ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville NX25P fried  (Read 2638 times)

David Allred

Yorkville NX25P fried
« on: June 26, 2011, 08:58:50 AM »

I set up a a one speaker system for announcements and karaoke at my family reunion.  Maybe 30 people.  Temp was in the low to mid 90's.  After about 3 hrs there was a noticeable low level of distortion, then sporadic drop outs of the sound.  At times the level would drop to about 1/3 or less. There is a multi-color LED for signal and limit.  During operation the signal light would flash (as expected) but you could see a partial illumination of red as the green would ignite, but only at that instant.  I thought maybe the heat was causing it to act up.  The amp plate was very warm.  The speaker was under a canopy, so no direct sun.  I shut it down.

When I got home I took it inside and let it return to room temp, then connected up my laptop.  Volume was about normal, I suppose, but the signal light was still doing the same (hint of red).  Low level distortion still present from the get go.

Then.... zzzz wwrrrrrrzzz  zzzkkkk (electrical buzzes and such) for about 3-4 secs and smoke poured out of the ports.

I was thinking input before the smoke happened, but now I think output.
Any ideas on what likely happened?
I am not an electronics wiz, nor do I have a o-scope (or know how to use one), but have done some component replacements in my time.  Anyone have a similar experience with the 25P or similar?

Thanks for your help.

David

PS - I know that the likely answer will be "Send it to a professional" (and I most likely will), but I want to learn something here also.

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
Re: Yorkville NX25P fried
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 06:55:59 PM »

If it's out of warranty and you decide to take the amp module out for a look snap a few pics and post them. How old is it?

Oh and of course don't touch any big caps w/o discharging them.

I set up a a one speaker system for announcements and karaoke at my family reunion.  Maybe 30 people.  Temp was in the low to mid 90's.  After about 3 hrs there was a noticeable low level of distortion, then sporadic drop outs of the sound.  At times the level would drop to about 1/3 or less. There is a multi-color LED for signal and limit.  During operation the signal light would flash (as expected) but you could see a partial illumination of red as the green would ignite, but only at that instant.  I thought maybe the heat was causing it to act up.  The amp plate was very warm.  The speaker was under a canopy, so no direct sun.  I shut it down.

When I got home I took it inside and let it return to room temp, then connected up my laptop.  Volume was about normal, I suppose, but the signal light was still doing the same (hint of red).  Low level distortion still present from the get go.

Then.... zzzz wwrrrrrrzzz  zzzkkkk (electrical buzzes and such) for about 3-4 secs and smoke poured out of the ports.

I was thinking input before the smoke happened, but now I think output.
Any ideas on what likely happened?
I am not an electronics wiz, nor do I have a o-scope (or know how to use one), but have done some component replacements in my time.  Anyone have a similar experience with the 25P or similar?

Thanks for your help.

David

PS - I know that the likely answer will be "Send it to a professional" (and I most likely will), but I want to learn something here also.
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

David Allred

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 06:58:46 AM »

If it's out of warranty and you decide to take the amp module out for a look snap a few pics and post them. How old is it?

Oh and of course don't touch any big caps w/o discharging them.

I'll try to take a few pics this afternoon.  It is about 3 - 4 yrs old.

david
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 07:02:06 AM by David Allred »

David Allred

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:31:32 PM »

Took out the amp module and ...soot worms everywhere.  There seemed to be several melted / blown out components.  I have decided to just send it in, because even if I replace the damaged parts, what caused it may be undetectable and happen again.

Thanks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:31:32 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.