ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: About SIA Smaart  (Read 1347 times)

Yan Ovtchinikov

About SIA Smaart
« on: October 14, 2006, 06:05:48 PM »

Hey guys umm i kinda read an article and saw SMAART Live come up, if anyone actually has any knowledge about this software can you give me some more info just a basic understand of its use.

Thank You

God Bless All

Ivan Beaver

Re: About SIA Smaart
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 06:35:07 PM »

You might want to checkout the website

http://www.siasoft.com/

It is basically a loudspeaker, acoustics measurement package that has a lot of power and is realtively cheap.

What exactly is your application.

I have been a Smaart user since JBL sold it, version 3.1 on the multiple floppy disks.
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Yan Ovtchinikov

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 08:26:13 PM »

Oh.... well i saw it in an article here and well i personally never heard of it so yh decided to ask someone about this measurements software btw seems pretty interesting.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 08:48:33 PM »

If you do a little research, you will find out that Smaart is the most widely used measurement system out there.  There are many users on this board.

Do a little research and then ask some specific questions.  It's hard to answer any questions that are so broad.  It is almost as bad as asking something like "I hear Yamaha is making digital consoles, anybody know anything about them".

Sorry to sound so negative, but it is just to general.

You can download a free 30 day demo from the link I gave earlier.

Be sure to read the manual for more details.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Tom Young

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 09:02:31 PM »

Like Ivan, I am a long time user of Smaart.

Also like Ivan I use it to optimize the systems I have designed and a good number I have not designed but need help.  

Optimization is the process of correcting problems in a loudspeaker system through measurement and listening, physical changes (re-aim a device, etc) and applying specific processing such as precision equalization, delay, crossover tweaking and gain adjustment. There is no such thing as a loudspeaker that does not require some optimization when installed. Some folks would lead you to believe that their loudspeakers do not require this process and some installers and consultants pooh-pooh this as well because they do not understand it and are unable to master it. Master is actually a poor choice of word, as none of us will ever master many things in electroacoustics. But we can certainly keep learning and getting better at it all.

While Smaart has changed our world by making this complexity of measurement available to so many people (by virtue of its low cost and intuitive interface), it has also created the impression in some that it is "easy" and/or "anyone can do it".

No one is going to be able to accurately measure and optimize a loudspeaker system without considerable time invested in the woodshedding that is absolutely required to figure out how 2-channel FFT measurement works, how loudspeaker systems work, acoustics, etc.

Sorry if this seems long-winded or over the top. I would be glad to asnwer any more specific questions you might have, as I am certain Ivan and others who use Smaart (and TEF, SIM etc) will be.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Yan Ovtchinikov

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 06:54:26 PM »

Thanks Alot that was really helpful i mean i really had no idea of what kind of software all professionals used but now i got it. By the way also got the demo seems pretty nice but looks like its gonna take alot of time learning it

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 08:08:36 PM »

The REAL learning issue is NOT how to use the software, but rather what to do with the information it gives you.  There is the lifetime of learning.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Yan Ovtchinikov

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 08:10:53 PM »

Yh that is true but thanks anyway Smile God bless

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 08:28:00 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Tue, 17 October 2006 17:08

The REAL learning issue is NOT how to use the software, but rather what to do with the information it gives you.  There is the lifetime of learning.

I can Read The Future.

I predict a thread along the lines of, "I Smaarted the room, and Smaart told me to set my EQ this way, and now my system sounds like poo."

-a
"Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 10:22:38 PM »

Ya mean like an "Automatic RTA"? Laughing

Been there-done that- It didn't work out so well.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 10:22:38 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.