ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Mixers  (Read 5076 times)

Clayton Luckie

Video Mixers
« on: March 23, 2006, 12:39:39 PM »

Hey folks

We are getting to the point where we need to start thinking about IMAG (putting the pastor on the big screens).  Right now, we have been using projectors and screens for 5 years or so, and are using MediaShout 3.  But to this point, we have not done any IMAG.  What is important to me is having an RGB out of the mixer, or getting a seperate scaler to get to RGB, since running composite to the projectors looks bad.  I have been looking at the Edirol V440-HD, because it scales to RGB, and allows for further expansion and more cameras.  I don't necessarily want to run the IMAG through MediaShout, since I'm not happy with the quality of lower third possibilities, etc.  I would probably use MediaShout for the lower thirds, and chroma key them into the mixer.

Any other suggestions on video mixers?  I'm a rookie, so what am I not thinking about yet?

[edit] Also, we are looking at possibly adding "video venue" services in the future, so having a mixer with 2 different outputs would be nice (so the remote venues do not have to see the same thing as what is going to the projectors).  I know you can cascade 2 V220-HD's to do this, but that's double the cost.  Having a unit that can expand to 2 different outs would be nice.

cl

Allan Stevenson

Re: Video Mixers
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 06:52:08 PM »

Clayton,
I just posted a question to the forum concerning the Newtek TriCaster.  It is impressive.  I got a demo and we are goingf to use it for our Easter presentation.  I am proposing to our church board to buy this product.  It will be a good way of using all our video resources.

Check it out at newtek.com (TriCaster)

Hope this helps!
Allan Stevenson
Peoples Church Hamilton
Ontario, Canada

Clayton Luckie

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 03:10:31 AM »

looks cool... but doesnt seem to have RGB inputs.  I think there are 2 pci slots, so maybe RGB inputs can be added, but that would be necessary for us.  Maybe the computer input is handled via network?  

Anyway, looks like cool idea.  I like the recording/streaming option.  Might be worth a demo, since it's half the price of the V-440HD.  Thanks for the heads up!

cl

Greg Hertfelder

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 11:20:53 PM »

Looking at the websites, Newtek and Edirol appear to process the video in two different ways, which could potentially affect outcome. The Tricaster processes video in the standard definition (SD) interlacing domain and upscales SD to  to high definition (HD) video, potentially amplifying video error. The Edirol V-HD440 appears to process in HD progressive-scan domain, and outputs in HD progressive-scan, or downscales to SD interlacing, as required, thus the difference in price.

One more point of comparison: The Edirol V-HD440 is just a switcher, while the Tricaster is so much more than a switcher - streaming encoder, title generator, media editor, etc.

The outputs of these two devices would need to be viewed side-by-side for a true apples-and-apples comparison of resolution. You might want to visit InfoComm or NAB to compare these and other similar products by Folsom, Analog Way, etc.

Brian Kent Tennyson

• http://www.visitec.com
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 02:29:14 PM »

Look into the Sony Anycast and the Broadcast Pix unit.

both list at around $25,000.

http://news.sel.sony.com/digitalimages/photo?photo_id=158452

http://www.broadcastpix.com/
You can't get enough, but enough ain't the test.

Brian Kent Tennyson
Visitec Inc.
www.visitec.com

Greg Hertfelder

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 11:52:18 PM »

Good point, Brian.

I saw the Broadcast Pix unit at the NAB tradeshow, and was impressed. I think its worth noting that they advertise "Now from $9,995".

Clayton Luckie

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 09:51:07 PM »

I like the Broadcast Pix unit because of its variety of i/o.  How did the pictures look?  I worry about latency since it seems to be workstation based.  One of it's main functions would be IMAG video.

cl

MP

• http://www.avcorp.com.au
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 11:11:16 AM »

I would seriously look at Folsom and Analog Way. Some entry level units FREEZE the video before dissolving and this is NOT a desirable effect for IMAG. These have an RGBHV output.

Clayton Luckie

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 01:24:21 AM »

I'll update that we are getting an Echolab Opera, and I am very excited.  It offers both analog and digital inputs and outputs, and is very scalable for whatever the needs.  I have had a  moderate amount of time with this switcher and it is going to be great for us.  Its very intuative and easy to operate, which is vital to churches who work off of volunteers.  Feel free to PM me if you want more comments.

cl

MP

• http://www.avcorp.com.au
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 07:39:30 AM »

Wow - nice!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 07:39:30 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.