Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Can an Avid Venue console write automation in Pro Tools?

(1/4) > >>

erikstromstad:
We are thinking about purchasing a Venue Mix Rack console with Pro Tools cards as a Broadcast mix console.  Can anybody tell me if Pro Tools will write the automation (fader moves, etc.) from the live mix into the tracks so that you can start post production right where you left off the night of the show?

Thanks
Erik

Phil Hornung:

--- Quote from: erikstromstad on April 08, 2011, 12:51:16 PM ---We are thinking about purchasing a Venue Mix Rack console with Pro Tools cards as a Broadcast mix console.  Can anybody tell me if Pro Tools will write the automation (fader moves, etc.) from the live mix into the tracks so that you can start post production right where you left off the night of the show?

Thanks
Erik

--- End quote ---

My understanding is that all VENUE systems (all sizes and price points) whether LE or HD interface are just an audio interface protools. It feels deceiving to see the playback in soundcheck mode on the console, but it's just using the audio tracks as a source for a live mixing console. It doesn't act as a control surface for protools. That being said, the console is digital control surface, so the possibility exists that it could be made to work somehow with future updates, etc. But at the same time it might shrink their market on selling icon products if they did that, so maybe not.
Phil

Justice C. Bigler:
I guess the next step in live automation is to be able to record all of , not just the automation, but also all of the actual faders moves. That way all you have to do is hire the engineer for the tech rehearsal process and then the lighting console can trigger all of the automation and fader playbacks.

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Justice C. Bigler on April 09, 2011, 05:35:51 AM ---I guess the next step in live automation is to be able to record all of , not just the automation, but also all of the actual faders moves. That way all you have to do is hire the engineer for the tech rehearsal process and then the lighting console can trigger all of the automation and fader playbacks.

--- End quote ---

What next? DM2000 has always been able to do that, as well as be a control surface for PT.

Mac

Justice C. Bigler:

--- Quote from: Mac Kerr on April 09, 2011, 07:42:09 AM ---What next? DM2000 has always been able to do that, as well as be a control surface for PT.
--- End quote ---

Really? You mean Yamaha has been doing something for almost a decade that Avid doesn't?

One of the things I really loved about my 01V96 is that it could route live audio AND work as a control surface for Protools at the same time (albeit on different layers). But yeah, now that I think of it, if you are using PT tracks as playback or virtual sound check, you could use the Protools control surface automation to follow the PT mix during your playback.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version