ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL PRX612M vs RCF NX12-SMA  (Read 21887 times)

George Pavloff

JBL PRX612M vs RCF NX12-SMA
« on: April 11, 2011, 05:03:37 PM »

I need mains for small venue sound reinforcement. No subs will be used (portability is important for me, plus I have access to larger speakers if the gig demands it.) I consider PRX612M and NX12-SMA as candidates.

Reading the specs, the JBLs are both smaller and lighter. Also, the frequency response (-3db) is 50Hz-20kHz for the RCFs vs 60Hz-17.5kHz for the JBLs. However, when I compare the frequency response curves the PRX612 seems to do much better in the low end region. Any explanation for these discrepancies?

The RCFs have Floor/Free Field EQ modes which may improve their frequency range. But if the NX12s have a worse low end then I won't even go for a A/B at my dealer.

Thanks in advance to all good ProSound people :)

Scott Bolt

Re: JBL PRX612M vs RCF NX12-SMA
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 06:57:21 PM »

I need mains for small venue sound reinforcement. No subs will be used (portability is important for me, plus I have access to larger speakers if the gig demands it.) I consider PRX612M and NX12-SMA as candidates.

Reading the specs, the JBLs are both smaller and lighter. Also, the frequency response (-3db) is 50Hz-20kHz for the RCFs vs 60Hz-17.5kHz for the JBLs. However, when I compare the frequency response curves the PRX612 seems to do much better in the low end region. Any explanation for these discrepancies?

The RCFs have Floor/Free Field EQ modes which may improve their frequency range. But if the NX12s have a worse low end then I won't even go for a A/B at my dealer.

Thanks in advance to all good ProSound people :)

I have not heard anything about the RCF NX12-SMA in any of the powered speaker discussions I have had over the last 8 months (and I have been researching it extensively).  The RCF 312/412's are not as high output as the JBL PRX612, and the RCF 722's are double the price, but considered to be a very good speaker by those that own them and have heard them.  I suspect that the NX12's are not widely used for FOH based on my discussions.

I did lots of research on powered speakers in the <1K USD range and found that there are some really good speakers at this price point.  I auditioned all the speakers I could listen to side by side.  I was unwilling to purchase speakers based on specifications or recommendations alone (although these factors were certainly part of my final decision).

After listening to the QSC K12, JBL PRX612, and Yamaha DSR112 side by side in an extensive audition of live acoustic music and vocals as well as a combination of different recordings, I found that the Yamaha DSR112 sounded the best.  I equalized each speaker to the best sound I could get using a parametric channel eq and then listened to each speakers output over a range of volumes with different inputs (all eq coloring buttons were disengaged).  I was able to switch quickly between speakers to get a good A/B.

The DSR was particularly strong in the low and low mids over the other two speakers.  It also had better vocal clarity.  The K12 ran out of gas earlier than the other two speakers and began to sound harsh and broken when limiting kicked in.

The DSR frequency response is below:

If you have a local guitar center near you, you can easily hear these speakers side by side yourself.  I would encourage you to listen to them yourself and pick the one you like the best ;)

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:17:01 PM »

If you take a careful look at the response chart for the RCF, you will see that they lied on their "frequency response (-3db) is 50Hz-20kHz" spec.

At 50Hz the drop off is down to 81 dB, nearly 20 dB less than that of 100 Hz. That does not adhere to the (+/- 3dB) tolerance. It looks like the same thing occurs above 10,000 Hz.

It looks to me like the response is something more like 85Hz-15kHz.

Now go look at the JBL chart and you will see more truth-in-advertising.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:23:12 PM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:33:11 AM »

12 inch speaker shootout - with a clear winner (all under $1.099)
http://www.peachstateaudio.com/ccpage/ccpage.htm

Bob Kenton

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 12:19:55 PM »

Im just guessing here, I would almost bet that the NX box cost way more than double the PRX. Probably more than the Art 722 box too.

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 12:22:21 PM »

If you take a careful look at the response chart for the RCF, you will see that they lied on their "frequency response (-3db) is 50Hz-20kHz" spec.

At 50Hz the drop off is down to 81 dB, nearly 20 dB less than that of 100 Hz. That does not adhere to the (+/- 3dB) tolerance. It looks like the same thing occurs above 10,000 Hz.

It looks to me like the response is something more like 85Hz-15kHz.

Now go look at the JBL chart and you will see more truth-in-advertising.

Sorry those JBL numbers are inflated the prx612 does not have a 134db peak at full range

George Pavloff

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 03:02:38 PM »

Sorry those JBL numbers are inflated the prx612 does not have a 134db peak at full range
I am actually starting to think that all specs are 'fake' - I seriously doubt the 134db SPL of PRX612 as well.

Im just guessing here, I would almost bet that the NX box cost way more than double the PRX. Probably more than the Art 722 box too.
The JBLs are 80% of the price of NX12-SMA models at my dealer. Also it seems most people rate RCF above JBL. That's why I expected more from the NX12 speakers.

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 03:07:17 PM »

I am actually starting to think that all specs are 'fake' - I seriously doubt the 134db SPL of PRX612 as well.
The JBLs are 80% of the price of NX12-SMA models at my dealer. Also it seems most people rate RCF above JBL. That's why I expected more from the NX12 speakers.

I think the art series from rcf are better than JRX, EON, PRX and MRX from JBL. The NX are a step above the art series

Bob Kenton

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 03:16:03 PM »

Im not sure where you are located but around here the NX12 is around $1900.00 and I can pick up a PRX for under $600.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 05:03:29 PM »

What makes you say that? The overall sensitivity would have to be 104dB to reach 134dB at full wattage. I don't see the sensitivity published anywhere in JBL's specs, but it certainly is possible. I've seen compression drivers with 118dB sensitivity at 1 watt.
Member since 2005.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 05:03:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.