ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Do I have a dirty snake?  (Read 14808 times)

Jannice Torres

Do I have a dirty snake?
« on: April 10, 2011, 08:24:38 PM »

Hello everyone!

I'm new in this forum and also ne in the field of sound engineering.  I play the guitar in my church band.  We're a small group and had the sound system in place before e started playing.  Unfortunately, as it sometimes happens, the person who designed and installed the system, no longer goes to my church.  The only other person with knowledge has no time to troubleshoot.

The problem is that we plug the instruments, start playing and, in the middle of the song, some or all instruments stop being amplified.  They come and go and sometimes they never come back.  We have to unplug the cord from each instrument, wiggle the cable and plug it back in.  Sound always comes back if we do that and it will go away again during the next song or two.

System info (please bear with me, as I'm not all there with the lingo):
An Oooooooollllld snake with 4 male mic connectors and 12 female mic connectors in its head.  The snake goes from the stage to the back of the room, where an 18-channel mixer resides, inside an oooooooolllllld cabinet.  The cables look old and crunchy.  I'm afraid the problem is the snake, but I'm not sure.   Problem also happens with the mics.  As we're singing, sound comes and goes and most times it won't come back.

Things we're done to troubleshoot:
1. I've changed the lines to all instruments and the problem continues.

Things I have not done:
1. Have not changed the instruments to a different channel.  I guess, that would be next in order.  I just think the snake is soo old and dirty that it won't matter where I plug.  Whaaaaaaaa.... (sorry... venting...yes, I'm a girl...)

Questions:
1. How can I test the snake to make rule it in or out of the problem?
2. If the problem is the snake, can it be fixed by replacing whatever bad parts it may have?  We don't have money to buy a new snake.  I've seen them in catalogs starting at $800 for 100'.  Ours is 100'long.
3. I read in other posts about the Ebtech Swizz Army and the Behringer CT100 cable testers.  Ho can use these testers to test a snake?

Please feel free to ask questions and I'll try to find the info and post later. 

Thanks for your time.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:51:41 PM by Jannice Torres »

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Do I have a dirty snake?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 10:56:57 PM »

Try using Electrical Contact Cleaner on the head end. Make sure you have good ventilation and extinguish all flames in the area. Put on safety goggles and rubber/latex/nitrile gloves. Protect the area around the head (large trash bag should do it). Spray the contact cleaner in each jack on the snake. Be careful -- watch out for sprayback when you spray into the connectors (that's why you put on the goggles).

The contact cleaner will remove the general lint, dust, grease, and gunk that has accumulated in the connectors over the years. Obviously, it will not tighten loose contacts that don't grip the mating contacts well. After the contacts are cleaned, you can more easily determine which ones are weak.

Replacing the XLR jacks is an inexpensive but tedious task. Each jack will cost less than $10, but the wires must be soldered. At the head end, it's easy; at the mixer end it is more difficult. I recommend using only Neutrik connectors, and I think most people on this forum will agree. (Readers: if you disagree, please do and state why.)

If either the outer jacket or the insulation on the individual runs in the snake appears brittle or cracked, throw away the whole thing and replace it. It's not worth repairing. I think you'll want to have at least 16 channels available so you can take full advantage of your mixer's inputs. A 16x4x100 (16 input, 4 return, 100') snake can be had online for as little as $300. I won't speak to the quality of different brands as I don't have the experience, but many others on this forum will be happy to share their opinions.

P.S. -- Are you using any adapters/DI boxes between the instruments and the snake? Have the adapters been tested or replaced?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:03:10 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Art Hays

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 02:27:06 AM »

Do instruments, mics disappear all at the same time and return all at the same time?  If so it seems like electronics (board or amps).  However I guess it might be both, e.g. if the snake is intermittently shorting out the phantom voltage and this takes out the board.

If it is the snake I would expect wiggling of connectors and cables to produce the problem as well as fix it.  Have you tried that?

To be sure it's the snake you could turn off phantom power and plug some instruments directly into the back of the board and see if the problem still happens.

To also test the board/amps alone what happens when you play a CD thru it at high volume?

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 02:30:20 AM by Art Hays »

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 05:14:44 AM »

you could be overheating the amp(s) and the thermal protect shuts them down until they cool to the point where the thermal protect turns them back on.

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 05:39:32 AM »

Hello everyone!

I'm new in this forum and also ne in the field of sound engineering.  I play the guitar in my church band.  We're a small group and had the sound system in place before e started playing.  Unfortunately, as it sometimes happens, the person who designed and installed the system, no longer goes to my church.  The only other person with knowledge has no time to troubleshoot.

The problem is that we plug the instruments, start playing and, in the middle of the song, some or all instruments stop being amplified.  They come and go and sometimes they never come back.  We have to unplug the cord from each instrument, wiggle the cable and plug it back in.  Sound always comes back if we do that and it will go away again during the next song or two.

An Oooooooollllld snake with 4 male mic connectors and 12 female mic connectors in its head.  The snake goes from the stage to the back of the room, where an 18-channel mixer resides, inside an oooooooolllllld cabinet.  The cables look old and crunchy.  I'm afraid the problem is the snake, but I'm not sure.   Problem also happens with the mics.  As we're singing, sound comes and goes and most times it won't come back.

Things we're done to troubleshoot:
1. I've changed the lines to all instruments and the problem continues.

Things I have not done:
1. Have not changed the instruments to a different channel.  I guess, that would be next in order.  I just think the snake is soo old and dirty that it won't matter where I plug.  Whaaaaaaaa.... (sorry... venting...yes, I'm a girl...)

Questions:
1. How can I test the snake to make rule it in or out of the problem?
2. If the problem is the snake, can it be fixed by replacing whatever bad parts it may have?  We don't have money to buy a new snake.  I've seen them in catalogs starting at $800 for 100'.  Ours is 100'long.
3. I read in other posts about the Ebtech Swizz Army and the Behringer CT100 cable testers.  Ho can use these testers to test a snake?

Please feel free to ask questions and I'll try to find the info and post later. 

Thanks for your time.

Losing some or *all* instruments is indicative of problems other than with the snake.

Troubleshooting requires a clearly thought out set of tests that eliminate elements in the signal path (as the cause) until you are left with the real culprit.

You single out instrument inputs. Do you also have vocal microphones ? How are they behaving ?

What mixer do you have ?

Is phantom power switched on ? Is it applied to all channels or individual channels ?

(read the manual or google if you do not know about phantom power)

Is any of the sound system equipment allowed to get very warm or hot ?

Please provide answers to the questions we have asked and we'll see where this goes.

BTW - whether it is related to your problems or not you should probably repair (rebuiild) the snake. Connectors cost FAR less than $10. each and you need to use the correct type of contact cleaner.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Arnold B. Krueger

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 03:43:38 PM »

I've replaced/reparied  tons of mic and instrument cables, and even replaced a console with symptoms like yours, but never replaced a snake.

If the problem is with your snake then it will affect some channels and not others. Therfore changing channels can help.

I have repaired a snake, by replacing connectors at either end. This snake was at least 20 years old and heavily abused by some teenagers. Cost for the parts was minimal.

$800 for a 100 ft 12 by 4 snake seems at least twice too much for anything but an ultra-ruggedized touring snake which is overkill for a typical church. Find a different vendor, and/or set your sights down a notch. Let me recommend Markertek - my two best snakes are made-to-order 150 footers from them.

Jannice Torres

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 06:16:15 PM »

Hello everyone.  Thank you for responding!  I've tried some of your suggestions as time allows, others, I haven't tried yet.  I'll try all suggestions and post results as they become available.

I tried the spray cleaner.  Sprayed all connectors on the snake and the cables that go to the instruments.  I have yet to clean the other end, that goes to the mixer.  You are right, it's a tedious project!!  LOL  But, I'm making progress.  So far, with the snake head clean and instruments' cables clean, there has been no resolution to the problem.  Audio keeps going and coming intermitently.

I'll now answer some of your questions:

P.S. -- Are you using any adapters/DI boxes between the instruments and the snake? Have the adapters been tested or replaced?

Currently, there are two cable adapters, but no effect pedals. Instruments are connected as follows:
Guitar: "mic" type of cable (male to female) no pedals, cable adapter or effects box. 
Bass guitar: 1/4" stereo (male to male) directly to an 1/4" (female) to mic type (male) adapter, to the snake. No pedals or boxes.
Electronic drums set: 1/4" stereo cable (male to male) to an 1/4" (female) to mic type (male) adapter.

Do instruments, mics disappear all at the same time and return all at the same time?

No.  Mics are cut off at intermitent times, sporadically, but not at the same time.

If it is the snake I would expect wiggling of connectors and cables to produce the problem as well as fix it.  Have you tried that?

Yes, however, just wiggling the cable doesn't work.  I have to unplug my guitar (since I don't want to walk to the snake head to disconnect there), I unplug the cable from my guitar and plug it back in.  As I'm removing the cable I don't hear anything, but when I reconnect, I hear a pop and the audio comes back.  Actually, it's a loud pop and people get frazzled.  I'm now asking my sound person, by the mixer to shut down the system so I can unplug the guitar. The drums and the bass don't do this pop.

To also test the board/amps alone what happens when you play a CD thru it at high volume?

There is a CD player connected to the mixer, not going through the snake.  It works OK at any volume and audio doesn't cut off.

Do you also have vocal microphones ? How are they behaving?

Yes, we have two microphones.  They both do the same thing, come and go intermitently, not necessarily at the same time. But it has happened at the same time in the past.

What mixer do you have ?

I don't know. I'll find out tomorrow and let you know.

Is phantom power switched on ? Is it applied to all channels or individual channels ?

I'll read about Phantom power, as I don't know what that is.  DOn't explain it here if it's a long topic.  I'll read about it and answer your question soon.  Thanks for the suggestion and for your patience until I get more educated on these sound engineering issues.  You've all been very helpful so far.

Is any of the sound system equipment allowed to get very warm or hot ?

The mixer resides in a corner, 12 inches from each of two walls, one concrete with a window and the other drywall with a window to the hallway. 

This is actually a topic of aggravation on my part.  The room is used for so many events.  People keep moving the mixer to the corner, against the walls. I keep moving it out to use it on Sundays and provide proper ventilation.  They also push chairs and other furniture against it and against the cables.  I don't have a cover or way to prevent people from pushing stuff against the cables. I'm pretty sure there's gotta be some damage there as well.  Grrrrr.

Matthias Heitzer

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 08:50:24 AM »

I'll read about Phantom power, as I don't know what that is.  DOn't explain it here if it's a long topic.  I'll read about it and answer your question soon.  Thanks for the suggestion and for your patience until I get more educated on these sound engineering issues.  You've all been very helpful so far.

Phantom Power is is a supply voltage that is sent trough the snake and Mic cables (typically +48V). It is needed for condenser microphones, active DI-boxes and some other stuff. Guitars with XLR connectors ("mic connector") may need it. If the instrument has active electronics but doesn't have a battery compartment it normally needs phantom power.
Adapters from "mono 1/4" to XLR are generally not a good idea if you use phantom power. Those adapters short the supply voltage to ground.

The next time one channel disappears, set its fader and monitor sends to "off" and raise the gain (sometimes also called sense or trim). If it reappears suddenly the mixer propably has corroded insert jacks.

How is the CD player connected?

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 11:38:52 AM »

Guitars with XLR connectors ("mic connector") may need it.

Incidentally, if you have a guitar with an active pickup that uses a battery, do not leave the guitar plugged in when not in use. Doing so will drain the battery. Unplugging the guitar turns off the electronics. (At least for many if not all.)
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jannice Torres

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 10:19:05 PM »

Hello again. I have news. I found a button on the mixer called Phantom. On Sunday, I turned Phantom off and both mics and both guitars worked well the entire service!

Problem, the drums still cut off.

At the en of the service, without much time for testing, we switched the drum to a different channel and thesrums then worked well for a few minutes. Again, not much time for testing and we only switched and tested the drums.

Today, at practice, the drums were fine the entire hour but my guitar and both mics started cutting off again. so, this week, I'm going to buy a 1/4"-to-XLR connector forth drums and another for each guitar to eliminate the 1/4-to-XLR adapters.

I also finished spray cleaning both ends ofthe snake. I vacuumed and sprayed. The mixer and snake are clean. I also took pictures that I will post shortly.

So, in summary, I think I'm getting close to a permanent solution. I think the problem OS definitely that I don't understand the complexities of the system and I'm using whatever adapter or cable is laying around.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 10:19:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.