ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Open letter to Danley Sound Labs  (Read 17497 times)

Randall Hyde

Re: Open letter to Danley Sound Labs
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 04:49:34 PM »

Why does it matter how much power they handle as long as they get to the SPL needed? Just get an amp that does it.
Amen. As someone who was previously guilty of this sin, I concur.
I used to tell people "look for the best max power handling to weight ratio to volume ratio" in the cabinets you buy. Then I found some speakers that are 10 dB less sensitive than the ones I normally use and that changed that statement real quick.

And I would like to turn the wand around.

What I would like would be for users to stop prejuding a particular product by either its "power handling" or by the driver used inside.

It should all be about how well the particular product does the job-sound quality-coverage-loudness-freq response etc-NOT by what means it accomplishes it.

I hear it all the time-"Well that product only has a "so and so" driver in it, there is no way it could work".  Have you actually tried listening to it? or is everything prejudged on old outdated notions?

So now everybody is a "loudspeaker designer"?  Like the old judgement of magnet weight when neo came out.  Well that magnet is so small-there is no way it could produce that much sound and so forth.

I will leave it at that-but could go on and on.
Don't I hear that complaint quite frequently over at the BFM forums? :-)

Seriously, though, when a product has a "so and so driver" in it, my first thought is my sound engineer who can't keep the "power amp meters out of the red."  Ought to fire the dude before he blows up my speakers, but that's where having *good* drivers really helps (JBLs, in this particular case).

More on topic: I must admit that I learned about Danley a while back while perusing the BFM forums to see if there was anything useful to me there. As soon as I get my current "A" system completely built up (need to add 6 SRX 712m or VRX 915m monitors, a couple more SRX 725 cabs and two more SRX 728s subs), I'm definitely planning on my next "A" system to be Danley. The TH118 cabs along with something SHxx looks really cool. So I'd certainly be in the market for something (though I'll probably need to handle a crowd of 5,000+ outdoors with whatever I come up with for the new "A" system, so maybe the small top wouldn't be appropriate, I don't know yet). OTOH, some small SHxx cabs for "speakers on sticks" jobs would be awesome!
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Nathan DePaulo

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 10:51:13 PM »

* ~1000W power handling

Why does it matter how much power they handle as long as they get to the SPL needed? Just get an amp that does it.

You know when I wrote that, it was more to say "doesn't need to be such a high power handling..." because with the SH46, SH64 & SH 96 rated at 2800W and with some of their subs going off into "you gotta be kidding land" it seemed like that was a trend.  I presume, correct me if I'm wrong, significantly higher power handling could increase the cost of the box, and that wasn't a feature I was eager to pay for on that specific product I was describing.

I wanted the box to get to ~133db.  If he makes a more sensitive box with lower power handling then I'll still be happy. But since I picked a sens of 103db, then it'd take 1000W to get up another 30db. These are really kinda arbitrary numbers I picked, but were for the purpose of explaining my desires. Er, I also have a couple of amp racks with 1000W @ 8Ohm for the highs, so that might have been a factor.  But no prejudice was intended.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 12:47:05 PM »

I would add one comment to this:
If the SPL you need is sufficiently high that you've got to provide a *ton* of power, simply adding amps isn't always as easy as it sounds. Getting the power for those amps can be a problem. I have a 60KVA geni and once that's exhausted, I'm in a bit of a jam.

More on topic, boy, those SH46 boxes look like just the ticket for me. Wish I could carry (and afford!) SH25 boxes!  10 dB over my SRX boxes; now that would save me from having to tow another generator to a show  :)

While in a Danley thread, I'm currently setting up my "A" system to handle as many as 3,000 people outdoors. Someday, I'd like to boost that to 5,000 people (outdoors, narrow but long crowd). What would be a good DSL setup for something like that? Can you effectively combine an SH25 with an SH46 (or multiple copies of each) to cover near and far groups? I see the DH50 has a small companion box for the first few rows; I'm just wondering if the longer-throw cabinets mesh together well, too.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 12:47:05 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.