ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bottom of the Hill in San Francisco?  (Read 15121 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Bottom of the Hill in San Francisco?
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 09:36:52 AM »

Agreed - we're not looking for SVT 8x10, but a solid state 50 watt 1x12 amp starts to get lost soundwise on stage pretty quickly with a loud drummer and 2 40-watt amps - he's been having trouble hearing himself onstage. Will try a roadcase, setting it up to fire across him, or both.
You can ask for some bass in a monitor or 2 so you can hear it. Might not feel it but... I am always surprised at how infrequent the bass is asked for in the wedges. Doing it even on a 12" wedge has often got the bass player to turn down his amp and not excite a hollow stage.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Skylar Suorez

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 03:41:06 PM »

Hey Ned, I am a house guy at Bottom Of The Hill. Your setup is straightforward and typical of the kind of thing that goes on almost every night there, so don't worry, you'll be fine. You can bring an input list if you want, but it's not a big deal either way. The two center wedges are linked, and there are only four monitor mixes.

When I am working there, I typically use the Audio Logic gates on kick and toms, the Symetrix on bass mic, one side of the Drawmer on the lead singer, and the other side for backup vocals. There is also a dbx 166a there that I will sometimes use on keys or something, if needed. Sometimes I will bring along my BSS DPR-404. I almost never use any of the other outboard.

Skylar Suorez

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 03:46:30 PM »

For this show, we'll definitely take what they have and won't bother bringing our own mics -- seems like too much hassle for both sides.

For what it's worth, I have never felt hassled by a band bringing things that they feel make their show better. If you want to bring your own mics, it's totally fine. I promise not to drop them.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 11:09:21 PM »

Skylar - thanks very much for the replies, and nice meeting you on the forum - we're looking forward to the show and yes, it's pretty straightforward.

Not worried at all about you guys dropping a mic - it's more the hectic rush of 6 bands in X hours that makes things crazy. house 57 on amps vs. a 906? Not a problem for us - we're easy. I saw the mic and DI list you guys have and it will suit us just fine.

4 monitor mixes is great; we've worked with 2 so we'll be very happy to have 4 different ones.

Perhaps I'll see you on the 18th - not sure yet if we're playing in the afternoon or evening, but we're looking forward to the road trip. If only our drummer had a car that could carry his own kit...

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 12:50:02 AM »

Skylar - just found out this morning the show will be 12:30 to 4pm, with bands playing for 20 min each and 10 minutes changeover inbetween.

Common backline, including drums, keys and amps for all, so that eliminates a lot of hassles for everyone. We'll send our backline requests by May 6, they'll tell us what they have by June 3rd. So the plot alone will do just fine.

Looking forward to it! should be fun, and looking forward to driving up with just 2 guitars, a bass and my pedalboard - we can actually fit people in the minivan now!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 08:25:23 AM »

Our band made it to the 2nd round of the Fortune Battle of the bands - thanks to everyone for their hints on recording with the HD24 as the demo CD really helped. We're playing June 18th at Bottom of the Hill (www.bottomofthehill.com) in San Francisco). Any tips or thoughts on this venue would be appreciated.

What they have:
1 APHEX “Model 108/Easyrider” stereo/dual-mono compressor
1- ASHLY “CL52e” stereo/dual-mono compressor
1- AUDIO LOGIC “Model 440” quad noise gate
1- DBX “266XL” stereo/dual-mono compressor w/ gate
1- DRAWMER “DL241” stereo/dual-mono compressor w/ gate
2- SYMETRIX “Model 501” mono compressor w/ limiter
1- VALLEY/US AUDIO “Gatex” quad noise gate

Looking at their outboard, I'm trying to figure out what would be best used on our input list. DW Kit has kick, snare, hat, cymbals & 5 rack toms, keyboard, bass, 2 guitars and 3 vocals.

Right now, I'm thinking of using the following for inserts based on their inventory, but am open to suggestions from anyone - thanks!

PM sent.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 07:59:06 PM »

So we got the backline list from them, and it's fine - Yamaha 5-piece kit, Twin Reverbs, AC30 6TB, JCM900, and for bass a Gallien Krueger 800RB with a 4x10 and 1x15 cab. Triton Extreme 76 and Yamaha S90 XS keyboard.

I'm fine with a Twin, since it's close to my 6L6 Bandmaster; we're working with our other guitarist to see how he likes my Keeley-modded TS9 in front of his Vox (he has the modeling VT100) to simulate him plugging into the AC30 without turning it up to Ouch to get that AC30 sound.

Will print out the preset lists for the 2 keyboards ahead of time for our keyboard player, so he knows what patches for our 5 songs (20 minutes ain't long).

Should be fun, and only having to drive up with guitars and pedalboard makes me feel almost spoiled. Family looking forward to the road trip and the full weekend in San Francisco, and we'll pack the house with friends.

Thanks again to all for the tips, suggestions and offers, and I'll let you know how it goes in a little over 3 weeks.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 09:09:07 PM »

So we got the backline list from them, and it's fine - Yamaha 5-piece kit, Twin Reverbs, AC30 6TB, JCM900, and for bass a Gallien Krueger 800RB with a 4x10 and 1x15 cab. Triton Extreme 76 and Yamaha S90 XS keyboard.

I'm fine with a Twin, since it's close to my 6L6 Bandmaster; we're working with our other guitarist to see how he likes my Keeley-modded TS9 in front of his Vox (he has the modeling VT100) to simulate him plugging into the AC30 without turning it up to Ouch to get that AC30 sound.

Will print out the preset lists for the 2 keyboards ahead of time for our keyboard player, so he knows what patches for our 5 songs (20 minutes ain't long).

Should be fun, and only having to drive up with guitars and pedalboard makes me feel almost spoiled. Family looking forward to the road trip and the full weekend in San Francisco, and we'll pack the house with friends.

Thanks again to all for the tips, suggestions and offers, and I'll let you know how it goes in a little over 3 weeks.

Ned,
If you want to pay for the shipping to and from I have 3 deluxe Reverbs, 2 Super Reverbs, 1 Pro Reverb, and 2 Mesa Lonestars for you to choose from.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 10:52:39 PM »

Ned,
If you want to pay for the shipping to and from I have 3 deluxe Reverbs, 2 Super Reverbs, 1 Pro Reverb, and 2 Mesa Lonestars for you to choose from.

Bob - thanks for the offer - would love to use some great gear like your amps or even my own amps and our own keyboard, but the event staff wants common backline that they have rented for all 6 bands. With 20 minute sets each and only 10 minute changeovers, we won't be able to bring our own amps. I had asked for a DR instead of a Twin, but they came back with Twins.

Hopefully since we're the 4th band up the stage volume will be addressed by then with bands being asked to turn down, or we'll know what we have to turn down to hear ourselves. With no soundcheck, we'll need to ensure we can hear each other well and that vocals aren't drowned out. A bit tricky, but we can do it. We're working on dynamics now, including reigning in our other guitar player, who likes to unfortunately play really loud. Getting him used to playing quieter except when he solos. I'm used to stomping on a boost pedal for solos and matching my clean and crunch volumes, but will take some time getting him there.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 02:45:51 AM »

The show went great this past Saturday, and the team at Bottom of the Hill + SIR and the R&R Hall of Fame people couldn't have been nicer. 6 bands starting at 12:30, each had 20 min set and roughly 10-20 minutes inbetween for changeovers. While Skylar wasn't there, a woman named Kim mixed us and made us sound great.

We ended up being one of the 2 bands from the 6 to go on to the finals in Cleveland Sept 30-Oct 1 - should be even more fun!

thanks again to everyone from the board who offered advice, and Skylar - hope Kim gave you one of our Toys custom Tortex picks.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 02:45:51 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.