ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it ok to bend firewire cable?  (Read 7984 times)

chris fletchall

• K & L Concert Systems
Is it ok to bend firewire cable?
« on: January 12, 2011, 01:44:29 PM »

Im building a rack that has a Mac Mini in it connected to a external harddrive via Firewire.

I do not have the ability to make my own Firewire cables and I cant find one that is the exact length I need (16") . So I have a 24" cable and I'm thinking of wraping the slack into it's self but this will cause a tight bend on the cable. I know it's not recomemded with any cable to bend this way, but I have seen it many many times with out harm to the functionality of the cable on cat5e.

If you guys have any thoughts or ideas please let me know on how I can keep this rack clean.

Thanks

ps. I win, first to post in the new a/v form... giggity

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Is it ok to bend firewire cable?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 02:02:04 PM »

Leaving the slack in a coil rather than hard bends will be easier on the cable.  I would do that if you can.  Hard bends may work, but they stress the cable and may cause it to fail.

Scott Raymond

• Nebraska
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 04:08:01 PM »

Chris,

As an average user I've not had trouble with my firewire cables but have had trouble with a DV jack (firewire) on a DVD recorder at church.  I suspect it got bumped by someone of something rather hard and it is now very loose and susceptible to dissconects if moved slightly. (Enter the gaff tape  :) ) So whatever you decide I'd also suggest keeping the connections out of harms way.  I'm not sure if it's the jack that's damaged or the connection to the board or chassis but it's annoying.l

Scott

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 10:06:25 PM »

coils (loose, 4" diameter min) have worked for me in the past on multiple FW drives for work, 002R pro Tools rig, etc.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 07:44:48 AM »

I do not have the ability to make my own Firewire cables and I cant find one that is the exact length I need (16") . So I have a 24" cable and I'm thinking of wraping the slack into it's self but this will cause a tight bend on the cable.
coils (loose, 4" diameter min) have worked for me in the past on multiple FW drives for work, 002R pro Tools rig, etc.
A 4" diameter coil represents around a 12.5" length of cable.  The 8" length noted (24"-16"=8") is around a 3.2" diameter coil, so getting a bit small.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 12:30:53 AM »

A 4" diameter coil represents around a 12.5" length of cable.  The 8" length noted (24"-16"=8") is around a 3.2" diameter coil, so getting a bit small.

Critical word is "minimum."

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 08:18:28 AM »

Critical word is "minimum."
Which was my point,  a 4" diameter coil would require a 12.6" cable length.  The 8" length Chris wants to address creates a coil of less than the 4" minimum diameter you noted.

Since it is in a rack and apparently coiling it would require a tight coil and tight bends, is there really any reason you can't just leave the cable slack?

chris fletchall

• K & L Concert Systems
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:00:27 PM »

Brad , I would love to leave the cable slack.lol But we leave every rack we touch looking its very best we can.  I ended up getting a longer cable and makeing the coils  and attaching it to the back of the rack shelf one each side of the coil to help strain and keep things looking nice.

I will post a pic when the rack is finished.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:00:27 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.