ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Sennheiser WSM Mac experts?  (Read 11270 times)

Mike Grignon

Any Sennheiser WSM Mac experts?
« on: April 08, 2011, 11:50:16 am »

Hello, I am looking for anyone who has been successfully using Sennheiser's Wireless Systems Manager software on their Mac to offer any insight. I don't use Net1 and have been testing this software with just a direct RJ45 ethernet connection between MacBook Pro and EM 300 G3 receiver.

The first few tries of starting up the WSM software locked up my MBP hard. (This has never happened before ever). I started up the Mac in Safe Mode and was able to get the WSM running. I could view the receiver's RF/AF and battery parameters just fine but every time I attempt to use the RF Spectrum Analyzer function (The main reason I want to use the software) I get a software message, "Unable To Obtain Remote Access."

After running the WSM app several times in Safe Mode, I was able to run the software after a normal startup (apparently Safe Mode boot did away with whatever conflict was hanging the WSM?) but I still get the same error message when attempting a spectrum scan. I've tried it with firewall On and Off and got the same results.

This might be simple and dumb, but is it possible that an EM 300 can not to an WSM spectrum scan since the unit does not have it's own built-in scan function like the EM 500 or 2000/3000 series? Sennheiser's literature claims the software works with EM 300 and I can find no information anywhere that the spectrum analyzer function won't work.
RF Audio/Remote Audio Tech. * Broadcast Sports & Events

Robert "VOiD" Caprio

• Long Island, NY
    • Interzone Studios
Re: Any Sennheiser WSM Mac experts?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 01:17:13 pm »

First, before the mods jump all over you, put your full, real name in your profile display.

Second, try shutting off your airport while using WSM with a direct ethernet connection... advise with your results. It is possible  but unlikely that the 300 is the culprit.
FOH/MON/REC/MIX Engineer/Producer/TM/RF Tech
Currently mixing MON for Boston
www.interzonestudios.com
void at interzonestudios dot com

Mike Grignon

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 08:52:06 pm »

Maybe because my thread was locked for the first three days after posting,  the responses have been limited... or just that nobody has any other ideas?

I am sure the wireless was off during install and use of the WSM app. But I can double-check again starting Friday when I have access to the Sennheiser systems again for a few days. Thanks for that suggestion, though.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 09:01:14 pm »

Hello, I am looking for anyone who has been successfully using Sennheiser's Wireless Systems Manager software on their Mac to offer any insight. I don't use Net1 and have been testing this software with just a direct RJ45 ethernet connection between MacBook Pro and EM 300 G3 receiver.

The first few tries of starting up the WSM software locked up my MBP hard. (This has never happened before ever). I started up the Mac in Safe Mode and was able to get the WSM running. I could view the receiver's RF/AF and battery parameters just fine but every time I attempt to use the RF Spectrum Analyzer function (The main reason I want to use the software) I get a software message, "Unable To Obtain Remote Access."

After running the WSM app several times in Safe Mode, I was able to run the software after a normal startup (apparently Safe Mode boot did away with whatever conflict was hanging the WSM?) but I still get the same error message when attempting a spectrum scan. I've tried it with firewall On and Off and got the same results.

This might be simple and dumb, but is it possible that an EM 300 can not to an WSM spectrum scan since the unit does not have it's own built-in scan function like the EM 500 or 2000/3000 series? Sennheiser's literature claims the software works with EM 300 and I can find no information anywhere that the spectrum analyzer function won't work.

I have not had any issues with WSM locking it up and I've been using it for a long time on my MacBook Pro.  I had one problem with a WSM update causing a shutdown but it turned out to be a permissions issue.  After correcting it everything was fine.

Have you contacted Sennheiser?  They are usually very responsive and if they don't know they will find out. 

Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Chris James

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 10:40:01 pm »

Try this:
Delete the program and try loading it again, when you install again make sure airport is turned off of course. When you are connected to the receiver, go to SYSTEM at top of the menu bar and turn on remote access, this will be apparent when you can see red dots in the right hand corner of the strips in the window.
That should do it, good luck.
Apex Sound & Light Corporation
d&b audiotechnik partner Canada

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 12:21:55 am »

First, before the mods jump all over you, put your full, real name in your profile display.

Second, try shutting off your airport while using WSM with a direct ethernet connection... advise with your results. It is possible  but unlikely that the 300 is the culprit.

HeyRobert,
  I just wanted to say thanks.  I had been having trouble with my WSM and came across this thread.  Saw your post.  Turned off Airport. Viola!  Problem solved.  A tip of the hat to you, sir.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Robert "VOiD" Caprio

• Long Island, NY
    • Interzone Studios
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 07:51:40 pm »

HeyRobert,
  I just wanted to say thanks.  I had been having trouble with my WSM and came across this thread.  Saw your post.  Turned off Airport. Viola!  Problem solved.  A tip of the hat to you, sir.

Anytime. That's what we're here for.
FOH/MON/REC/MIX Engineer/Producer/TM/RF Tech
Currently mixing MON for Boston
www.interzonestudios.com
void at interzonestudios dot com

Mike Grignon

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 12:07:38 pm »

Try this:
Delete the program and try loading it again, when you install again make sure airport is turned off of course. When you are connected to the receiver, go to SYSTEM at top of the menu bar and turn on remote access, this will be apparent when you can see red dots in the right hand corner of the strips in the window.
That should do it, good luck.

I knew my wireless was off on the original install and usage attempts, since I wanted the possible system network connections to be simplified. WSM was able to make a connection and report the mic/receiver's RF/AF/Battery status. It was the Spectrum Frequency Scan function that kept giving me the "No remote connection" message. However, deleting and reinstalling the WSM software, as suggested, did the trick. Everything works great now on my MacBook Pro. Thanks.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 12:07:38 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.