ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Kick Drum Mic?  (Read 200958 times)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Best Kick Drum Mic?
« Reply #260 on: December 27, 2023, 05:29:47 PM »

Pre-EQ'd mics aren't my favourite.

I found a way to remove the "scoop" from a Sennheiser e902, so mostly use one of those. Sometimes it'll be an AKG D12VR if I want something with a more "vintage" mid-high range.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #261 on: December 30, 2023, 04:28:14 PM »

Pre-EQ'd mics aren't my favourite.

I found a way to remove the "scoop" from a Sennheiser e902, so mostly use one of those. Sometimes it'll be an AKG D12VR if I want something with a more "vintage" mid-high range.

Chris
Of the "pre-q'd" mics, it is one of the most flexible. :)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jarrod Schroeder

« Reply #262 on: February 22, 2024, 12:13:55 AM »

Ah, pre-eq'd mics.  Great if you work with the same drummer all the time and have a common goal for the way the bass drum should sound.  In the 1980s, having every kick drum sound like Herman Rarebel wasn't so bad...

The 91... put it in the drum, as close to the batter head without touching.  Put another mic at the hole in the reso head, with the diaphragm a couple inches inside the hole; you'll be moving it in/out to get the desired LF content.  The 91 is for the "click", the distance between it and other mic will cause a comb filter at a desirable frequency, and the other mic is used for the LF/subwoofer content.  This kind of the 'classic' deployment.

Have fun!

ch_1 91 in
ch_2 52 out

That was written on the input list for a show I was at last spring

When we rolled the drum box up to the riser, the drummer had a huge smile on his face right away
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 07:58:39 AM by Jarrod Schroeder »

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #263 on: March 17, 2024, 08:36:57 PM »

That mic is very inexpensive. I was going to order a Shure SM91 that someone either walked away with or was left in a kick drum but I'm going to give this one a shot.

This is nice to see. It's been a while since anyone has uncovered a hidden gem. It's extra nice when it's something that everybody can use, and it only costs $79.00.

Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #264 on: March 17, 2024, 08:45:16 PM »

This is nice to see. It's been a while since anyone has uncovered a hidden gem. It's extra nice when it's something that everybody can use, and it only costs $79.00.

I still use it almost every show and just love it - not just performance but fast and straightforward  deployment makes it a winner!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #264 on: March 17, 2024, 08:45:16 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 26 queries.