ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound System for Large DJ Events  (Read 9444 times)

Garrett Vander Veen

• Garrett Vander Veen
Sound System for Large DJ Events
« on: April 12, 2011, 03:38:58 PM »

I'm trying to start setting aside some money to upgrade my rig. I'm booking bigger events, making more money, and the Bag End rig (3 P-Crystal-R over 3 Quartz subs per side) that I normally rent isn't always available. I'm trying to create a system that will be somewhat modular. I do events anywhere from a hundred people up to 2000. Obviously, I have a smaller rig for smaller (100-500) crowds. Most of my rooms are single court high school gyms. Some are dual court gyms, and some are fieldhouses, but I never need to throw further than two courts deep. It all comes out to be roughly 120-150 feet. All of the content would be pre-recorded. My crowd is mainly high school students.

I've been looking really hard at an EAW JFL210 constant curvature array. It would be pole mountable for small events, and for larger events, I would be able to fly it and angle it down slightly to reduce the slap echo I tend to get off the back wall of the gym. I'm planning on 3 boxes per side (possibly four). For subs, I am planning on using 2-4 Danley TH118's. Everything would be processed by an EAW UX8800 to take advantage of the Gunness Focusing. Amps would be Crown MAi.

I'm open to suggestions on any element of the rig, so let me know what you think. Do you think this would do it? What would you change?

Thanks!

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
Re: Sound System for Large DJ Events
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 04:10:58 PM »

What type of music are you playing ?

Garrett Vander Veen

• Garrett Vander Veen
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 06:24:44 PM »

What type of music are you playing ?

Mostly Top 40, with a bit of electro-house type music. I would like the rig to kick but still have some boom for when I drop some urban stuff.

I was hoping my thread wouldn't get moved here. I also do a little bit of live sound, so I wanted to see some responses from some LSR guys.

Kevin Esprella

• No Regret Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 01:02:55 PM »

What are you using now? Could you maybe build on your existing setup. If you are doing larger events maybe you can save money by adding on to your exiting setup and spend budget you have for the upgrade on possibly lighting. Hope that gives you a different perspective.

Also I'm curious on how you chose the JFL series for your tops and the Danley TH118s for your subs. FYI not being condescending. Have you heard them?

Todd Anisman

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 12:15:34 PM »

JFL210?  Naw, I don't think that's a great choice.  For 2000 peeps you need a lot more throw than that, and the Low Mid punch you want is going to be lacking.   And Danley TH118's are awesome subs, but again on the small side for your top end Application.  If you have a UX8800, then why not go with EAW all around?  I think You are a prime candidate for a KF650 or KF695 Over SB850 Setup, unless that's too big & Heavy - You didn't mention if that is a factor for you.  Another option you mihgt want to check out is the JBLSRX722F, which can fly, but also does 2 a side nicely, and is very light at about 75 lbs.

I like a dual Low Frew driver for Electro House & Hiphop - a lot of those freq's are centered in those drivers, as opposed to your Sub-bass. 

And 2 courts deep is 200'...

Todd A.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 08:11:54 AM »

JFL210?  Naw, I don't think that's a great choice.  For 2000 peeps you need a lot more throw than that, and the Low Mid punch you want is going to be lacking.   And Danley TH118's are awesome subs, but again on the small side for your top end Application.  If you have a UX8800, then why not go with EAW all around?  I think You are a prime candidate for a KF650 or KF695 Over SB850 Setup, unless that's too big & Heavy - You didn't mention if that is a factor for you.
The specs for the SB850 seem to indicate maybe a couple of dB more potential output than a TH118 and not much difference in LF extension, but the SB850 requires significant processing to get that response.  I also got the impression that the UX8800 isn't necessarily existing but rather might be part of the JFL210 array purchase.

The comparison of a constant curvature array to a trap array is an interesting one as one is basically fixed horizontal coverage with the vertical coverage directly related to the number of boxes in the array while the other is almost the inverse with fixed vertical coverage and the horizontal coverage increasing in steps based on the number of boxes.  So maybe the issue is given your venues and whatever flying options you have, would having the ability to vary the vertical or horizontal coverage make more sense?

Another option you mihgt want to check out is the JBLSRX722F, which can fly, but also does 2 a side nicely, and is very light at about 75 lbs.
However, the SRX722F also has a rather erratic vertical pattern, it's supposedly down to maybe 25 degrees at the 1,200Hz crossover then up to 75 degrees or so at 2kHz and then back down to around 40 degrees at 5kHz.  That means you can have to be careful with vertical aiming and coverage or listeners off axis vertically may experience a 'hole' in the repsonse centered around 1.2kHz due purely to the losses off axis.

And 2 courts deep is 200'...
Dual court gyms usually have the courts side by side rather than end to end, so 'two courts deep' may refer to the width of two courts and thus the 150' may be the distance to the far corners.

Matt Errend

• SR Forums
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 01:57:29 PM »

Another sub to consider is the Fulcrum TS221, it needs a lot of power but IMO it would make a fantastic DJ sub.

duane massey

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 10:36:36 AM »

Where are you located?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 10:36:36 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.