ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: i want to assemble a sub woofer  (Read 2786 times)

Greg Hertfelder

Re:sub woofer
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 09:25:24 AM »

If buying new is out of the question, consider buying a used subwoofer system from the classified ads, or perhaps ebay, Craigs List, etc. There are always disc jockeys or local bands that go out of business, or spin off used gear, and sell for pennies on the dollar.

I feel that 50% of the retail price is a fair price for used gear (since there is no warranty), but there are a number of variables. Be sure to test the device thoroughly before you produce the cash. Ask the seller if they have a copy of the original sale receipt (to guard against buying stolen property). Also insist on a receipt from the seller, stating the manufacturer, model number, and serial number, and have the seller sign it. The seller could turn around after the sale and tell the police that you stole the device. If you paid cash, its his word against yours.

When you acquire the sub system, you will need to come up with a routing system so that only selected instruments (probably bass guitar, kick drum, keyboards, CD player) get routed to the sub. You don't want vocal mics, guitar, etc. routed to the sub.

Nolan Tininenko

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 11:08:39 AM »

Greg Hertfelder wrote on Thu, 03 August 2006 07:25

When you acquire the sub system, you will need to come up with a routing system so that only selected instruments (probably bass guitar, kick drum, keyboards, CD player) get routed to the sub. You don't want vocal mics, guitar, etc. routed to the sub.

With a system such as he is putting together, with a crossover, I think this is an unnecessary step and just adds a complication.  There's no need to get into aux-fed subs (or something similar) for a beginner (or even for many more advanced systems) unless that's something he really wants to get in to.

Just get your crossover into the system along with the subs, adjust the crossover point to match the speakers, maybe adjust the gain to match up the subs with the loudspeakers and you're pretty much done.
Audio Team Leader
Grace Place church
Berthoud, CO

Kevin Hu

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 05:37:25 PM »

Like what Greg said, you'd be amazed at the kind of gear you can get for used prices.  A lot of times also people simply auction off gear for events that end up not happening.

In terms of assembling your own subwoofer, you may have all the right components, but a lot of times what sets a pro grade and lower grade audio components is assembly exectution. So I'm definitely not trying to doubt your cab building skills, but am just saying its something you should think about especially if its your first time assembling a speaker cab.

As others have been saying too, its pretty important to have a crossover.  You'd be amazed at what a difference it will do to your sound.  My church was operating our system w/o one for about 4 years and as soon as we stuck one in, it really helped clean up the sound and increase sonic performance.

Zohar Pajela

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 10:23:29 PM »

thanks,
by the way the cabinet i plan to build is a bandpass type,
many dj's use that here, like L36,
i dont know if your familiar with that,
but i think it's more effective than ported or vented cabs,

Zohar Pajela

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 10:46:31 PM »

by the way,
this is our situation once again,
we made a solicitation letter to be sent in our church in las vegas asking for an amount of 4000$,
but there's no guarantee that we are to recieve that amount,

supposing our that the fun we can gather is only 2000,
200$ would be used to buy a behringer xover,
another 200$ for a behringer 31band eq..

the remaining 1600$ will be used in buying a sub,
an amp for the sub, and another amp for our s115v..

Bob Watkins

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 04:11:32 PM »

You also may want to look into powered subs. They already have the amp and crossover installed and they will cost within your budget that you listed.

Bob

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 04:11:32 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.