ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: iPads not connecting reliably  (Read 3060 times)

George Reiswig

iPads not connecting reliably
« on: June 13, 2024, 04:30:41 PM »

Hi, all,

Hoping someone here can help me where Apple Support cannot.

I have all my iPads working with the Ubiquity UAP-AC-M. The problem is that the iPads frequently seem to lose connectivity in my test room. Maybe I'm too close to the AP? But it isn't giving me a warm fuzzy feeling about having reliable connectivity outdoors for running things off Mixing Station. Any "best practices" for how to improve the reliability of connections once established?

Thank you as always.

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
Re: iPads not connecting reliably
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2024, 04:55:43 PM »

Hi, all,

Hoping someone here can help me where Apple Support cannot.

I have all my iPads working with the Ubiquity UAP-AC-M. The problem is that the iPads frequently seem to lose connectivity in my test room. Maybe I'm too close to the AP? But it isn't giving me a warm fuzzy feeling about having reliable connectivity outdoors for running things off Mixing Station. Any "best practices" for how to improve the reliability of connections once established?

Thank you as always.
What console?
  How many iPads?
    “Seem to lose connectivity”?
..db

George Reiswig

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2024, 07:45:58 PM »

What console?
  How many iPads?
    “Seem to lose connectivity”?
Thanks, Dave,
X32 Rack console, two iPads, but only running one at a time. By "seems to lose connectivity," I mean the app stops responding, then gives the "Lost connectivity" message, and eventually re-connects and synchronizes. I tried running both iPads at once, one on the 5Gig connection and the other on the 2.4Gig connection, and it didn't seem to make a difference. Both lost connectivity after a bit.

My switch has a "Loop Prevention" toggle that I currently have set to ON. I tried shutting it off, and if anything that seemed to make things worse, but certainly no better.

George Reiswig

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2024, 08:19:14 PM »

Another possible clue. It just started doing it again (iPad in the same room as the AP), so I took the switch out of the network altogether, hooking the AP directly into the Remote jack on the X32. It reliably (well, for the last 5 minutes) drops the connection after right around 32 seconds.

I then restarted the AP, and re-joined that Wifi network, and it seems to have fixed the issue. But what caused the issue to start in the first place and how do I prevent it from happening during a show?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 08:24:46 PM by George Reiswig »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2024, 08:51:24 PM »

Thanks, Dave,
X32 Rack console, two iPads, but only running one at a time. By "seems to lose connectivity," I mean the app stops responding, then gives the "Lost connectivity" message, and eventually re-connects and synchronizes. I tried running both iPads at once, one on the 5Gig connection and the other on the 2.4Gig connection, and it didn't seem to make a difference. Both lost connectivity after a bit.

My switch has a "Loop Prevention" toggle that I currently have set to ON. I tried shutting it off, and if anything that seemed to make things worse, but certainly no better.

Switch?  That has nothing to do with any of this.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2024, 10:55:22 PM »

I Think it is because the iPad is trying to find a network connection that has internet on it. Unless you can turn that off and have it just look for the network that has you X32 on it this will keep happening. BUT I may be wrong.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2024, 11:09:13 PM »

Are the iPad's dropping the WIFI connection or just the app connection to the mixer while still maintaining a solid WIFI connection to the AP?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 02:43:36 PM by Mike Caldwell »

George Reiswig

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2024, 12:06:31 AM »

Are the iPad's dropping the WIFI connection or just the app connection to the mixer while still maintaining a sold WIFI connection to the AP?

Good question, and I have no idea how to test it. If the router or AP doesn’t have internet connectivity, it won’t give you a Wi-Fi indicator at the top of the screen, and the settings page shows it as connected, but always with the spinner. 

I suppose one thing I might have to try is having the iPad forget my other networks WITH internet.

George Reiswig

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2024, 12:30:47 PM »

OK, more information. I tried using the X32-Mix app, and it also loses connectivity after about 30 seconds, reliably.

Trying to eliminate variables, I plugged my old router in, in place of the Ubiquity AP. Used the same Cat6 cables, etc.

This is probably the clue needed:

The old router connects reliably. AND...it exhibits none of the strange network indicators that the Ubiquity AP did in the iOS UI. Even though the router is not attached to internet, it still shows up as a connected WiFi network, without the spinner to the left, and with a solid checkmark there instead.

The AP, on the other hand, never gets that checkmark, and the wifi indicator at upper right in the global header never showed up. So it must be something about the Ubiquity unit that I have configured wrong, or something. And I suspect that's making the iPads think that they have to keep renegotiating with the AP.

Anyone else seen this? I believe I followed Ubiquity's instructions on how to configure their unit as an Access Point, but something isn't working.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2024, 02:16:32 PM »

OK, more information. I tried using the X32-Mix app, and it also loses connectivity after about 30 seconds, reliably.

Trying to eliminate variables, I plugged my old router in, in place of the Ubiquity AP. Used the same Cat6 cables, etc.

This is probably the clue needed:

The old router connects reliably. AND...it exhibits none of the strange network indicators that the Ubiquity AP did in the iOS UI. Even though the router is not attached to internet, it still shows up as a connected WiFi network, without the spinner to the left, and with a solid checkmark there instead.

The AP, on the other hand, never gets that checkmark, and the wifi indicator at upper right in the global header never showed up. So it must be something about the Ubiquity unit that I have configured wrong, or something. And I suspect that's making the iPads think that they have to keep renegotiating with the AP.

Anyone else seen this? I believe I followed Ubiquity's instructions on how to configure their unit as an Access Point, but something isn't working.

Andy Keith Broughton solved his Ubi issues by boxing it all back up and returning to the place of purchase.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 03:56:56 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2024, 02:16:32 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.