ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mackie HD1221 HD1521 rotating horn  (Read 4044 times)

LeVan Moxley

• King, NC
    • Moxley Production Services
Mackie HD1221 HD1521 rotating horn
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:42:38 PM »

I read in the specs that the HD1221 and the HD1521 both have rotatable horns.  What would be the pros and cons of rotating the horn to 90 vertical and 50 horizontal and then use 2 per side for 100 horizontal coverage.  One obvious advantage would be twice the power per side.  Is this a good idea or not?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:47:50 PM by LeVan Moxley »

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Mackie HD1221 HD1521 rotating horn
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 08:42:24 AM »

I read in the specs that the HD1221 and the HD1521 both have rotatable horns.  What would be the pros and cons of rotating the horn to 90 vertical and 50 horizontal and then use 2 per side for 100 horizontal coverage.  One obvious advantage would be twice the power per side.  Is this a good idea or not?
*imoortant note - I have not used the speakers in question, nor have I even seen them *
90 vertical would seem to be putting an awfull lot of sound where there are no people listening....
However, as always, it depends. If I were mounting the speaker on its side, I would want to rotate the horn.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Brian Ehlers

• West Michigan
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 12:26:42 PM »

This thread probably belongs in the Lounge.

If I'm following your reasoning correctly, you think that by adding a second speaker (with horns rotated), you are gaining not only 10 degrees of horizontal converage but also doubling the power.  Win-win!  Not really.  You are burning twice as much power (compared to a single speaker), and putting twice as much acoustic power into the room.  But you are simply spreading it over a larger area -- most of which is in the verticle plane, probably not where you need it.

Actually, the big qualifier to what I said above is that this only applies for the frequency range covered by the horn.  I haven't looked at the specs, but I'm guessing that's only above 1.5 kHz or so.  Frequencies below that will suffer from comb filtering --doubling the acoustic response at some frequencies, and completely eliminating it at others.

For best results, if you need to array speakers (to increase coverage and/or increase power), then stick to speakers designed to be arrayed.  In other words, speakers which have good pattern control down to much lower frequencies.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 12:26:42 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.