intended to drive maybe 5'-10' of VGA cable).

All LCD and DLP projectors all have scalers built into them, that's how they get video, S-Video and various computer video formats mapped to the fixed resolution panels.  The thought is that a dedicated external scaler can a) provide as good or better scaling, b) have a greater number and/or variety of inputs and c) can allow you to run just one signal type to the projector, which also prevents having to switch between projector inputs.

I would definitely question the capability's of the contractor in the initial post, it sounds like they might be an IT/computer contractor who thinks they understand AV but obviously doesn't really understand it at all.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Tell-A-Vision Media

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 04:55:06 PM »

Brad Weber wrote on Tue, 20 March 2007 13:38

The thought is that a dedicated external scaler can a) provide as good or better scaling, b) have a greater number and/or variety of inputs and c) can allow you to run just one signal type to the projector, which also prevents having to switch between projector inputs.

I agree with Brad.  Also, switching projector inputs can be troublesome and most projectors will blank or go black for a second to re-sync the next input.  The right scaler will allow you to feed multiple signals and not have that blanking issue.

I personally wouldn't trust one PC to do that much work, I dont care how much processing power it has, to handle that much for any service.  If there is ever a problem, you've lost everything!

Is there more in the budget or is it just the $3k for the PC?

Angie Reed

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 11:09:20 PM »

i hate to be the opposite voice here Smile, im the a/v person for the church, right now we run one system, not to pricey, we push all our video's through it and run the sound to the sound board, we have had good results with this except for the time our video card went out. Granted it was a old Nvidia 5200, a 5 yo card. We got a new card and have had no trouble since then. I would recommend two things for you, a Video Switcher this will allow you to choose different sources for your projectors, the one we are getting has 2 outputs, so one to the rear projector and another to a video splitter this will shoot the signal to the front two projectors. So hook the computer into the switcher and a dvd, or camera depending what you want, then send out your outputs to the above sources. This appears to work well for us. For broadcasting over the internet down the road, definetly get a different computer. ive never had the need for a scaler, i run all our video's through the computers most dvd programs will deal with that for you.

Brad Weber

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 09:02:48 AM »

Angie Reed wrote on Sun, 08 April 2007 23:09

I would recommend two things for you, a Video Switcher this will allow you to choose different sources for your projectors, the one we are getting has 2 outputs, so one to the rear projector and another to a video splitter this will shoot the signal to the front two projectors.
Technically, if it has two independently routed outputs it is a router or matrix switcher and not a switcher.  This is something to look at carefully, some switchers do indeed have two outputs but they are simply two outputs of the same signal while similar router devices allow you to independently route different sources to each output, such as for program and preview.  The difference is not always immediately apparent in manufacturer's literature.  I would also recommend a distribution amplifier and not a splitter, a splitter would be a simple passive device with significant losses, a DA would be more appropriate.
Quote:

So hook the computer into the switcher and a dvd, or camera depending what you want, then send out your outputs to the above sources. This appears to work well for us. For broadcasting over the internet down the road, definetly get a different computer. ive never had the need for a scaler, i run all our video's through the computers most dvd programs will deal with that for you.
I'm not quite getting what you're saying.  I believe the OP was discussing using a computer as the sole source for all video playback so I don't understand the reference to running multiple sources into a switcher.  Also, typically a video switcher will only address a single video format (composite video, s-video, component video, VGA, etc.), so one limitation with this is that all your video sources have to be the same signal format, having a switcher that handles VGA from a computer, component video from a DVD and composite or S-Video from a camera would be unusual.  Typically you would either just run these sources directly to the projectors and switch the projectors or you would use a switcher/scaler to take the multiple signal formats and turn them into a single format.

Or maybe you are running everything as composite video.  When addressing computer video one has to be specific about whether it is a VGA type graphics output or whether the computer uses an internal scan converter to provide a composite or S video output.  I suggest avoiding using a scan converted computer signal for large format projection if at all possible, by the time a graphics signal is converted down to video and back to a digital signal at the computer and then displayed on a large screen, the results are usually less than stellar.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Michael King

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 02:41:55 AM »

My concern is what about when you want to cut to Black or freeze an image when you need to fix a typo or switch programs. Do want the whole congregation to see this. If you have to play a dvd and then switch to media shout, the congregation will see it all. i guess i use a switcher more for that reason.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 02:41:55 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.