ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this the place for radio broadcast questions?  (Read 12797 times)

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
Is this the place for radio broadcast questions?
« on: April 08, 2011, 03:00:37 AM »

I've been asked to install a new desk in a local community radio station. I had a look the other day and things are very different to what I'm used to.

So once I start, is this the right place?

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Is this the place for radio broadcast questions?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 08:27:44 AM »

I've been asked to install a new desk in a local community radio station. I had a look the other day and things are very different to what I'm used to.

So once I start, is this the right place?
I'm not sure what you are asking, but the consoles used for radio are generally different from those used for live sound or recording.  Radio broadcast consoles that I've seen typically have a smaller channel count and rather basic controls with a focus on simple operation.  No auxes, subgroups, etc., often just main mix, cue and maybe talkback and sometimes with only being able to assign a channel to one of those at a time.  Larger meters (typically VU), knobs, faders and buttons to be easy to operate while focusing on other things.  Some consoles integrate some simple machine/computer control.  They also often use multipin connectors for the audio connections.

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 09:31:37 PM »

The desk is digital, comprising of a control surface and a rack mount unit. The i/o on the rack is via RJ something or other. I'm hoping to understand the entire signal flow inc the broadcast gear (transmitters etc). As there is no-one who has any knowledge of the gear at the station, I have to start from scratch. The previous "president" ordered the gear and was then dismissed.

So once I start, I will be asking questions about devices in the machine room, what they do and how they interface with the rest of the system.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:02:28 AM »

Sounds like it may be something like a Wheatstone console that uses WheatNet-IP.  You may be able to get a great deal of help and support from the manufacturers, however if you really want to do this type of work, and especially want to know more about or work on the transmission aspects, then you might want to get involved in the Society of Broadcast Engineers (http://www.sbe.org/) and perhaps pursue some of the SBE certifications.

While this may be a great opportunity for you both in getting the work and in being a learning opportunity, is it really best serving the station?  Might it be better in the long run for both you and the station to bring in or subcontract someone who has some experience with the systems involved?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 08:17:13 AM »

The desk is digital, comprising of a control surface and a rack mount unit. The i/o on the rack is via RJ something or other. I'm hoping to understand the entire signal flow inc the broadcast gear (transmitters etc). As there is no-one who has any knowledge of the gear at the station, I have to start from scratch. The previous "president" ordered the gear and was then dismissed.
Sounds like it may be something like a Wheatstone console that uses WheatNet-IP.  You may be able to get a great deal of help and support from the manufacturers, however if you really want to do this type of work, and especially want to know more about or work on the transmission aspects, then you might want to get involved in the Society of Broadcast Engineers (http://www.sbe.org/) and perhaps pursue some of the SBE certifications.

While this may be a great opportunity for you both in getting the work and in being a learning opportunity, is it really best serving the station?  Might it be better in the long run for both you and the station to bring in or subcontract someone who has some experience with the systems involved?

The other possibility is the Telos Axia system. Both the Wheatstone and Axia are IP based systems with all their I/O on RJ45 connectors. You can buy RJ45 to XLR cables from Studio Hub.

Mac
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:18:54 AM by Mac Kerr »

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 08:48:36 AM »

Their budget is $0. There are no deadlines.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 11:34:07 AM »

So once I start, I will be asking questions about devices in the machine room, what they do and how they interface with the rest of the system.

Hello,

With all respect.....why are you involved with a project that is clearly over your head?

This type of work is best left to a broadcast technician, in the States, that means someone that has a Broadcast license or, someone that is supervised by a licensed Broadcast Technician.

Pass on this job, you could be asking for fines, or a whole-lotta legal troubles.

Hammer

Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 11:04:08 PM »

Hello,

With all respect.....why are you involved with a project that is clearly over your head?

This type of work is best left to a broadcast technician, in the States, that means someone that has a Broadcast license or, someone that is supervised by a licensed Broadcast Technician.

Pass on this job, you could be asking for fines, or a whole-lotta legal troubles.

Hammer

This is a community station run by seniors. It is effectively a converted bedroom. All I've been asked to do is install a new desk. As there is no deadline, I can take my time to gather the appropriate information before I undertake any removal or installation.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 10:20:17 AM »

This is a community station run by seniors. It is effectively a converted bedroom. All I've been asked to do is install a new desk. As there is no deadline, I can take my time to gather the appropriate information before I undertake any removal or installation.
Something is not matching up here.  Whether the console is Telos, Wheatstone, Audioarts, Arrakis, Radio Systems, Axia, AEQ or whatever, it does not sound like something one would typically associate with a community station operated by seniors out of a bedroom.  And the fact that there is no deadline, no money and no one that understands the equipment makes one wonder why the new console is needed and if trying to sell the console and get what they can to use for other things, like general maintenance of the equipment they already have, might be worth considering.

You say that all you are doing is installing a new desk, however you previously noted that you would next be asking questions about other parts of the systems and that "I'm hoping to understand the entire signal flow inc the broadcast gear (transmitters etc)."  Whether the latter are related to being for your personal growth or in order to offer related services may be an important distinction.  Wiring a replacement audio console into an existing broadcast system is one thing but some of the other areas are where they would probably need to get someone with the appropriate experience, equipment and certification to maybe make sure everything is proper and legal.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 04:01:55 PM »

Something is not matching up here.  Whether the console is Telos, Wheatstone, Audioarts, Arrakis, Radio Systems, Axia, AEQ or whatever, it does not sound like something one would typically associate with a community station operated by seniors out of a bedroom.  And the fact that there is no deadline, no money and no one that understands the equipment makes one wonder why the new console is needed and if trying to sell the console and get what they can to use for other things, like general maintenance of the equipment they already have, might be worth considering.

You say that all you are doing is installing a new desk, however you previously noted that you would next be asking questions about other parts of the systems and that "I'm hoping to understand the entire signal flow inc the broadcast gear (transmitters etc)."  Whether the latter are related to being for your personal growth or in order to offer related services may be an important distinction.  Wiring a replacement audio console into an existing broadcast system is one thing but some of the other areas are where they would probably need to get someone with the appropriate experience, equipment and certification to maybe make sure everything is proper and legal.

+!  a Cheap Broadcast console is an expensive purchase for a Senior center.

pew...this one stinks

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 04:01:55 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.