ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking too for a new board. . . .  (Read 1734 times)

Billy Merrill

Looking too for a new board. . . .
« on: July 26, 2006, 11:49:45 PM »

Soon, we will have to purchase a new board.

2 years ago we started a second service (contemporary) in our Family Life Center using some of our old equipment from the upgrade in the sanctuary. The trusty 8 year-old Mackie 1604 was placed in a Gig-Rig along with a CD/Tape Deck, EQ and effects processor for portability; add a few musicians and a praise band was started. Well the band got good, so good that about once a month they are now leading special worship services in other churches. All of the sound equipment is used both on Sunday mornings and for the road trips. In the near future, we will be going to IEM’s when funds allow.

It is now time for Mackie to retire. I’m out of channels, need more aux’s and better sound quality to keep up with the band. I’m looking for recommendations, not only for a board with good sound quality, but ease of use, and portability, most likely 24 channels, but not against 32.   I would love a digital board, but concerned that other volunteers would not be able to use or take the time to learn a new board as they have difficulty in using our analog boards. I am considering the Allen & Heath GL 2400 or GL2800, the Mackie TT24, and the Yamaha 01V96.

Thanks in advance for taking your time to reply.

In His Service,

Billy Merrill  

Philip Soash

Re: Looking too for a new board. . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 12:07:39 PM »

Billy,

We have both the Allen&Heath GL2200 and the Soundcraft GB8.  Both have served very well.  I don't know if they make the 2200 any more though.

I have not used digital as of yet.  It seems appealing but the learning curve would be something that you and your team must embrace.  I am sure it seem nice to have recallability and on board processing, but do you really need it?  Are you getting the results you want now?  I am not trying to talk you out of it, but offering some food for thought.

Remember to include the cost of a good road case in your purchasing budget.

Happy hunting!
Phil

"That's it!  I'm coming out of the booth!!"

Billy Merrill

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 08:57:02 PM »

Thanks for your reply Philip.    

The Allen & Heath board we are looking at is the GL2400 which replaced the GL2200. I am not a fan of using a lot of outboard gear to color the sound. But one of the bells and whistles on a digital board, is compressors on each channel. We currently run 8 of the 16 channels on a compressor. I would like to have this availability on all of them. We have the ACP 8 compressor which cost about $800 or $100/channel. If we buy compressors for just 24 channels, thats an additional $1800. A GL2400-32 would run about $2500+ putting us @ $4300+ not including a case. I could deal into a lightly used Mackie TT24 for $1200+ more. The additional $'s are worth the price to be able to reset everything back to our home settings after a road trip. As for the learning curve of the digital board, I too have never used one. I am very technical person, so I think learning curve of a digital board for me should be short. On our AV team only 2 of us have the talent and desire to mix the praise band. So training just one other person would not be a problem. My Pro-Con list is kind'a long.

One key that is always a factor is funding. It is eaiser to raise/beg/pray for $2500 than $5500. The purchase of the A&H GL2400 would be sooner <3-6 months verse digital >12 months. In either case, the board is needed now.

Thanks again for posting.

Praying for a new board,

Billy Merrill

"The wrong gear at a bargain price is still the wrong"    

Bob Watkins

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 10:30:26 PM »

This is one of the large problems when specifying in new gear. I have used all of the boards you have listed. There are significant benefits to all.

The digitals allow more "features" but they have a learning curve and you can't get anywhere fast. Getting rid of feedback on a TT24 is finding the channel, hitting a button, hitting the touch screen for EQ and then adjusting. A Manual board you can reach directly to the EQ.

If you are comfortable with the technology, they work well, but expect anyone that visits and has an engineer will turn up their nose at this and any event will require someone to be there that has the board training. They not as intuitive.

My opinion is stick with the GL series unless you really need the compressors on every channel. That is the best benefit of the TT24.

Bob W

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 10:34:01 PM »

Where did you get a price of $5500 for an 01V96 and mic pres?  You can get it for quite a bit less than that-unless you plan on using the Yamaha mic pres, in which case I would recommend just strapping 2 01V's together for less cost.

You also need to consider the  power of a full parametric eq on in's and outs along with the power of recallability.  Also the built in effects are nice.

I typically use an MY16AT card for the additional mic pre inputs.  This keeps the ADAT ports open for other things if needed.  You could say a couple of bucks by using just the MY8AT and the onboard ADAT ports.

Disregarding what others may think, we still use the Behringer ADA8000's as the mic pre of choice.  They now meet the FCC regulations.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Lando

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 11:04:31 PM »

If you decide to go analogue, the GL2400 is a wonderful choice and I highly recommend it.  I just installed a 32-channel GL2400 in the youth facility at the church I work for, as well as a 48-channel GL2800 in the main auditorium.  They are great
walk-up-and-mix consoles that sound great, have great
features, and are extremely easy to learn to use. I can also tell you one console that I would avoid. I used the GL2400 to replace a Yamaha MC32/12 console. Don't consider that board, it is the worst designed board (for Front of House) that I have ever used.  It was designed to be flexible FOH console or in-ear-monitor board, with this group/aux diversity thing.  It would make a good monitor desk, but an absolutely horrible FOH console. Soundcraft is great too, but quality and features for price, Allen and Heath just can't be topped.

Chris Batchelor

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 12:58:06 PM »

I would recommend the Soundcraft GB8 series.  You get ALOT of bang for your buck.  I upgraded from a Mackie 40 ? 8 to a gb8-40 and havn't regreted a thing!

Give these guys a try, they gave my church a big discount, and lots of support!
http://productionoutlet.com/product_info.php?products_id=123 4

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 12:58:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.