ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blown PRX535 HF Driver  (Read 2700 times)

Jimmy Wright

Blown PRX535 HF Driver
« on: April 10, 2011, 11:31:01 PM »

Looking for replacement driver for the 2414H driver in my JBL PRX535.  JBL doesn't offer a replacement diaphram for this driver (that i could find), but some speaker shops offer a OEM diaphram. 
While I'm already going to be disassembling the covers, ect, I would like to know if there is a different HF driver I could upgrade to...I can't stand the typical JBL harshness that begins abouve 95 dB...If not, then oh well, back to the same old...
Thanks for the help y'all
Jimmy Wright
Tolar AVL

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
Re: Blown PRX535 HF Driver
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 05:54:31 AM »

Mechanically, yes, you can easily replace the driver with any other 1" throat screw-on component with similar specs. The threads are the standard 1-3/8" diameter and should screw right onto the existing horn lens with no problem. However, consider that the horn size and shape has a lot to do with the sound of the driver as well. A different driver may very well create a new set of problems for you such as changing the mid-range quality, being too loud for the woofer, or whatever.

I believe the "harshness" you are hearing may be inherent of titanium drivers. The diaphragm dome material is made from a thin layer of titanium. You may want to consider switching to a driver with a different diaphragm material like Polyester or something. BMS comes to mind for making top quality drivers out of Polyester.

Furthermore, any changes you make should be done to both PRX535 cabinets so they will both sound the same.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 06:04:26 AM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Blown PRX535 HF Driver
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 05:54:31 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.