ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Polarity reversal for live sound  (Read 19779 times)

Brian Ehlers

• West Michigan
Re: Polarity reversal for live sound
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 06:41:40 PM »

I have heard of running the monitor system's polarity opposite that of the mains, but that's something different than what's being talked about here.
This is a good idea.  Because the monitors are facing the opposite way of the mains, you want to make sure all drivers move the same direction.   ;D

OK, sarcasm is now turned off.

But I have heard more than one car stereo installer insist that the right door loudspeaker should be wired with polarity opposite the left door loudspeaker.  That way they will be in phase.  Seriously.   ::)

Phil Hornung

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 09:40:31 PM »

So, do you really want to roll the dice and change the polarity of an input while the show is going on when you don't really know what's going to happen?

What will likely happen if you do this with an analog desk that is more than a few years old is a big POW! Other than channels 1-4 on a desk, those polarity buttons rarely (if ever) get used. Time goes by, they get dirty, along comes us wanting to try something out....
Not a problem on digital consoles, but beware - I have encountered this frequently.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 09:40:31 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 24 queries.