ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing Caster Wheels on SRX728  (Read 13630 times)

Wali Raffiqi

Installing Caster Wheels on SRX728
« on: April 09, 2011, 01:35:51 PM »

Hi guys,

I'm sure this is nothing new to anyone and almost everyone has casters on these monsters. Is there a DIY or a "what to do and what not to do" instructions for installing casters on JBL SRX728s? Any pointers? Weak spots I should look out for?

Thanks.

Dan Johnson

• Classic LAB
  • Memphis, TN
Re: Installing Caster Wheels on SRX728
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 04:04:58 PM »

Hi guys,

I'm sure this is nothing new to anyone and almost everyone has casters on these monsters. Is there a DIY or a "what to do and what not to do" instructions for installing casters on JBL SRX728s? Any pointers? Weak spots I should look out for?

Thanks.
Here's one person's account of how they did it on their subs with lots of pics as well as other people's comments on the job he did.

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/390316/22040/#msg_390316

Wali Raffiqi

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 02:20:53 PM »

Thank you Dan!

Donnie Evans

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »

Thank you Dan!

I recall someone also posting some pics of installing removeable caster boards on some cabs on the old site... but I can't remember who... anybody else remember who?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 01:29:28 PM »

I recall someone also posting some pics of installing removeable caster boards on some cabs on the old site... but I can't remember who... anybody else remember who?

There's nothing special about caster boards, but I'll see about getting a couple of pics for you when I get in the shop later.

Have phun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Donnie Evans

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 01:40:28 PM »

There's nothing special about caster boards, but I'll see about getting a couple of pics for you when I get in the shop later.

Have phun, good luck.

Tim Mc

This is the one I was remembering.  Pretty slick...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 02:03:10 PM »

This is the one I was remembering.  Pretty slick...

The KV2 aren't the only magnetic caster boards, but they're among the nicest!

In the "manual" line, both Clair and ShowCo have used small butterfly latches to hold the caster boards to the front of subs and fills.  Some folks just use ratchet straps.  I think attaching casters directly to speakers is an invitation to rattles and other vibration-related noise.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Terry Martin

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 05:49:01 PM »

Here's a link from the old forum - it includes a pictures and story of my caster project on the SRX728S. 

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/25918/0/0/1151/

Unfortunately, (evidently), I've moved the pictures on Photobucket, so I'm including here for reference.  I've had zero failures - other than the casters themselves.

The casterboards were made from Lowes-grade birch plywood.  Covered with Duratex.  ...which is VERY easy to work with (cleans up with water).  Buy there rollers and you'll get an almost identical surface finish appearance to the SRX.  The casters are from Audiopile.  I've gotten a lot of good products from them, but the casters just won't hold up to our abuse.  My suggestion is to buy a caster with good references.  I took some advice from a fellow Labster and steered away from t-nuts inside the box - I used a larger washer and locknut.  I did use t-nuts in the board itself, to mount the casters to the board.

I really like the full casterboard, as opposed to the smaller ones on the end.  ...it takes the beating over high door thresholds and curbs, instead of the box.  ...and nothing a quick brush of Duratex won't fix.

Terry

Hi guys,

Thanks.

Wali Raffiqi

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 10:57:27 PM »

Terry,

That looks great! And I like the Duratex. Couple of questions; did you bolt the whole caster board on to the subs? If so, how many bolts did you use?
 About Duratex, how much of it did you have to use on 4 casters?
And lastly, did you ever end up getting any covers for the subs?

Thanks.

Terry Martin

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 07:42:25 AM »

Yes, I bolted the whole board to the box.  4 bolts total through of 1 of the 4 holes in each caster.  Same as typical on roadcases. 

I believe I bought a half gallon pail of Duratex - but it may have been a gallon??  It was a regular item at their online store.  I also bought their foam rollers.

I didn't do covers.  I wanted to but didn't.  I did get quotes from both Cloud9 and Undercover.   I use a large area rug in the trailer to insulate the boxes against scuffs/scratches from road cases.  It works in my pack and is probably quicker. 

Quote from: Wali Raffiqi
link=topic=1872.msg10202#msg10202 date=130257704

Terry,

That looks great! And I like the Duratex. Couple of questions; did you bolt the whole caster board on to the subs? If so, how many bolts did you use?
 About Duratex, how much of it did you have to use on 4 casters?
And lastly, did you ever end up getting any covers for the subs?

Thanks.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 07:42:25 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.