ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Mixer Inputs (simple question I hope)  (Read 2121 times)

Steve A

Digital Mixer Inputs (simple question I hope)
« on: November 24, 2006, 11:33:16 AM »

Our church is looking to go digital in our new building and we've got a company who's made a list of things they want to install. In the past we've been using a Soundcraft 32 channel mixer and most services used anywhere from 12-26 of the channels. They are suggesting we go with a Yamaha 01V96. Now I looked online and this thing has 12XLR inputs and 4 1/4" inputs plus some digital things I have no idea about Smile. Here is my (most likely dumb) question. The mixer is listed as having 32 channels, but how does 12+4 inputs get me 32 channels that I can mix with? I haven't use a digital board in my life so be gentle  Laughing

Thanks

Ivan Beaver

Re: Digital Mixer Inputs (simple question I hope)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 12:34:45 PM »

There is a slot on the rear of the console for which Yamaha makes various input/ouput cards that will take various types of signals (analog and digital) to get in and out of the console.

We use the MY16at which will give 16 channels of ADAT both in and out (they do not have to be the same channels).  We use external mic preamps that have a ADAT signal output.

You can get 8 channels on a typical ADAT cable.

You can select the inputs (either those on the console or the external pres) to come up on any channel on the console, via the digital patch.
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Handy Brent

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 12:35:36 PM »

Always buy twice as many inputs and outputs as you think you need today.  I would go up a model to like the LS9, etc.

We have about five venues here with 01V96s, and they were maxed out quickly.  12 mic pres is far from enough.  You can buy outboard preamps and bring those in digitally, but you will have a nicer, neater package with a bigger console.

Lee Buckalew

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 12:46:04 PM »

Steve,
The 01V96v2 has 2 layers of 16 channels per layer.  The console does not have 32 built in inputs but rather has 12 A/D converters that are mic/line inputs (XLR) with phantom power switchable in 3 groups ofr 4, 4 that are pro line level (1/4" TRS), two that are consumer line level (RCA) but to use these you switch between the 1/4" and the RCA for inputs 15 & 16, 1 digital SPDIF input and output (RCA coaxial) and 1 ADAT input and output (8 channels, optical).  Built in you have 16 analogue inputs, two digital SPDIF inputs and 8 digital ADAT inputs.

Output-wise you have stereo left and right, 4 omni outs, 1 digital SPDIF (2 channels), 1 ADAT Optical (8 outputs) and a pair of RCA outputs.

To utilize other input/output needs you have to add an accesory card (there is one card slot) and the appropriate outboard interfaces if necessary.  Ther are many possible combinations for varying channel counts.

Look through the Yamaha ProAudio website and then see what other questions you have.

As far as the number of channels that you mention I would recomend looking at something of higher capacity.  Depending on your needs for input/output signal types either an LS9-32 (64 channels max) or a DM-1000v2 (48 channels max).  Again look at the differences online.  The LS9 gives you two layers, 32 channels each layer with 32 built in A/D's.  The DM1000v2 gives you 48 channels in three layers (16 each) with 16 built in line mic pre A/D's and 4 line level inputs with two card slots for expansion.  I have not used the LS9's yet but, based on the M7CL would say that they will probably be a better fit for the typical volunteer team moving from anaologue to digital than would the DM1000.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Ira White

• http://www.sanctuarysound.com
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 08:30:51 AM »

The LS9 is the definite choice for large-format economy, but the 01V96 will do if your budget simply won't allow more. A couple of application points:

If you add the MY8AT ADAT card and a couple of Yamaha or Presonus 8-ch mic preamps with ADAT in/out, you will spend near as much or more as for a second 01V96. Behringer's ADA8000 is the only such ADAT-compatible preamp I know of for under $200. I haven't used it myself and some Behringer products can be trick-or-treat, but I have heard decent feedback on this unit. (Maybe some others here have opinions.)

If you only need 8 more channels, I would add the MY8ADDA 8-in/8-out card (on Euro connectors). This would give you 8 analog balanced line inputs plus 8 more assignable analog outputs for all your monitor, recording, and remote speaker feeds. (There are only four Omni outs onboard.) If the inputs are for line level electronic sources such as electronic drums, keyboards, wireless receivers, playback sources, etc., you won't need to add a mic preamp.

If you added a second 01V96 to create a dual system, you would still be about half the cost of an LS9. Though a bit more involved, you can use a MIDI connection to have simultaneous scene change, and onboard ADAT connection to cascade the master and solo outputs between both boards with one 01V96 serving as output master. You would still need to set and store compatible scenes on each mixer separately, but everything else would act pretty much like a single board. Out of the boxes, you would end up with 32 faders for 24 mic/line and 8 stereo line channels, likely eliminating your need for any added input cards or preamps. I would just add an MY4DA or MY8DA card on the master board for more outputs.

Lastly, if you end up with one 01V96 with added inputs, it may be helpful to save space on the first fader layer (to avoid potentially confusing fader-layer switching) by putting channels requiring little or no individual adjustment on the second layer. This can include something like drum channels where you assign the kick to the first layer, then link the fader (fader-grouping) to other drum channels assigned to the second layer. Once balances are set, moving the kick fader adjusts all the other drums in the background and you've saved maybe 5-7 channels on the first layer for other things. The same can be done for multiple choir mics, stereo sources such as keyboards and media audio, etc.  

If all this sounds intimidating, you're back to the LS9.  Smile      
Ira White
Sanctuary Sound, Inc.

Steve A

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 02:05:59 PM »

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll take a look at the LS9-32 and talk with the people who control the money Wink

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 02:05:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.