ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing Mids  (Read 1692 times)

Jeffroy K

Missing Mids
« on: November 09, 2006, 11:48:57 AM »

We are running some Mackie 450's in our sanctuary, and they have worked really well, plenty of volume, solid low end, but there seems to be a distinct lack of upper mid range frequencies. (Between 1K & 4K)  I'm not sure if poor room acoustics (we have a VERY live room with a hollow floor and a big curved ceiling)have something to do with it, but it just seems hard to get certain instruments like the electric guitar to "cut" through the mix.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Bob Watkins

Re: Missing Mids
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 01:01:56 PM »

If it is a single instrument that is not cutting through, try inversing the phase of the instrument.

It is possible that you could have cancellation from reflections of the sound.

Also make sure you are not running an automatic feedback eliminator. These commonly cause problems becuase once they cut a frequency, they do not release it. Thus each feedback, keeps the cutting. When I used these, I reset them every few months back to the original settings.

Are you running a crossover on the feed to the amplifier? Make sure it is set correctly if you are and not missing the frequencies there.

Try sometime unplugging one of the speakers (not during a service) and see if the frequencies come back. This may be a quick check for cancellation.

Do you have an EQ in the system before the amp? Some people intentionally cut mids hard. If not, you may need one to level the sound out.

These are only a few tricks that can be checked to see if it is all working and potential fixes that I have seen in the past.

Let me know if any questions.

Bob Watkins

Brad Weber

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 01:54:31 PM »

Can you describe a little more about the physical space and speaker arrangement and maybe even the rest of the system?

Since the SRM450s are a full range, active speaker, then it is unlikely that you have much speaker processing in the system, although that could be a false assumption, especially if you also have subs.  You could have some polarity inversions in some cables or connectors although that would tend to affect complete sources and not just certain frequencies.  Don't know what you have for a mixer or how you have it routed, so I don't know if there might be something there, maybe as simple as the related EQ on that channel turned down.

Do you have the problem everywhere in the room?  Walk around the room, does the problem change as you move around, perhaps varying in level or the frequencies affected?  If so, this could be a sign of interaction between speakers (I don't know how many "some" is Smile ) or between the speakers and the room.  As Bob suggested, turning off individual speakers and seeing how that affects the problem could help in assessing whether it is related to a specific speaker or a group of speakers being on at the same time.  If feasible, moving the speakers a bit and seeing how that affects it might also give some information.

The room itself could be a factor.  Lots of people relative to the space, a large amount of typical 1" acoustical panels, openings in walls or the ceiling, etc. could certainly affect that frequency range.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Tom Young

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 02:19:43 PM »

First thing to do is to make sure there is no equalization going on you are not aware of. Then; feed music or pink noise into the ldspkrs and listen to (or measure with an RTA) the Mackie's where they normally are. Do this either directly (with nothing in-between the source and the ldspkrs) or with everything flat or bypassed that is in-between. This includes channel EQ and system EQ.  

If they sound/measure the same then take them (or just one) outside and listen to (or measure) it out there. If the upper-mid frequencies are more present (normal) in this setting, then you have an acoustics problem. This problem should change (when back indoors) as you move about and listen on and off axis to each ldspkr.  If the upper-mids are still lacking when you check them outside, you may have damaged HF diaphragms that still reproduce higher frequencies but not middle frequencies. This is not likely but could happen.

Let us know what you find.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 02:19:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.