ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Digico SD8 vs. Avid Profile HELP!  (Read 23002 times)

Jim McKeveny

Re: Digico SD8 vs. Avid Profile HELP!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 09:27:15 am »

To state my observation more succinctly: when mixing on the Avids you never lose sight that their genesis was a music editing and recording platform, not a live mixing platform...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 09:56:03 am »

To state my observation more succinctly: when mixing on the Avids you never lose sight that their genesis was a music editing and recording platform, not a live mixing platform...

That's pretty much what Steve Payne said about the difference between mixing on a Soundcraft VI series and the Venue, in effect "with Venue I never forget I'm mixing on a computer."

That said, there are tons of Venue users/fans out there, and Digidesign/Avid have made a decent market penetration.  What becomes of the other players like DiGiCo, Innovason & Soundcraft remains to be seen.

Have fun, etc.

Tim Mc
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Adam Robinson

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 10:44:24 am »

That's pretty much what Steve Payne said about the difference between mixing on a Soundcraft VI series and the Venue, in effect "with Venue I never forget I'm mixing on a computer."

That said, there are tons of Venue users/fans out there, and Digidesign/Avid have made a decent market penetration.  What becomes of the other players like DiGiCo, Innovason & Soundcraft remains to be seen.

Have fun, etc.

Tim Mc

DiGiCo has a decent market penetration.  Large sound companies like Eighth Day and Clair have made significant investments in Digico adding numerous SD7s and SD8s to their stock.  I can think of many large tours using SD7s and the D5T (and more and more the SD7T) has found a comfortable home on Broadway thanks to, among other things, a few detailed and well put together automation system.  The SD8 is getting out there more and more each day and all of the engineers I have put in front of one and showed how to use it have become instant adopters.

The Soundcraft Vi consoles sound great and I know they're trying hard to get more of them out there.  Many users find the Studer Vistonics system among the most intuitive in the industry.  The inability to put stereo channels on a single fader and a very basic automation system have sidelined this console for me, though.

Out of all the digital consoles I've seen and mixed on (and I've mixed on most of them), I have never been in front of an Innovason.  I get an Eclipse for a gig in about a week.  We'll see how that goes.

I know what I'm getting when I come across a Profile.  It's not my favorite desk for several reasons, but the software is reliable and I am quite comfortable on them.  They're taking that PM4000 / PM5D position in the market as a standard piece of gear and I don't see them going anywhere.  That's not to say there aren't other options to be explored. 

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 10:55:50 am »

Looking to acquire a new digital board for my theatre this year.  We do mostly theatre, with a fair number of concerts thrown in, and cultural variety shows (rentals), graduations, etc.

The competition has come down to Venue Profile vs. SD8 -

Observations:

Venue:
- More FX options and expandability
- More rider friendly
- Better offline editor, faster to patch and label, both on the board and offline.

SD8:
- Better sound?  Debatable I know.
- More flexible layout, more DCAs, or I guess "control groups"
- More encoders
- Better metering, at channel strip
- Touch screens are cool.

Your thoughts?  Any issues with reliability with either board?  Work flow issues that bug you or that you really like?

Thanks for your help -

I find the avid desk pretty easy to use, has a very easy ui and you can set up a mix quickly. All aux can be flip to faders and so can your geq.

I can and do set up a mix in 10 minutes on a avid desk so do other engineer that work on our system. You can learn to use the avid desk off the offine editor because everything is there.

Sound quality wise, the avid desk gives you what you put in. I find it very uncoloured and that is probably what puts man people off. If you are workinb with a decent system and good tone from stage you can mostly leave eq flat not that it hasn't got a good eq to start with.

Take this into mind. On the last note I have heard of a few digico desk down here crashing during a show where avid was always recommended. Avid know what they are doing when it comes to pc because they have been doing pc for a long time.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Adam Robinson

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 11:16:45 am »

I find the avid desk pretty easy to use, has a very easy ui and you can set up a mix quickly. All aux can be flip to faders and so can your geq.

Same with the Digico.  As a "fun" feature, when the Digico is doing GEQ on faders, there is a magnetic 'stop' when you pass 0.

I can and do set up a mix in 10 minutes on a avid desk so do other engineer that work on our system. You can learn to use the avid desk off the offine editor because everything is there.

The Digico offline editor is also exactly what you're encounter when in front of the console itself.

Sound quality wise, the avid desk gives you what you put in. I find it very uncoloured and that is probably what puts man people off. If you are workinb with a decent system and good tone from stage you can mostly leave eq flat not that it hasn't got a good eq to start with

Take this into mind. On the last note I have heard of a few digico desk down here crashing during a show where avid was always recommended. Avid know what they are doing when it comes to pc because they have been doing pc for a long time.

I have been touring since 2007 with Digico consoles - D1, D5, SD7, SD8.  I have never had a console crash during a show.  I have, however, replaced multiple Profile surfaces because of hardware failures that were show-enders.

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 05:13:27 pm »

I have never mixed on an SD8 but I have played a lot with the off-line software. The one thing that I really want that the Digico SD8 does is the decimal point scene numbers. I can add 99 scenes between whole scene numbers on an SD8. So inserting scenes becomes very easy. All of the scene numbers that someone has hand written in the script donít have to be renumbered because of having to insert some scenes. I have also been told that there is no limit to the number of scenes you can have. So I donít have to worry about running out of scenes if they wrote them by skipping numbers. I assume these features are available on all of the Digico SD consoles but I could be wrong.

Dan Brown

• SR Forums
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 10:27:56 pm »

Sound quality wise, the avid desk gives you what you put in. I find it very uncoloured and that is probably what puts man people off. If you are workinb with a decent system and good tone from stage you can mostly leave eq flat not that it hasn't got a good eq to start with

I have been touring since 2007 with Digico consoles - D1, D5, SD7, SD8.  I have never had a console crash during a show.  I have, however, replaced multiple Profile surfaces because of hardware failures that were show-enders.

Adam,

I know you are a huge Digico fan, they sound great I will give you that.
However I have personally experiencedd issues with the SD8, both show stopping and not show stopping.
I am suprised that you have never had a single problem with a show stopping issues.
Never the less most digital consoles have problems at some time or another.

db

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 10:38:00 am »

Adam,

I know you are a huge Digico fan, they sound great I will give you that.
However I have personally experiencedd issues with the SD8, both show stopping and not show stopping.
I am suprised that you have never had a single problem with a show stopping issues.
Never the less most digital consoles have problems at some time or another.

db

I've got a couple hundred shows on Digico myself, and while they have certainly crashed a few times, never during a show.

That said, I have had either first or second hand experience with pretty much every digital console crashing under different circumstances, none of them ever in a show.

These are extremely complicated pieces of both physical and virtual engineering, and to expect them to be perfect is laughable.

What is truly important here is support, and both Digico and Avid can provide excellent support and parts availability.

If it were me, simply for workflow and snapshotting reasons I would go SD series, but there is certainly nothing wrong with the Avid desks.

Karl P

Renato Carneiro

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 11:06:44 am »

[Hi Josh

I've been mixing FOH with a Sd8 since july 2009, with more than 200 shows. The previous software version had, in my view, poor reverbs and crashed 2 or 3 times, also I had fader problems, we travel a lot and our roads aren't realy nice, and we work in hard climate circumstances, most of time in open air venues and in places were dust is also an issue. In october 2009 digico launched the new SD8 software - Overdrive - In that occasion, I met James Gordon from Digico here in Brazil, and he assured me that the new software version and the new faders would solve all my problems. I got a new desk and since then the faders are ok and I had just 1 bug, making a specific operation, I send my session to Digico, with a video recording of the procedures that caused the crash, and in the next software version - Overdrive v300 - the problem was solved, with nice sounding reverbs.
The desk, in my view has the best sonics , the surface is great, you can just format it the way you want, with 3 blocks of 12 faders, each one with 8 configurable fader layers .
The signal architecture is absolutely open, you can send channel to channel, group to channel, aux to channel, group to group, etc.. making it the best for your creativity . The 8 multiband comps and the incredible 8 dynamic Eqs are astonishing. The desk manages 24 buss outs that can be configured to stereo, all of them. The matrix section is pretty different and more powerfull from the other digital desks. All the 60 inputs can be stereo or mono, all the mono inputs have alt in. You can easy use two desks with one rack, with the gain tracking feature, if the master desk ( the one that has control over the mic preamps ) increases or decreases the gain, the slave desk compensates the gain change on the digital trim, automatically. The snapshots are powerfull, with individual scopes channel by channel, on all the controls. The macros are great, making lots of procedures work in a touch of a button.
Renato Carneiro -

Josh Bessom

• Lazy Preacher
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 01:10:51 pm »

[Hi Josh

I've been mixing FOH with a Sd8 since july 2009, with more than 200 shows. The previous software version had, in my view, poor reverbs and crashed 2 or 3 times, also I had fader problems, we travel a lot and our roads aren't realy nice, and we work in hard climate circumstances, most of time in open air venues and in places were dust is also an issue. In october 2009 digico launched the new SD8 software - Overdrive - In that occasion, I met James Gordon from Digico here in Brazil, and he assured me that the new software version and the new faders would solve all my problems. I got a new desk and since then the faders are ok and I had just 1 bug, making a specific operation, I send my session to Digico, with a video recording of the procedures that caused the crash, and in the next software version - Overdrive v300 - the problem was solved, with nice sounding reverbs.
The desk, in my view has the best sonics , the surface is great, you can just format it the way you want, with 3 blocks of 12 faders, each one with 8 configurable fader layers .
The signal architecture is absolutely open, you can send channel to channel, group to channel, aux to channel, group to group, etc.. making it the best for your creativity . The 8 multiband comps and the incredible 8 dynamic Eqs are astonishing. The desk manages 24 buss outs that can be configured to stereo, all of them. The matrix section is pretty different and more powerfull from the other digital desks. All the 60 inputs can be stereo or mono, all the mono inputs have alt in. You can easy use two desks with one rack, with the gain tracking feature, if the master desk ( the one that has control over the mic preamps ) increases or decreases the gain, the slave desk compensates the gain change on the digital trim, automatically. The snapshots are powerfull, with individual scopes channel by channel, on all the controls. The macros are great, making lots of procedures work in a touch of a button.
Renato Carneiro -

That is a fantastic review!  Thanks everyone for the great info and your experiences.  This is a board I may be stuck with...well a very long time.  Now I'm trying to decide on the Waves Soundgrid option, although given the cost I'm leaning towards using my Mac with an RME Madiface, I won't be just limited to Waves, I can use Space Designer which is fantastic, or any of the other great Logic plugs, or other 3rd party AUs.  And with Logic's Mainstage as my host, I can switch FX and presets via Midi from the SD8 with my snapshots.  Just wondering what the latency is like with the Madiface.  With a low buffer, I can deal with a few ms.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 01:10:51 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.