ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Open letter to Danley Sound Labs  (Read 17598 times)

Frederik Rosenkjær

Open letter to Danley Sound Labs
« on: April 11, 2011, 02:20:09 PM »

After having gotten some real gigging experiences with my 2 x SH46s I'm only beginning to understand how ridiculously powerful they are and they keep making me smile at how fantastic they sound.

Now my vote for next hole to plug in the product line-up is a smaller speaker with emphasis on power. The compromises you have purportedly made with respect to sound quality on the SH46 are laughably small. I HAVE heard the SH50 albeit not side by side with the SH46 but I do not feel there's any significant difference. In any case, the worst sounding DSL-box I've ever heard still sounds better than any box of any other maker I've ever heard.

But, still I know of no replacement for a single d&b Q7 pr. side for small gigs, when it comes to power AND sound quality in a small package. The SH46 is too much for one person to handle alone every day and way overkill for ~200 crowds, so the world needs (or at least I need) a half-size and weight SH46, perhaps with a bit wider coverage (for single cab use) but with the power to do rock drums for these crowd sizes. The SH46 proves you can do it.

My $.02
Engage.  ;D
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Open letter to Danley Sound Labs
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 04:35:07 PM »

After having gotten some real gigging experiences with my 2 x SH46s I'm only beginning to understand how ridiculously powerful they are and they keep making me smile at how fantastic they sound.

Now my vote for next hole to plug in the product line-up is a smaller speaker with emphasis on power. The compromises you have purportedly made with respect to sound quality on the SH46 are laughably small. I HAVE heard the SH50 albeit not side by side with the SH46 but I do not feel there's any significant difference. In any case, the worst sounding DSL-box I've ever heard still sounds better than any box of any other maker I've ever heard.

But, still I know of no replacement for a single d&b Q7 pr. side for small gigs, when it comes to power AND sound quality in a small package. The SH46 is too much for one person to handle alone every day and way overkill for ~200 crowds, so the world needs (or at least I need) a half-size and weight SH46, perhaps with a bit wider coverage (for single cab use) but with the power to do rock drums for these crowd sizes. The SH46 proves you can do it.

My $.02
Engage.  ;D

I want a dedicated, killer front-fill box.  Extra points if it can do under-balcony duty, too.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 05:02:32 PM »

I want a dedicated, killer front-fill box.  Extra points if it can do under-balcony duty, too.

I concur.

Are you  listening. Mr Danley ? Mr Hedden ?
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 05:03:38 PM »

What does that mean, specifically? I mean - like an SH95 or SM96 with more power? Or what are you missing in the current line-up?
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 10:31:59 PM »

I concur.

Are you  listening. Mr Danley ? Mr Hedden ?
It on on the "to do list".  Infocomm??
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 10:36:59 PM »

Now my vote for next hole to plug in the product line-up is a smaller speaker with emphasis on power.

My $.02
Engage.  ;D

I am working on something exactly like what you are talking about-but with a different pattern.-and other products as well.  But I can't give any more information now.  My plan is by infocomm in June or earlier.

Patience my friend.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 05:23:59 PM »

would the sh-mini work?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 06:24:47 PM »

would the sh-mini work?
In a lot of cases (it depends on the particular needs of the customer), the SH mini is to tall (and a good number of people are using them as such).  Especially for most underbalcony situations.  I am looking at something that is a little over 1/2 the vertical size with a more full range response and greater output.  It is still on the "list" right now-so only conceptual.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tom Danley

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 03:57:23 PM »

Hi Frederik, all

I am glad you’re enjoying the speakers AND that you wrote about them, it is hard to describe how something sounds on paper haha.   Do try them in your living room, I could never go back to electrostats.

I think the box Ivan mentioned is percolating might be along the line Tim and Tom mention as well,   it will be a wide angle (low Q) high front to back directivity box which is compatible / array able with an adjacent box or boundary (like the floor / wall / ceiling) without producing reflections,  like the other synergy horns with a cut angle.   

On the front side, It is something like an SH-100 but larger where the modest appearing horn actually raises the mid band sensitivity a bunch (which you must pad out in the Xo, allowing the driver to loaf in the vocal range). 

That gives a CD coverage and very high front to back sound level ratio (cool for installations) even though it has a wide angle.   
The driver geometry and Synergy style crossover like in your SH-46  boxes produce an output absent the phase shift normally present in passive filters which makes it appear to be one driver with no lobes or nulls in the pattern.

An advantage of having all the drivers connected to one horn is that the horn mouth can be as large as the cabinet and the pattern loss frequency is connected to that size and angle.     
The other “sharp” side of that same sword is the cutoff at the pattern edge is much more noticeable and so having the at least the angle relative to the peeps is very desirable.

So, lets say you had a typical speaker on a stick job  like you mentioned.   With Harry Potters wand in hand, would you make it louder, make it smaller, make it sound better, change the radiation pattern, or relative to that one, what direction would you go (being somewhat realistic) to make it ideal for your use?
If one had a dedicated subwoofer on the ground (allowing a low corner near 100-125Hz), one could make something very loud and pretty small on a pole I think.
Best regards,
Tom Danley

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 05:07:48 PM »

{much appreciated good news snipped}

So, lets say you had a typical speaker on a stick job  like you mentioned.   With Harry Potters wand in hand, would you make it louder, make it smaller, make it sound better, change the radiation pattern, or relative to that one, what direction would you go (being somewhat realistic) to make it ideal for your use?

For a Newbie, you sure ask a lot of questions!  ::)  My answer is, 'yes.'  Smaller/lighter/better is the mantra; throw in 'cheaper' and the search for the Grail is on.  Changing patterns/aiming in the field would be very, very cool.  How about a "zoom"?  2:1 ratio, a 70°x70° becomes 35°x35° for example... or 90 to 45.  How about selectable asymmetrical coverage, on the line of the Kudo, but that sounds good?

For the front fill application, I want a wide horizontal with a fairly short vertical, say 120° x 40° with a long term output of around 120-126dBA @ 1 meter; flat from 200-ish Hz to infrared (nudge, wink...16k will do).  The under-balcony version would probably need 60° vertical.  Both need to have a profile of <10", width is less of a consideration.  Let me know how the wand thing works out. :D

If one had a dedicated subwoofer on the ground (allowing a low corner near 100-125Hz), one could make something very loud and pretty small on a pole I think.
Best regards,
Tom Danley

I'll be happy to test drive the result of your thinking, Tom.

Thanks for your post.

Tim Mc
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 05:09:49 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 05:07:48 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.