ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on new speakers  (Read 2958 times)

Corey Beam

Advice on new speakers
« on: February 11, 2006, 02:42:10 PM »

My church is in the buying market for speakers for our new sanctuary.  I have 3-4 years of sound experience and am the one who is "in charge" of sound now at our church.
Here's my dilemma:  we are now willing to spend about $1500 for speakers for the sanctuary (60' deep, 70' wide).  We can get some "Proel tflv" series speakers for $750 each. (  http://sound.proelgroup.com/sound/en/product.jsp?id_prod=111 10609827350) But they have a 70x70 horn and we only need a 40deg vertical horn.  Are we better off buying something more specific to our acoustical needs in terms of dispersion, or buy these if they are a good buy?  I don't want to buy us problems down the road.  Our band has 4 singers, guitars, bass, drums, congas and will be used for vocals for sermon as well.
Do you have suggestions for close to this amount of money?

Corey
Corey Beam

Ivan Beaver

Re: Advice on new speakers
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 04:47:36 PM »

I wouldn't worry to much about the 70* dispertion.  By the look of the photo (assuming the horn is 5" wide), it will have pattern control down to around 2800Hz.  Below that, it will start to become omni.  I don't know where the crossover is, but at 2800Hz the spacing of the 12's is going to cause a problem.

If you want to have 40* dispertion, to any type of low freq (say 500 Hz) you will have to have a fairly large horn.  The narrower the pattern, the larger the horn has to be to maintain control to a specific freq.

BTW, a 40* horn of the same size, will have control down to around 5KHz and then start to loose control.

I cannot comment on the feasability of this speaker, without knowing anything abou your room.
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Rory Buszka

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 01:13:37 PM »

What about something like a Community SLS960?
You always have more time than you have money.

Rory Buszka

Corey Beam

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 06:31:33 PM »

The Community SLS960 seems a little out of our price range at $3000.....we are now looking at possibly some EV QRx212/75????     http://www.electrovoice.com/Electrovoice3/products.nsf/pages /QRx-212

Thanks for the replies!

Corey
Corey Beam

Les Webb

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 11:38:38 PM »

I have heard good things about the EV ZX series.  You might look at  them.  I think they have a rotatable horn also.

Les

MIKE HARPER

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 12:46:57 PM »

We're getting the 4 of the EV FRI+122s in our new sanctuary, I don't know which horn patern we are getting but they have 3 different patterns availaible and are rotatable as well.  

http://www.electrovoice.com/Electrovoice3/products.nsf/pages /FRIplus12264
Mike Harper
Calvary Life Church
www.gocalvarylife.com

Duane Massey

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 08:59:39 PM »

EAW has an affordable 2-way speaker line; Reinkus-Heinz has a relatively new line as well. Both of these sound very smooth.
Duane Massey
Core Systems, Inc
Houston, Texas, USA

Rory Buszka

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 11:39:17 AM »

Another option from Community is their new iBOX range. Used in the Palavela at the 2006 Torino Winter Olympics. Less expensive than EAW's install range, but with almost exactly the same specs, and with subwoofers that are designed to array together with the full-range boxes. The Community iBOX range has twice the power handling than the EV, and the same large-format rotatable horns as both the EV and EAW. I have great respect for the Renkus-Heinz horns, though.

Addendum: Plenty of pretty pictures in Community's new catalog.  http://www.loudspeakers.net/files/catalogs/2006%20Community% 20Full-Line%20Brochure.pdf
You always have more time than you have money.

Rory Buszka

Duane Massey

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 11:29:31 PM »

Community is a great company, and I've done business with them since the 70's. It's a shame they don't have the name recognition of other brands outside of the pro audio industry.
Duane Massey
Core Systems, Inc
Houston, Texas, USA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 11:29:31 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.