ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Can an Avid Venue console write automation in Pro Tools?  (Read 9703 times)

erikstromstad

Can an Avid Venue console write automation in Pro Tools?
« on: April 08, 2011, 12:51:16 pm »

We are thinking about purchasing a Venue Mix Rack console with Pro Tools cards as a Broadcast mix console.  Can anybody tell me if Pro Tools will write the automation (fader moves, etc.) from the live mix into the tracks so that you can start post production right where you left off the night of the show?

Thanks
Erik

Phil Hornung

Re: Can an Avid Venue console write automation in Pro Tools?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 08:45:34 pm »

We are thinking about purchasing a Venue Mix Rack console with Pro Tools cards as a Broadcast mix console.  Can anybody tell me if Pro Tools will write the automation (fader moves, etc.) from the live mix into the tracks so that you can start post production right where you left off the night of the show?

Thanks
Erik

My understanding is that all VENUE systems (all sizes and price points) whether LE or HD interface are just an audio interface protools. It feels deceiving to see the playback in soundcheck mode on the console, but it's just using the audio tracks as a source for a live mixing console. It doesn't act as a control surface for protools. That being said, the console is digital control surface, so the possibility exists that it could be made to work somehow with future updates, etc. But at the same time it might shrink their market on selling icon products if they did that, so maybe not.
Phil

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Somewhere between the Atlantic and Pacific
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 05:35:51 am »

I guess the next step in live automation is to be able to record all of , not just the automation, but also all of the actual faders moves. That way all you have to do is hire the engineer for the tech rehearsal process and then the lighting console can trigger all of the automation and fader playbacks.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com
Head Audio/A1 Blue Man Group: Speechless tour

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 07:42:09 am »

I guess the next step in live automation is to be able to record all of , not just the automation, but also all of the actual faders moves. That way all you have to do is hire the engineer for the tech rehearsal process and then the lighting console can trigger all of the automation and fader playbacks.

What next? DM2000 has always been able to do that, as well as be a control surface for PT.

Mac

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 03:56:22 pm »

What next? DM2000 has always been able to do that, as well as be a control surface for PT.

Really? You mean Yamaha has been doing something for almost a decade that Avid doesn't?

One of the things I really loved about my 01V96 is that it could route live audio AND work as a control surface for Protools at the same time (albeit on different layers). But yeah, now that I think of it, if you are using PT tracks as playback or virtual sound check, you could use the Protools control surface automation to follow the PT mix during your playback.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

BradLyons

• dB AUDIO & VIDEO
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 06:22:58 pm »

Thanks
Erik

Erik,

Welcome to the group---your post encouraged me to sign up here as well :-)  I've been using the VENUE console since it first hit the market and urged my church to purchase one of the first Venue consoles in existence.  Since then Venue has gone from an actual console to a family of consoles including their newest board the SC48 (which one sets next to my desk at GC PRO in Atlanta--the outside professional division of Guitar Center).  Understand that the VENUE CONSOLE is a live sound console, it is not a control surface for Pro Tools---so one should feel deceived or think that AVID is behind.  While Pro Tools is amazing and re-wrote the entire industry for audio recording, VENUE has and is doing the same with the Venue console---but not everyone using Venue needs Pro Tools, although even those users are starting to see the value.

To the poster about the DM2000---the DM2000 is NOT a live console, it's a studio console--which is why Yamaha later came out with the M7CL, for those using the dM2000 in a live environment.  I have used the DM2000 live and in the studio, it's no Venue console---then again, Venue is no DM2000 either--they are radically different animals.  I've used Venue for FOH, monitors, Broadcast television, location recording, etc. and I can tell you there's really nothing like it when you need the integration with Pro Tools.  It's also my favorite console to install with my own clients because of the Virtual Soundcheck allowing one to really dial in a dynamite mix during down time, and have that ready to go when the show is on.

I've sold more consoles than most of those in this business, but I'm a user myself. Feel free to email me directly at   blyons@gcpro.com   with any specific questions and I'd be happy to answer them for you.

Brad Lyons
www.theaudioprofessional.com
GC PRO Account Manager
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
Systems Advisor
dB AUDIO & VIDEO
www.dbaudioandvideo.com
www.howavl.com (To meet me)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 07:34:33 pm »

I've sold more consoles than most of those in this business, but I'm a user myself. Feel free to email me directly at   blyons@gcpro.com   with any specific questions and I'd be happy to answer them for you.

Brad Lyons
GC PRO Account Manager

What does this post have to do with being able to write automation in Protools?

Does this count as a manufacturer's representative?
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Dany Meeuwissen

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 02:57:29 pm »

Thanks
Erik

Hi Erik,

first of all, I do work for a Avid VENUE dealer, but I'm also a FOH-engineer with quite some experience with these desks.

Anyway, Protools wouldn't record automation during a show with one exception:
When using VENUE link between a console and a Protools system (by using a CAT5-cable in between both) Protools will automatically create a marker every time a snapshot is recalled on the console during recording. The snapshots are also named equal to the snapshot name.
After the show, when you recall a given snapshot, protools will automatically go to the marker and playback from there.

So it's not really like full automation writing, but I could imagine this would help a lot when remixing in a broadcast situation.
Only thing to be aware of, is to make a snapshot list in advance, even if it's a blank one.

Another cool function of the venue link is that protools can create a session with the right amount of mono/stereo tracks, already named, and patched by just reading the console layout, which saves you a lot of time in Protools-preparation.

Hope this helps...
Dany

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 08:48:41 pm »

Erik,

Welcome to the group---your post encouraged me to sign up here as well :-)  I've been using the VENUE console since it first hit the market and urged my church to purchase one of the first Venue consoles in existence.  Since then Venue has gone from an actual console to a family of consoles including their newest board the SC48 (which one sets next to my desk at GC PRO in Atlanta--the outside professional division of Guitar Center).  Understand that the VENUE CONSOLE is a live sound console, it is not a control surface for Pro Tools---so one should feel deceived or think that AVID is behind.  While Pro Tools is amazing and re-wrote the entire industry for audio recording, VENUE has and is doing the same with the Venue console---but not everyone using Venue needs Pro Tools, although even those users are starting to see the value.

To the poster about the DM2000---the DM2000 is NOT a live console, it's a studio console--which is why Yamaha later came out with the M7CL, for those using the dM2000 in a live environment.  I have used the DM2000 live and in the studio, it's no Venue console---then again, Venue is no DM2000 either--they are radically different animals.  I've used Venue for FOH, monitors, Broadcast television, location recording, etc. and I can tell you there's really nothing like it when you need the integration with Pro Tools.  It's also my favorite console to install with my own clients because of the Virtual Soundcheck allowing one to really dial in a dynamite mix during down time, and have that ready to go when the show is on.

Brad Lyons
GC PRO Account Manager

Brad,
First off "Welcome to the group---your post encouraged me to sign up here as well"?????
Well, Brad, welcome to the group.

I would not say that PT "re-wrote the entire industry for audio recording" neither would I say that "...VENUE has and is doing the same with the Venue console" (I assume you meant in live sound mixing).  In many area's I believe that AVID is really behind the curve.  For instance, when will AVID create the ability to actually split the digital I/O and allow the FOH and Monitor desks to both digitally link to the same stage boxes?  Many recording systems are of higher quality than PT and many consoles sound better, offer more features and still offer a virtual sound check capability.
The correct system for the individual is determined by picking the correct tool for the job at hand.

Some of the critical factors for determining a best fit for a live sound console are going to be (in no particular order):
required I/O and format
number of busses
simultaneously available faders
ability to have offline editing
rider acceptance
sound quality
Sample rate capability
and many more

For broadcast consoles (depending on your actual broadcast needs such as multiple mix stems, etc.) there are far better choices on the market.  Depending on your needs and budget range check on Studer Vista series, various Euphonix options, Smart AV, DIGICO and others.

Your post sounds like a Digidesign sales brochure and it seems like you are trolling for business, strictly forbidden on the forums.

Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 09:03:22 pm by Lee Buckalew »
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 11:11:47 pm »

vlammie, you're going to have to change your profile to use your real name; them's the rulz around here.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.