ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions regarding proper A/V setup  (Read 2968 times)

Hansel Anasarias

Questions regarding proper A/V setup
« on: June 28, 2006, 10:33:24 PM »

hi all,
i've been trying to learn about projection and multimedia etc,  i was wondering if i am on the right track?  i think this is the proper signal flow in a basic order.  please tell me if i'm wrong:

1.  Starting source = computer/dvd/vcr/live video feed.  From what i understand, those components input into, either a mixer or switcher (if they input into a mixer, then those signals would obviously be mixed together at some point, such as lyrics with live video feed etc).

2.  Mixer/switcher = from the mixer or switcher, the main output signal sends into a distribution amplifier.  then, from the dist. amp, signals spider out to whatever screens the final signals are sent to.

3.  destination = prjector/stage monitor screens/foyer tv/dvd burner, etc.

Uncertain claims:
* i was informed about using a scan converter between the computer output and the mixer/switcher in order to convert the computer signal to a mixable, tv format signal.

* i was told that if i maximized the distribution amplifier outputs, i could then take one of the ouputs and send that one into another distribution amplifier. (let's say for a basement with multiple tv screens in other rooms or hallways, or overflow room etc).  but, only if the outputs from the dist. amp. were maxed out.

Please tell me if i am totally wrong, or just missing some components.  i am trying to learn as much as possible.  of course there other things to consider, but i just wanted to make sure i have basic signal flow down. (or not)

thanks for your input.
-Hansel

Brad Weber

Re: Questions regarding proper A/V setup
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 04:05:48 PM »

Hansel,

You have the basic typical order correct; sources to switching/mixing/processing to distribution to receivers (displays, projectors, etc.).  For some applications combining the switching and distribution is the best option using a router.

You probably will not get many replies as you are asking a very general question.  Is this for a particular installation?  If so, then you could probably discuss this with your consultant or dealer/installer.  If this is just for general education then you need to look at some of the general books and educational programs out there, perhaps some that InfoComm offers or the Extron's basic video course.

I would recommend not stepping into the middle of a mixed live production/presentation system as you seem to be describing without having a pretty good understanding of everything.  That being said, I will try to give some answers.

Yes, you typically need a scan converter to convert computer video (VGA, DVI, HDMI, etc.) to "video".  But a few caveats.  1) You may also need other converters to convert between other signal types, such as between component video, composite video, SDI, etc. 2) If you have a computer video card that has a video output a scan coverter may be unnecessary. 3) There are many 'grades' of scan converter over a wide price range and while the cheap ones at the computer store may work for a small screen or with simple graphics they are usually not acceptable for large screen displays and production. 4) You are likely much better off running computer video to projectors and other displays as computer video and using scan converted signals only where necessary.  In fact, in cases where you are trying to mix video and computer graphics it may be better to do this in the computer and display that signal.

As far as the distribution amplifier or "DA", you typically can cascade DAs (run the output of one into the input of another).  Any decent DA will have buffered outputs so you can use as many or as few of the outputs as you want.  Some DAs also have a looping input that is there specifically to allow cascading multiple DAs without losing any outputs.

There are so many "it depends" that it is difficult to be any more specific without knowing more information on exactly what you are trying to do or why.  If this is for a church installation, then unless you have a very good understanding of the systems, technology and application I would strongly recommend that you get a good consultant and/or installer involved as soon as possible.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
www.museav.com

Hansel Anasarias

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 03:57:13 AM »

Thanks for the reply!!

well, yes. this setup will defintely be for a H.O.W. setup.  something like computer/dvd player as a starting source.  then that video signal only, to the projector and stage monitors.

I was just wondering, if our stage is fairly small, what are good ideas for stage monitors (video).  It's roughly a 40'x16' stage, and it makes an upside down "v" going downstage to a 10' wide wall, where the baptismal is located behind.  Right now, we use our projection on an a/v cart that we push out of the midle front when not in use.  On that cart sits a 19" monitor for stage monitoring.  In the near future, we will need possibly 3-4 monitors, for our growth of musicians and backup singers.  I was wondering if still use the 19" monitors, or go with possibly TV's, or even rear projection for the stage people.  Thanks again for any input.

-hansel

Happy July 4th to all.  enjoy your families!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 03:57:13 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.