ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Witch small mixing console is the best, MG102C or Notepad124  (Read 3728 times)

Othmane Alaoui

• Produkson - Sound & Lights
Witch small mixing console is the best, MG102C or Notepad124
« on: April 11, 2011, 01:19:13 PM »

Dear PSW community,

My small business is growing ! I need to get 2 consoles. The application is 100% AV corporate events. Conferences where you need 3 microphones, 2 powered speakers ... I have multiple events going on in the same time. 

So I am wondering witch console is better (Yamaha MG102c or Soundcraft Notepad 124). ?

They both have 4 x XLR inputs. Eq's are similar. What about pre-amps ? Quality of assembly ...
The Yamaha has compressor on input 1 and 2 ...  the notepad is 40$ more expansive ...

Thank you,
Othmane Alaoui
Produkson

Stephane Desormeaux

Re: Witch small mixing console is the best, MG102C or Notepad124
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 04:11:45 PM »

Dear PSW community,

My small business is growing ! I need to get 2 consoles. The application is 100% AV corporate events. Conferences where you need 3 microphones, 2 powered speakers ... I have multiple events going on in the same time. 

So I am wondering witch console is better (Yamaha MG102c or Soundcraft Notepad 124). ?

They both have 4 x XLR inputs. Eq's are similar. What about pre-amps ? Quality of assembly ...
The Yamaha has compressor on input 1 and 2 ...  the notepad is 40$ more expansive ...

Thank you,
Othmane Alaoui
Produkson

I have 2 Yamaha mini mixers, and a MC16xx channel desk too. The 2 minis are a 102c and a 102cx. I use one at home for mp3 playback and occasionnal backing vocals practice, and it works fine for that use. I thought the 102cx would be good on mini gigs, but it is not. I bring the 16 track all the time. Not veratile enough, not enough controls to get a good sound. Might be good for speach, but not quite enough for musicians.

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:32:34 PM »

Dear PSW community,

Thank you,
Othmane Alaoui
Produkson

I believe all of the micro mixers will be built and sound similar. My biggest issue is the lack of parametric eq on the mic channels. Without those, you have to combat feedback some other (global) way, which means lugging around more rack gear. Just a thought.

Luther Bell

• Luther Bell - Freelance A/V Technician
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 09:02:40 AM »

They do look fairly interchangeable.   Two of the things on my comparison list are the EQ frequencies and the power connection.

Soundcraft Notebook 124
Hi-Pass Filter:100Hz
Hi:12kHz
Mid:1kHz
Low:80Hz
Power: protected connection of some kind (didn't get much help from the manual)

Yamaha MG102C
Hi-Pass Filter:80Hz
Hi:10kHz
Mid:2.5kHz
Low:100Hz
Power:Yamaha's little twist on power connector

Still both of these are still close enough for either to be chosen but Yamaha does have 2 channels of compression.  Also, the only reason that I brought up the power connector is that Yamaha's screw on connector continues all the way up the line to the new MG206.  I'm guessing they've improved the durability of it but it's still a different connection so you can't easily replace it if it's lost.  (even though it's a moot point because all of the small small format mixers have unique power connections)

Just my 2 cents.
Luther Bell
Freelance A/V Technician
www.lutherbell.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 09:02:40 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.