ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Next move up from scaffolding for speakers? More truss?  (Read 30851 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Next move up from scaffolding for speakers? More truss?
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2012, 08:16:19 PM »

I agree with you on all of your points except the above, and it may be because I didn't explain my idea very well. Sorry for the lame sketchup:

This, at the front of the stage (legs pointed back, alongside the stage) with a couple hundred pounds of ballast (amp rack, bass amp, subs, etc which already go in this area) on the legs. I'm thinking if each leg were a 5' stick, that would be plenty of leverage. It seems like this would be MUCH easier than an entire box, and I don't have to buy two more lifts. Plus, the front can be set up and we can be soundchecking while the crew is setting up the back truss (which can stay on the lifts as they do now). Provided the legs are attached to the vertical lifts well, it's hard to imagine this falling over.

No?

You can put all the fixtures and cable on that before you raise it? I wouldn't try. The real advantage of truss and lifts or motors is that you can do all the work on the truss while it is just a few feet off the ground. You motor or crank it up after it has lights and cable on it. Your tip up solution is less stable, and has to be worked on from a ladder.

Lots of sandbags on the back of the horizontal floor truss will be more stable than the same sandbags on a 3'x3' base plate, but you still only have a single stick of truss, and have to do all the loading and unloading in the air. It would go much faster to do that work on the ground.

Mac

Mark Ellis

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2012, 11:05:12 AM »

You can put all the fixtures and cable on that before you raise it?

I planned on putting the main horizontal piece on our L16 lifts, attaching lights and speakers, cranking up the lifts, then sliding in the vertical support truss.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »

I planned on putting the main horizontal piece on our L16 lifts, attaching lights and speakers, cranking up the lifts, then sliding in the vertical support truss.

Here's an idea of what we do for certain corpy gigs.

You see those truss towers that are wrapped in white spandex? On top of those we have attached 2" aluminum pipe via cheeseboroughs that hold both front lighting and a vrx hang. You can see the pipe sticking off the front that holds the leko's. There is another pipe sticking off the outside that holds a 2 box vrx array. We do bring front fills, as should you.

The whole thing is attached to a 3x3 steel foot with lot's of sandbags on it to keep things steady. You can climb this thing like a ladder from any side and it is like a rock.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.