ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW 222 acceptable wedge for tour?  (Read 6097 times)

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
EAW 222 acceptable wedge for tour?
« on: April 14, 2011, 11:43:56 PM »

Hey Guys
I am getting ready to head back out on tour in a couple weeks for a couple week run in south america. I got an interesting email from our PM, saying that one of our stops is supposed to have a bunch of EAW 222 wedges for us and 850's for sidefills. I don't mind the 850's, but I have never used the EAW 222 before. Do any of you guys have any experience with these wedges? We are usually carrying a bunch of D&B M2's and J8's for sidefills. How will these wedges compare to the D&B stuff, if there is anyway to compare them. Music is pretty loud rock, with a lot of stage volume, depending on the show.

http://www.eaw.com/info/EAW/Loudspeaker_product_info/Legacy_Loudspeakers/SM_series/SM222.pdf

Thanks
Steven
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Jay Rigby

Re: EAW 222 acceptable wedge for tour?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 03:21:06 AM »

Hey Steven,

We have 30 SM222's and I have to say they are one of the loudest wedges out there (bi-amped) and there's tons of punch from the dual 12's too.  The only reason you don't really see the too often is that they are HUGE!  But you shouldn't have any problem getting them plenty loud.  I'd be more worried about the 850's compared to your J8's!

DavidTurner

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 12:01:45 AM »

With the right power and processing, you can peel paint with those things.

Hey Guys
I am getting ready to head back out on tour in a couple weeks for a couple week run in south america. I got an interesting email from our PM, saying that one of our stops is supposed to have a bunch of EAW 222 wedges for us and 850's for sidefills. I don't mind the 850's, but I have never used the EAW 222 before. Do any of you guys have any experience with these wedges? We are usually carrying a bunch of D&B M2's and J8's for sidefills. How will these wedges compare to the D&B stuff, if there is anyway to compare them. Music is pretty loud rock, with a lot of stage volume, depending on the show.

http://www.eaw.com/info/EAW/Loudspeaker_product_info/Legacy_Loudspeakers/SM_series/SM222.pdf

Thanks
Steven

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 09:56:08 AM »

Hey Steven,

We have 30 SM222's and I have to say they are one of the loudest wedges out there (bi-amped) and there's tons of punch from the dual 12's too.  The only reason you don't really see the too often is that they are HUGE!  But you shouldn't have any problem getting them plenty loud.  I'd be more worried about the 850's compared to your J8's!

Alright, I am a little worried about the configuration, we usually have 3 wedges in front of the main artist in a semi circle, but it does not look like this will be possible due to the size of these wedges.

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

DavidTurner

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 10:00:26 AM »

They are reasonably low profile...the box is just tall enough to accomadate a 12.
Hey Steven,

Alright, I am a little worried about the configuration, we usually have 3 wedges in front of the main artist in a semi circle, but it does not look like this will be possible due to the size of these wedges.

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 01:04:07 PM »

There are 222's and there are 222's. Originals had ATC 12's, 1 x NL4, and dual 1/4" inputs, 2.3 ohm minimum impedance and fuses speaker protection. The passive shaping components are very different than later models with RCF's. All of the passive components are  subject to degradation by now. There are many with JBL 2204's on the low end. Different  HF devices got used over the years. I'd ask for some clarification on componentry & general condition.Pics would be nice. All of the wedges on your show should sound the same.

The HF horn (DDS 2-61) is one of my alltime favorites.

Lee Brenkman

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 07:12:43 PM »

All of the wedges on your show should sound the same.

Everything you say in you post is true, especially the part I've left quoted above.

That said, it has been my experience that in some parts of the world, including the one the OP is headed for, I would be relieved if all of the wedges provided for my show were working at all  :(

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 07:12:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.