ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cobining amplifier power  (Read 1184 times)

Rick Glover

Cobining amplifier power
« on: October 05, 2006, 06:04:32 PM »

I am currently looking for advice on how to daisy chain two amplifiers. I have only one signal line available and I need to have more power for additional speakers. I was always taught to do a simple dasiy chain by going out from amp one to amp two and amp two out to speakers? Is this correct or do you need to run two signal paths, one for each amp? Please comment on this. Thanks.
Rick Glover
Bible Baptist Church
MasterSoundGuy@hotmail.com
765-461-3417

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: Combining amplifier power
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 08:36:04 PM »

Rick Glover wrote on Thu, 05 October 2006 18:04

I am currently looking for advice on how to daisy chain two amplifiers. I have only one signal line available and I need to have more power for additional speakers. I was always taught to do a simple dasiy chain by going out from amp one to amp two and amp two out to speakers? Is this correct or do you need to run two signal paths, one for each amp? Please comment on this. Thanks.
Absolutely not! If your amplifier has the correct connectors you can daisy chain the input signal to both amps. You then plug the correct number of speakers into each amp. Never connect the output of one amp to the input of another.

Mac

Andrew Welker

Re: Cobining amplifier power
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 09:10:25 PM »

First, we need to know what speakers you're running and what amps, so we can help you better.  As Mac said, because the input of the amplifier is expecting a line level signal, you will damage the input section of the amp second in line.

A better option to get more power out of a single amplifier, if it is really needed, is to put the amp into bridge mode.  In this mode, you plug one wire of the line to the speakers into the + of channel one, and the other into the + of channel two.  There should be a switch on the back of the amplifier that will allow you to put the amplifier into bridge mode.  

Let us know what gear you're using, and we can help you better.

Andrew
Project Engineer
Ford Audio-Video
Denver, CO

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Cobining amplifier power
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 09:10:25 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.