ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha LS9 needed a reboot for audio to flow  (Read 11326 times)

dylan.stoddard

Yamaha LS9 needed a reboot for audio to flow
« on: April 11, 2011, 04:22:39 PM »

I had a scary incident moments before a recent event began. I do a lot of conference audio, and my primary console is the Yamaha LS9-32. I really enjoy working with these consoles although I have the same complaint about the preamps as everyone seems to.

Anyway, right before the gig was about to go I was standing at the podium with the client and testing the sound for her video playback. That worked no problem, but I noticed that I wasn't hearing myself in the PA and I was standing right in front of the mic talking. So I ran over to the console and yes the fader was "ON" and up, and bussed to the proper output, and the output meters were bouncing, but there was nothing hitting the amps. This was just happening with the podium mic. I could hear it in my headphones and see the channel meter hitting -18 dB or so, but no audio to the room.

I checked my patching, switched the mic, checked the line (sweating through my shirt at this point). Luckily the start time had been pushed back so I had a moment to really check all the points of failure and I realized it had to be the console. I did a hard boot of the console and the podium mic was immediately in the room PA.

I had had three other mics and laptop audio all working properly, flowing through the STEREO BUS, through the internal RACK GEQ, to the amps, to the speakers, but the podium channel (5) was not making it out.

It's really weird, and I've never heard of this happening before, but it has greatly shaken my confidence in this product.

Has anyone else experienced this anomaly?

dylan.stoddard

Re: Yamaha LS9 needed a reboot for audio to flow
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 04:29:25 PM »

PS-

The console was running firmware V1.17
The two expansion cards have a MY16-C II Cobranet card and an MY16-AT Adat card

I had a scary incident moments before a recent event began. I do a lot of conference audio, and my primary console is the Yamaha LS9-32. I really enjoy working with these consoles although I have the same complaint about the preamps as everyone seems to.

Anyway, right before the gig was about to go I was standing at the podium with the client and testing the sound for her video playback. That worked no problem, but I noticed that I wasn't hearing myself in the PA and I was standing right in front of the mic talking. So I ran over to the console and yes the fader was "ON" and up, and bussed to the proper output, and the output meters were bouncing, but there was nothing hitting the amps. This was just happening with the podium mic. I could hear it in my headphones and see the channel meter hitting -18 dB or so, but no audio to the room.

I checked my patching, switched the mic, checked the line (sweating through my shirt at this point). Luckily the start time had been pushed back so I had a moment to really check all the points of failure and I realized it had to be the console. I did a hard boot of the console and the podium mic was immediately in the room PA.

I had had three other mics and laptop audio all working properly, flowing through the STEREO BUS, through the internal RACK GEQ, to the amps, to the speakers, but the podium channel (5) was not making it out.

It's really weird, and I've never heard of this happening before, but it has greatly shaken my confidence in this product.

Has anyone else experienced this anomaly?

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 12:17:45 AM »

Any chance your input channels need a good physical cleaning?

Ivan Feder

• Paris, France
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 03:13:36 AM »

I totally lost my confidence in the LS9 since this happened to me!:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,1133.msg5696.html#msg5696
I have now moved on to a Roland V-Mixer M300  ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:16:29 AM by Ivan Feder »

TomBoisseau

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 11:20:37 PM »

Did you have the LS9 plugged into a UPS?

Tom

dylan.stoddard

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 08:59:04 PM »

Any chance your input channels need a good physical cleaning?

They look pretty clean. A little compressed air and rubbing alcohol couldn't hurt.

dylan.stoddard

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 09:02:41 PM »

Tom

No UPS. Actually, no real power conditioner either. Dirty ol AC right from the wall via crowded power strip.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 10:59:44 AM »

In this modern age of switching supplies, crappy wall power is not really an issue. UPS will save you if the cable gets kicked out but isn't particularly needed for anything else.

My last experience with a UPS was a show where the provider had his Roland digital snake plugged into one in case the city-provided wall power should happen to fluctuate for no apparent reason. The UPS went down and took the whole show with it.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 12:17:46 PM »

I totally lost my confidence in the LS9 since this happened to me!:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,1133.msg5696.html#msg5696
I have now moved on to a Roland V-Mixer M300  ;D

I think if one were to expand the statistical sample size beyond your own personal experiences that would turn out to be a pretty weird move.

As far as I know it's pretty much consensus that digital consoles don't get more stable than Yamaha's.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

TomBoisseau

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 11:15:03 PM »

Tom

No UPS. Actually, no real power conditioner either. Dirty ol AC right from the wall via crowded power strip.

There have been previous discussions about using UPS’s on Yamaha consoles, and some swear that they never have had a problem since they began doing so.  I am one of them!  I've had a couple lock ups (or something similar) with my LS9 before I started using a UPS.  Since using a UPS... none!

I personally believe that some of the Yamaha digital boards (01V96 seems to not be one of them – very stable)  tend to react to even the smallest power glitch, even something that you and I might not be able to observe.  I ALWAYS use a UPS on my LS9.  I’d encourage you to do the same.

Tom

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 11:15:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.