ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bottom of the Hill in San Francisco?  (Read 15129 times)

Mike Reilly

• Cleveland, OH
Re: Bottom of the Hill in San Francisco?
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 07:44:43 AM »

The show went great this past Saturday, and the team at Bottom of the Hill + SIR and the R&R Hall of Fame people couldn't have been nicer. 6 bands starting at 12:30, each had 20 min set and roughly 10-20 minutes inbetween for changeovers. While Skylar wasn't there, a woman named Kim mixed us and made us sound great.

We ended up being one of the 2 bands from the 6 to go on to the finals in Cleveland Sept 30-Oct 1 - should be even more fun!

thanks again to everyone from the board who offered advice, and Skylar - hope Kim gave you one of our Toys custom Tortex picks.

Ned,

Congratulations ! I hope you enjoy your visit to our fair city. 

However, while on stage, please DO try to refrain from quoting Spinal Tap.  Every production guy in town has heard that phrase about 1000 too many times.  ;D

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 08:09:34 AM »

Nice job Ned, good luck in the next round. My offer still stands, and you can add a Twin Reverb that came off the bench Saturday.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 01:20:56 PM »

Thanks Bob - I think they will still be sticklers about backline. The Twin i played through from SIR was actually in pretty good shape, as was the AC30 6 TB our other player played through.

We did find out after the fact that our keyboard player could have brought his own Korg since they were swapping out keyboards every 20 min, and that would have made patch finding easier. We're getting him a good road case for it now. Will have to figure the best way to get guitars, etc. to Cleveland if we fly out since only 1 of has has an ATA approved Gator case...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 01:27:24 PM »

Thanks Bob - I think they will still be sticklers about backline. The Twin i played through from SIR was actually in pretty good shape, as was the AC30 6 TB our other player played through.

We did find out after the fact that our keyboard player could have brought his own Korg since they were swapping out keyboards every 20 min, and that would have made patch finding easier. We're getting him a good road case for it now. Will have to figure the best way to get guitars, etc. to Cleveland if we fly out since only 1 of has has an ATA approved Gator case...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 04:32:51 PM »

Tim - still love that video. We may ship them out heavily packed ahead of time, or find someone who enjoys driving 2K miles there and 2K back... I've been lucky 1 time flying with 1 guitar and putting it in the 1st class coat locker, but with 3 guitars, 1 bass and 1 keyboard... not so much.

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 04:26:12 AM »

My solution lately has been to stick a molded plastic guitar case inside of an SKB 61 key keyboard case (with wheels).  This can be checked and weighs in at less than 50 pounds.  Check the maximum dimensions that your airline will allow for checked baggage, as some have different rules for instruments than regular baggage.  This is a system a buddy of mine used for several years traveling nearly every weekend without incident.

Make sure you double up the case though; another friend of mine checked strat in a molded case last summer and the neck was snapped in half (as well as the case).  Not even sure how you do that to a strat.

In the for what it is worth dept., United let me carry on a guitar one way and was going to force me to check it in a gig bag on the way back (not even gate check).  I left it with my family at the gate and found another way to get it back.  I hate United for this.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 09:41:50 AM »

My solution lately has been to stick a molded plastic guitar case inside of an SKB 61 key keyboard case (with wheels).  This can be checked and weighs in at less than 50 pounds.  Check the maximum dimensions that your airline will allow for checked baggage, as some have different rules for instruments than regular baggage.  This is a system a buddy of mine used for several years traveling nearly every weekend without incident.

Make sure you double up the case though; another friend of mine checked strat in a molded case last summer and the neck was snapped in half (as well as the case).  Not even sure how you do that to a strat.

In the for what it is worth dept., United let me carry on a guitar one way and was going to force me to check it in a gig bag on the way back (not even gate check).  I left it with my family at the gate and found another way to get it back.  I hate United for this.

United is my 'carrier of last resort.'  For me to fly with them requires they have the only seat, only flight, that day.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 09:47:18 AM »

Yeah, right now we're looking at shipping a crate on a pallet that we would pack and pad through an LTL shipper to arrive in plenty of time before the gig. Our keyboard player is going to get a hardcase for his Korg regardless, and our drummer will get a hardcase for his snare and the hardware he'll bring (snare stand, DW double kick pedals). Flying with our gear would probably be the last resort. 

United is our last choice as well; we've had surprisingly good luck with American except when on a trip to Traverse City for an uncle's funeral they lost my family's luggage for 2 days... they did pay for all of our clothes purchased at Target though.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 09:47:18 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.