ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Aux Fed Subs  (Read 15774 times)

Gary Weller

Re: Aux Fed Subs
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 03:20:27 pm »

I've been learning a lot via this thread and the previous one mentioned from the old forums.  Some questions:

1.) A post in the old forum mentioned a time alignment issue that might arise with AUX-fed subs.  I assume this is an alignment issue between the subs and the other drivers?  Does this arise because of differences in processing between the AUX feed and the mains (such as number of filters, how the AUX feed is dervied, etc)?  How is it quantified and corrected?

2.) If there is overlap in freq range between subs and tops I guess you have some leeway in setting the crossover point?  How would you choose the crossover point to be ideal for AUX-fed subs?

Thanks,

And my question to add to his is, do you guys normally run an extra GEQ for the aux subs?

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 04:23:12 pm »

And my question to add to his is, do you guys normally run an extra GEQ for the aux subs?

If I am running my own system, I use an extra channel in my Sabine Navigator, which gives me parametrics on both the input and output. When working on other peoples systems, sometimes there is a graphic, sometimes not. I can't say it has ever made a big difference one way or the other. Frankly, a eq can cause more problems in the range of frequencies around the crossover than it is likely to fix. I would rather have a nicely tuned sytem and not have to apply any extra eq.
Jay Barracato

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 05:41:05 pm »

Sub EQ is done in the system controller, and preferably before aligning the subs and mains.  Most of the time the changes are small.  A parametric EQ is vastly better than a graphic in this (and most) applications.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

alfredo cannon

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 06:03:11 pm »

I run a GEQ with my aux fed subs and it sounds better. Hook up a GEQ to your aux fed subs. Then compare bypassed with it on and set flat. You'll see it sounds better with it on. I also set PEQ's on my Ashly Protea 3.6
  I run Danley TH-115 aux fed with EV Qrx 212/75 (bi-amped)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 12:46:09 am »

Hook up a GEQ to your aux fed subs. Then compare bypassed with it on and set flat. You'll see it sounds better with it on.
If it sounds better with the EQ than bypassed then either it isn't really flat or it it adding some gain so perhaps louder = better?
An EQ set flat should not make any change.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

James Feenstra

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2011, 01:02:03 am »

An EQ set flat should not make any change.
tell that to the studio guys...
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 01:09:50 am »

I run a GEQ with my aux fed subs and it sounds better. Hook up a GEQ to your aux fed subs. Then compare bypassed with it on and set flat. You'll see it sounds better with it on.

You have no idea what you are talking about.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

alfredo cannon

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 11:26:26 am »

A smug response from Bennett is of no surprise. I can't explain why the GEQ I use softens the sound and makes it better. I'm sure there are other ways to attenuate but it's fast and easy with a GEQ.

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 12:14:20 pm »

I do not doubt that your GEQ changes the sound, but suggesting that adding a GEQ in general will improve the performance of subwoofers is not realistic.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2011, 01:10:19 pm »

A smug response from Bennett is of no surprise. I can't explain why the GEQ I use softens the sound and makes it better. I'm sure there are other ways to attenuate but it's fast and easy with a GEQ.
A *correct* response from Bennett is no surprise, and he beat me to the punch.

That some EQ might be necessary or desirable is a given, but simply inserting an unused EQ into the signal path is silly at best, detrimental at worst.  If all you need is to "soften" the subs, turn the send down, turn down the crossover output or turn down the amp input level controls.  If *your* EQ is doing something else besides EQing, there is something broke or badly designed if it changes the sound when no boost or cut is engaged.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2011, 01:10:19 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 23 queries.