ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stereo vocal effects  (Read 873 times)

stoeber

Stereo vocal effects
« on: April 05, 2006, 11:34:56 pm »

I lead music and am not really a sound guy. I only know enough about sound to hurt myself (although I'm trying hard to learn). I am very interested in running stereo reverb. I am leading music in a smaller youth group with a really simple setup. We are using a 12 channel Yamaha MG mixer into powered mackies. I think that I can run my mixer in stereo and somehow apply stereo reverb using the aux returns right? I was hoping that someone could point me to somewhere to learn about this. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I searched around the internet a ton and some on this forum, and I've seen alot about stereo effects, just not much about how to use them and set them up. Thanks for the help if you have time!

Andrew

edit: i realized that i should have posted this in the "church sound" section...sorry i'm a moron Confused i'm not really sure why i posted it here. if there is a way for a moderator to move it feel free (or just delete it)

Stuart O'Toole

Re: Stereo vocal effects
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 02:37:17 am »

Hi Andrew

your on the right track with your effect you run a a jack to jack from the aux output into the effects input. get two jack to jacks or XLR to XLR (depends on the fx rack) now place the returns into a seperate channel if its a yamaha MG have them on the right side of the desk. onthe left return pan it slight (about 10 OClock) and for the right return a seperate channel (pan 3 Oclock). make sure the faders are goin to the stereoout put (ON and ST).

Also a really silly postscript make sure the effect is a true stereo effect. as it may only be a mono ie returning on the left side only.

If you have multi fx you may want to use another aux channel then the returns are mono anyway.

What fx unit do you have ?

Cheers
Stuart

stoeber

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 12:36:40 pm »

I do not have a unit as of yet, but am looking to purchase a rack unit just to use for reverb, and am interested in running the effect in stereo. Usually when purchasing the unit it will say if it runs true stereo reverb right? And about what you told me, are you saying that I am sending the aux returns from the unit back into two separate channels on the board and then sending those to stereo? And do you think this will sound significantly better than mono reverb. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it...

Andrew

Rob Warren

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 10:08:52 am »

Personally I do not think you are going to hear a big difference than just using a mono reverb.  At least just for reverb.  You may use other things that pan back and forth that would need stereo.
I believe you can use a stereo return on that board.  You can also use a set of stereo input channels coming back from the reverb unit.  As far as a send goes, you should be able to just use the 2nd aux send going mono into the unit.
You are probably going to need the 1rst aux send for some type of stage monitor setup.  
Rob

Tim Padrick

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 02:11:45 am »

Having your reverb (or other effect) in stereo is better, at least for those who are seated such that they can hear both speakers nearly equally.  Stereo adds a great deal of space to the sound.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 02:11:45 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.