Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Aux Fed Subs

(1/8) > >>

Ian Stuart:
Hey guys,

I personally don't like Aux fed subs, am I the only one who doesn't like them?

They are so popular amongst a lot of engineers, and I always get strange looks
when I blurt out this fact.

When I mix, I really like having the ability to control the hi-pass filter frequency and I will always use that to remove low end rumble that I know I won't need. But that's just it, having an aux fed sub is effectively like placing one on every channel at a fixed frequency unless you decide to put it into sub via the aux. I much prefer raising or lowering that hipass on each channel to a desired point. It also chews up much needed auxiliaries, which you can't always spare.

Sometimes, on some systems, in an ideal environment, I know that my vocals are pushing a tiny bit into sub-land but every once in a while, that sounds good. You'll never get that with aux-fed.

So, what do you guys like, full range or aux-fed?

g'bye, Dick Rees:

--- Quote from: Ian Stuart on April 10, 2011, 08:15:04 pm ---
Sometimes, on some systems, in an ideal environment, I know that my vocals are pushing a tiny bit into sub-land but every once in a while, that sounds good. You'll never get that with aux-fed.

--- End quote ---

Unless you dial them into the subs..........

Justin Bartlett:

--- Quote from: Ian Stuart on April 10, 2011, 08:15:04 pm ---Hey guys,

I personally don't like Aux fed subs, am I the only one who doesn't like them?

They are so popular amongst a lot of engineers, and I always get strange looks
when I blurt out this fact.

When I mix, I really like having the ability to control the hi-pass filter frequency and I will always use that to remove low end rumble that I know I won't need. But that's just it, having an aux fed sub is effectively like placing one on every channel at a fixed frequency unless you decide to put it into sub via the aux. I much prefer raising or lowering that hipass on each channel to a desired point. It also chews up much needed auxiliaries, which you can't always spare.

So, what do you guys like, full range or aux-fed?

--- End quote ---

Aux fed, hands down.  No disadvantages if you have the processing and available auxes.

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Ian Stuart on April 10, 2011, 08:15:04 pm ---When I mix, I really like having the ability to control the hi-pass filter frequency and I will always use that to remove low end rumble that I know I won't need. But that's just it, having an aux fed sub is effectively like placing one on every channel at a fixed frequency unless you decide to put it into sub via the aux. I much prefer raising or lowering that hipass on each channel to a desired point. It also chews up much needed auxiliaries, which you can't always spare.

--- End quote ---

You can still use the high pass filter with aux fed subs, it just won't do anything to the subs unless you have that channel dialed into the subs. I use the high pass filter on lots of channels with aux fed subs.

I have never heard vocals that sounded good in the subs. Out at the console you may think it gives richness or something, but up front, where people hear a lot of subs it sounds like crap. It was hearing vocals in the subs 25 or 30 years ago that lit up the light bulb above my head and inspired me to try feeding the subs off an aux so I could leave the vocals out of them.

Mac

duane massey:
Aux-fed subs are just another tool in the bag. You don't have to use it if you want everything going everywhere, but the concept works both in theory and in practice. It is a compromise if you are short on aux sends, and I've had to give up the idea in at least one install where it would have been a great application because the console did not have enough aux sends.
I'm having a tough time making a decision on using the aux-fed approach at an install in progress. There's enough capabilities in the gear, but I have absolutely no faith in the extremely inexperienced engineer that will be running the system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version