ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is a patch bay for?  (Read 2794 times)

Alarus

What is a patch bay for?
« on: April 04, 2006, 10:34:43 PM »

Hi guys, great site.  Can someone tell me what a patch bay is used for?  I'll show my ignorance by confessing that I can't figure out the application for one.

Thanks,
Brent

Rick Tunin

Re: What is a patch bay for?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 10:48:52 PM »

It is used to make connections to and from different inputs and outputs with patch cables.  You can have all your mic lines, returns, board and f/x inputs and outputs as patch points and do all of your interconnects with patch cables rather than having to reach behind the board, f/x units etc. to rearrange cabling.  You can kind of think of it as being like an old-style switchboard for making all of your audio connections.

Alarus

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 01:20:09 PM »

So, if I understand correctly, you could run the ins and outs from your compressor (or reverb, or whatever) to the patchbay, then you could insert them easily on whichever channel you needed to very quickly without digging in the back of the rack.  Am I getting on the right page?  How many of these do people typically use and what is a common use for them?  Do you go as far as to make everything patchable?

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 01:30:58 PM »

Alarus wrote on Wed, 05 April 2006 10:20

So, if I understand correctly, you could run the ins and outs from your compressor (or reverb, or whatever) to the patchbay, then you could insert them easily on whichever channel you needed to very quickly without digging in the back of the rack.  Am I getting on the right page?  How many of these do people typically use and what is a common use for them?  Do you go as far as to make everything patchable?

Patchbays are probably the single biggest point of failure in a sound system.  (Second only to the operator.)

I would presume that your system is a permanent install, and as such, things like reverb and other effects will always be on the same aux sends and return to the same channels.  For insertables (compressors, gates, outboard parametric EQs) that one expects to move between channels, simply bring out the tails from the rack, label them, and leave them in the doghouse and patch as needed.

- a
"Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Kevin Hoober

• http://www.pinelake.org
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 05:22:34 PM »

I have to agree w/ Andy on the reliability of patchbays.  Even a high quality patchbay will loose a patch now and then...but they do have their uses.  One of the best uses of a patchbay is for inputs.  Usually in an install situation you'll have many more inputs on stage than you have on the console, a patchbay lets you choose which stage input goes to whatever console input.

A little corrosion on a mic patch w/ phantom running thru it can get very hairy...quickly.  I do know of a couple of install companies build XLR (not tt or mil spec 1/4") patchbays for the very reason of reliability...but, they are huge!

Kevin

Alarus

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 10:48:54 PM »

I'm getting it now.  Andy Peters, what is a "doghouse"?

Stuart O'Toole

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 02:15:37 AM »

Hi Brent

patch bays are more suited to a recording studio than a live setup. the concept is you can run all your cables from the patchbay into the multiple effect you have racked up.

But the main issue the reliability, yuk. most church's have a basic jack to jack leads for the effects and Y cables for compression (placed into the insert on the desk).

Just make sure you have a standard of cable, as you are only as good as your cables.

Cheers
Stuart

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 01:57:37 PM »

Alarus wrote on Wed, 05 April 2006 19:48

I'm getting it now.  Andy Peters, what is a "doghouse"?

Consoles used for tours live in roadcases.  A smart case design will include several inches of empty space at the back of the console to allow easy access to the connectors.  A cover for this space is usually provided (to hide all of the cables and connections) with holes on either end, and this sorta looks like a doghouse.  Sorta ...

-a
"Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Tom Young

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 04:38:26 PM »

In short the primary purpoose of a patch bay is to add another layer of potential problems in signal quality in our sound systems.

Sorry for the sarcasm.

Patch bays can be wonderful things provided you really need them and are willing to invest in the quaity of equipment and installation needed plus consistant maintenance over time.

With the exception of those churches that have pretty complex production needs that change on a regular basis I see no real need for patchg bays in HOW systems.

Here are a few rules / opinions / observations:
When patch bays are done right they are carefully designed to compliment the overall ground scheme for the entire system.

Mic line patch bays are done with XLR's (never TRS).

When terminating the rear connections for patch bays you need installers who have lots of experience and you need to use the right tool.

Patch bays have to be housed in clean and climate controlled environments or you will speed up the deterioration of the contact surfaces.

Users of patch bays have to not use none-standard plugs when patching.

That's just a few of the considerations.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Greg Taylor

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 12:56:51 AM »

Some interesting comments.  I wouldn't have thought to use a patch bay in a live church environment... but it could have some advantages.  

I have used them in TV Studio work where they are invaluable.  Especially in a pinch where if you know the patch bay well... you can reroute around a problem very quickly.  It also gave us the ultimate flexibility to use any piece of equipment with any other piece of equipment.  I can't imagine not having it in that environment.  Probably very similar to a recording studio (this was for mainly live TV work).  

I would think about what your needs are, if you are looking for ultimate flexibility, a patch bay is your answer.  If you are looking for a more static setup, I would avoid it.  
Greg Taylor
Business Administrator
Sound Ministry Director
St. Gall Catholic Church
Gardnerville, NV

AnthonyJestin

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 11:15:35 AM »

Personally, in our install, we installed a couple of 1/4 inch patchbays jsut for ease of use with our compressors and whatnot.  EAsier to change things around depending on what is going on that week.  I find it handy, but i do agree, that unless well maintained and done properly, they can cause more problems than they are worth, in a small HOW isntall at least

jsut my .02 Smile

Anthony

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 11:15:35 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.