ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville - Opinion please  (Read 2444 times)

RevHitefieldjess

Yorkville - Opinion please
« on: November 24, 2006, 02:30:43 PM »

A has contacted a guy that sells and installs yorkville.
Yorkville looks good on their website and in their catalog, thats an obvious statement, everyone sells themselves as good.
(Ours is the poorest assembled cabinet in the market, an we use only matel horns, but you cant beat our price or guarantee)
I question the use of yorkville because i have never seen them in major use.  I never saw them at opryland, disney, branson, pigeon forge or concerts.
I was bidding on this project and now this man is also.
I know this church and am good friends with them.
Do I raise these questions?
Are my concerns have a base or are they point-less?

thanks
jesse

Tom Young

Re: Yorkville - Opinion please
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 09:19:35 PM »

You probably will not see Yamaha and lower priced JBL, EV, etc loudspeakers in major installs either. Unless you can afford the "big boys" then the fact that they are used for prominent installs or venues is irrelevant, IMO.

Yorkville makes some pretty good stuff that is well worth the money. They probably make some not so good stuff, too.

Unfortunately, the only way to ascertain whether a given product/model is "good" (or how good it is) is to evaluate it. You can do this yourself or go see/hear completed installs.

Years ago I discovered the Waveforce line from Yamaha. After I got hold of a few samples and evaluated them, I determined that this line was a huge cut above what they normally manufacture. But every time I specified it the contractors (who had not heard it) would assume it was normal Yamaha "junk" and they then expressed their doubts to the client. Once I convinced the client I knew what I was doing and then the systems were installed and optimized, the battle was over.

So don't place too much emphasis on the profile that a given brand or model has (or does not have). There are some real gems available out there for the less than top tier endusers and you just need to be open minded and then make sure they are what they claim to be.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

RevHitefieldjess

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 09:35:40 PM »

Maybe I should be more specific.
I was asked for my proposal which will be -
Soundcraft or A&H, EAW, and QSC.
They have been told that Yorkville is everybit as good as these listed.
I have a hard time seeing that when places that really work their systems dont use yorkville.
Opryland for instance used QSC amps for nearly every stage.
I dont think you could provide equipment for REO if Yorkville was the main product.

Yorkville may make a good produce and a better product also, but what im asking is, "Is Yorkville as good a performer as the ones listed above"?

thanks
Jesse

Handy Brent

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 11:03:33 PM »

The difference is that your church is not a commercial, professional venue, or a professional touring company, that use amplifiers and speakers for other reasons than sound quality, or what is the right tool for the job.  Touring companies buy for weight, truck pack, AC draw and tech rider friendliness.

People are using line arrays for everything now.  Are you doing that just because you see it at a "pro" venue?  At this point, one has to question how pro IS the pro sector when it comes to application of technology.

You can buy an EAW box with Eminence drivers that requires a ton of processing to sound good, or you can buy a Yorkville with B&C drivers that sounds good out of the box, for a lot less cash.  Few people make all of the drivers for their speaker systems.  So, don't let the names fool you because EAW makes a heck of a lot of turds.

The Yorkville stuff is tech rider friendly for the B and C level sound stages across the USA.  Their cabs are very heavy (TX), but they are very loud.  The high-mid boxes are pretty good with processing.  They can be a little agressive, which works for metal, hard rock, etc, etc.  I would not use them for speech only, especially in the near field.

John Ward

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 11:47:48 PM »

Success in the design and installation business is dependent on using the best sounding and most cost efective speakers and components that will satisfy the needs of the sanctuary / venue. There are some incredible sounding cabs that require virtually no procesing and are definately not 'top tier' in terms of name recognition. I use them when the situation dictates.

I have not used Yorkville in the sanctuary but you can bet if they have a speaker that sounded and performed to my personal standards, met the needs of the various ministries and were within the scope of the budget, I wouldn't hesitate to fly 'em.

Trust your ears and knowledge of the application before passing judgement on any piece of audio gear. Don't get hung up on brand or model. Both you and your client will be much happier in the end.
Professional Audio Systems
www.proaudiointegration.com

Tom Young

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 06:58:33 AM »

Some of the Yorkville stuff may be every bit as good as (or better than) some of EAW's line. The key here is what models are you comparing.

Just because you have been looking at EAW does not mean it is up the task for Opryland. They (and others) do make lower quality stuff that is actually a very good value..... but is not likely to be used in upper echelon installs.

Another thing you need to focus on is the quality of the actual loudspeaker system design, it's installation and how it gets optimized. You could very easily have top shelf loudspeakers that perform poorly because of how they are arrayed, how they ate wired and powered and then how (or by whom) they are measured and then aligned & equalized.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

RevHitefieldjess

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 05:31:36 PM »

Im pretty certain that Branson and Opryland before it closed is and was "Pro" venues.  They purchased their equipment because of the quality not price and convenience.
Stowing for travel may be a concern for some, Quality and sound overides for most.
Ive only heard yorkville in the store this man owns.  I would have put them on the level with Peavey.

Scott Hibbard

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 06:40:25 PM »

Hi Jesse,

Along the same lines as what Tom Young was saying...some of Yorkville's higher end speakers can be setup to sound just as good as some top name speakers.  The Unity series is a prime example - it's made in an installation model and I'd challenge anyone to find a clearer sounding speaker in that price range.  I've installed tons of their Coliseum series with much success.  

Yes there exists Yorkville products that you would be wise to avoid as they are focused on budget-minded users.  However, despite that fact, their TX, Unity, Elite and NX series are excellent tools for the right job and should not be ruled out just because it doesn't say EAW, Meyer or Renkus on it.  Not to suggest Yorkville in the same market, but perhaps the appropriate Yorkville products have been spec'ed for the job you describe and higher-end speakers aren't necessary??

As Tom mentioned, find out what model(s) have been specified.  By the way, which EAW model(s) did you specify??  Again the FRz series is quite different from the MK/ASe/MQ series.

ScottH

Handy Brent

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 08:43:38 PM »

Jesse Hitefield wrote on Sat, 25 November 2006 22:31

Im pretty certain that Branson and Opryland before it closed is and was "Pro" venues.  They purchased their equipment because of the quality not price and convenience.
Stowing for travel may be a concern for some, Quality and sound overides for most.
Ive only heard yorkville in the store this man owns.  I would have put them on the level with Peavey.

Branson isn't known for quality everywhere.  There were many Peavey venues up there for decades.

I can tell you that JBL GAVE Kenny Roger's Grand Palace their first system.  There were and are many, many deals like that up there.  So, just because you see it there, doesn't mean that was their first sonic choice.  It is a cut throat biz, and margins come first.

As far as saying was on par with Peavey, what models were you comparing?  Because there are some Peavey boxes out now, including subs, that will give many big names a run for their money.  Infact, in some shootouts, where people were biased before hand, have walked away with a new appreciation.

Compare apples to apples.  What models of Yorkville did you hear?  Were they processed and powered correctly?

RevHitefieldjess

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 12:51:46 AM »

Now thems the kind of answers I was looking for.
Im glad you named the yorkville products that are build well and sound well.  I dont know the name of the line i listened to but they were poor.
I know peavey has some newer items that are supposed to be good, i havent been around those particular ones.

A lot of time it comes down, simply to choice.  Ive listened to good names that sounded like poop, on the flip side Ive installed a ton a carvin and never had a prob. (obviously those aren in pro venues, mostly small churches)
Ive here good JBL and EV.

This church will come back and ask me what I think of this mans list of items.  I wont be able to tell them I know they are good by my experience but I want to be able to give some sort of educated answer as pro or con.

Thanks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 12:51:46 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.