ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Youth / Adult Mix Recommendations?  (Read 2047 times)

Darrel Steinhour

Youth / Adult Mix Recommendations?
« on: August 28, 2006, 04:18:26 PM »

New member - old visitor.
I lead our student ministry tech team (AV, FOH & Monitors)
Our HS student ministry has outgrown our 100 seat room with its own dedicated rig.  We are moving the Wed night student worship into the 500 seat adult auditorium this fall.  Analog board in the adult room.  We've had a couple of youth events in the adult auditorium in the past (NY Eve, Battle of bands, etc)  The rig is solid, great acoustics, no issue with the hardware.

What recommendations does anyone have who has been through this scenario before?  

The adults will be back in the room on Sunday morning.  Our typical youth worship is heavy on the low end, and high volume.  Adult worship is more "hip-hop" contemporary.

My team is used to resetting the board every Sunday and Wed in the student room, because we rotate student bands/musicians on a weekly basis.  The adult team has the same worship team for 2-3 weeks in a row, with very few changes between teams.

How can I help make the transition from student worship to adult worship as transparent as possible so that the adults never know we were in the room (soundwise anyway)?  I've thought about documenting all the settings, but on 30+ channels I know we'll miss something.  

Thanks for any comments and experiences.
DS

Bob Watkins

Re: Youth / Adult Mix Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 05:23:25 PM »

This is the ideal situation for a digital board. Look at a Mackie TT24 with the digital inputs also. This will give you 48 channels with EQ, Compression, gates, etc on every channel.

The large benefit is that you can have all your own settings and with the puch ofa recall button, they are at their settings. All recalled settings include EQ, compressors, monitors, Patching, etc.

If you do not go this way, look at your manual. Many times there are drawings of the desk. You can put a dot on teh sheet for every setting as a base setting. it may not be exact, but is always a starting point.

I have also used a tape recorder and talked all the settings into the recorded and then when setting back, I played back my recording and set each setting as they were on the tape.

I hope this helps.

Bob W

Darrel Steinhour

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 04:57:30 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts.  A digital board would be the ideal.  Maybe if we cause enough confusion between the two services I can convince the leadership to "trade up".  Twisted Evil

What do you think about having the adult team reset the board to the "youth settings" after the adult worship, and vice versa?  I think maybe that will make everyone involved recognize the difference needs of each team.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 06:23:16 PM »

I don't see that having each team set the others to be very helpful. I think it is more important that both teams fully understand that:

1. The system is being shared and settings WILL change.
2. Each needs to verify THEIR settings before going live.

If that is too difficult with the analog board then of course the digital is the way to go.

That said, getting the cue sheet setup to THEIR setting is certainly a good idea. You are going into THEIR space, after all.  But no matter how diligent you are, they should expect the unexpected...

andrew gissing

• http://www.stylusra.com.au
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 08:02:46 PM »

A pilot always checks his plane before taking off.

And there is a reason why you never find novice/volunteer pilots on their own flying a plane !

So audio isn't life/death like flying, but issues like this will sort your people into competent or not-competent. If you've got people who rely on the board never changing then umm.. that's leaning towards the non-competent side.

Which is ok; it's better to know what you've got and then you can deal with it. Add more training, make sure there is a person to help and so on.

I second Mike's view that each person needs to make sure the settings are where they want them. Other thoughts include:

* in the larger scheme of things, it's God's system and you're just looking after it for him. So there is no adult/youth. I was reading Cor 2 this morning and parts of that seem relevant here.

* need to look at the church as a whole; can't promote adults to the exclusion of youth, or vice-versa. It seems wrong to have a facility that's used 1 day a week and you can't use it on the other 6 for fear of changing settings.

* being a shared facility people DO need to be mindful of the other parties. Either leave the system as you found it or better yet, have a standard set so that everyone returns system to that state. This point is probably more to do with things on stage and maybe processor/graphic eq settings than individual channel pot positions.

* Again cue sheets for both are good ideas, and I think that whilst returning the board to the adult setting would be above and beyond what's required, Jesus too washed other people's feet. That's a point i'd commend you on. But not to the exclusion that the adult people should be competent enought to set it themselves.

Hope this helps,

andrew

Mike Sveda

• http://www.cohglory.org/Sunday@7/index.html
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 07:42:40 AM »

What size console is being  used in the main sanctuary? Are there unused channels that can be allocated for the youth team?  IF there are enough unused channels, you can allocate them to youth intruments and leave those set all the time.

Darrel Steinhour

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 08:35:00 AM »

As in most volunteer situations we have the highly competent, the marginally competent and the not so marginally competent to deal with.  All of which play an important role, because at one time we were all not so competent.   Smile

I really like the suggestion of returning to a standard setting.  That lays accountability on all teams equally and encourages the less competent to step up.  It also lays the responsiblity for quality sound back on the guy behind the board where it belongs. (not on the previous user)

Thanks for all the suggestions...I'll let you know how it goes.

Jon Norton

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 04:55:51 PM »

As usual I'm late to the party but I wanted to add in my vote for the use of a standard setting that everything should be at when any group leaves the room.  Personally, I'm don't care too much about what group a particular channel is routed to, but I tend to think that the considerate thing to do when leaving the board for the day/night is to take everything out of the monitors / fx / other places that are not the mains and flatten the channel eq's.  Also, any labelling you do (console tape, magnets, etc) that's unique to your group should be removed and/or stored in preparation for the next group.  

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 04:55:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.