ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/4" concerns  (Read 1323 times)

Eddie Vansell

1/4" concerns
« on: September 21, 2006, 01:47:14 am »

I'm beginning to permanently install two peavey sp118's center stage and have concerns about the 1/4 inch inputs. Should I hardwire the amp to these instead of using 1/4 inputs? Any suggestions would be great!

Eddie

Brad Weber

Re: 1/4" concerns
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 04:34:58 am »

Don't know how the subs are configured in your system, but permanent installs typically use locking or fixed connections such as terminal/barrier strip or Neutrik Speakon connections rather than 1/4".  So you might want to consider using the Neutrik connectors on the SP118s.

If you have the SP118X that has only 1/4" connectors, then it might depend upon your particular situation.  Normally, and especially with new equipment, I would not recommend modifying a speaker and would say just use the 1/4".  But if the speakers are going to be located where somebody can readily access the connector or cable, the speakers are out of warranty and you are comfortable making such modifications, then adding a terminal strip connection and using that would be fairly inexpensive and would have some benefits.

Updated for being a lousy typist.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Handy Brent

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 11:00:32 am »

If the subs are permanently installed, anchored to the floor, etc, there is no need to buy locking connectors.  That said, I would do away with the 1/4" connector, replace it with a speakon or something that has more contact area.  By using a 1/4", you are limiting yourself power-wise.  Install market speakers use barrier strips for ease and it saves money for manufacturer and the installer, by not having to by speakons, etc.

Eddie Vansell

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 10:56:58 am »

Thank you.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 10:56:58 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.