ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL AM4215/95 HF Driver Replacement  (Read 528 times)

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
JBL AM4215/95 HF Driver Replacement
« on: June 12, 2024, 06:17:56 PM »

Hey yíall.  Iíve got some JBL AM4215/95ís flown in a church that I was brought in to tune which have blown HF drivers (2 of 4 boxes).

Speaker spec sheet here:  https://jblpro.com/es/site_elements/am4215_95-spec-sheet

Before ordering parts (2407h) I was wondering if anyone has experience and advice for doing HF driver replacement on these.  As itíll require a lift rental and ordering parts Iíd rather not get up in the air and find surprises that make things take longer.

Thanks!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: JBL AM4215/95 HF Driver Replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2024, 04:49:31 PM »

Hey yíall.  Iíve got some JBL AM4215/95ís flown in a church that I was brought in to tune which have blown HF drivers (2 of 4 boxes).

Speaker spec sheet here:  https://jblpro.com/es/site_elements/am4215_95-spec-sheet

Before ordering parts (2407h) I was wondering if anyone has experience and advice for doing HF driver replacement on these.  As itíll require a lift rental and ordering parts Iíd rather not get up in the air and find surprises that make things take longer.

Thanks!

I haven't opened up that exact speaker but others in that series you take the grill off and remove the horn. The driver maybe stuck on the horn, a strap wrench works to get it loose though you can change the diaphragm with the driver on the horn.
Clean the gap good and then some!

There are lots of cheap knock off diaphragms for those drivers, double check what you buy!
the 2407 is not the most robust abuse proof driver.
Chances are it's a blown diaphragm but you can't rule out damage to crossover as well.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2024, 01:05:58 PM »

I haven't opened up that exact speaker but others in that series you take the grill off and remove the horn. The driver maybe stuck on the horn, a strap wrench works to get it loose though you can change the diaphragm with the driver on the horn.
Clean the gap good and then some!

There are lots of cheap knock off diaphragms for those drivers, double check what you buy!
the 2407 is not the most robust abuse proof driver.
Chances are it's a blown diaphragm but you can't rule out damage to crossover as well.

Hey Mike, thanks for the reply.  So the driver screws onto the horn?  Regarding diaphragm replacement, any advice on sourcing quality replacement diaphragms?  This PA is probably going to be replaced in the next year so I'd like to do the replacement as cheap as possible (while still being effective).  I've done quite a few diaphragm replacements over the years so I'm well versed on cleaning the gap.

The box is being run bi-amped so I'm pretty sure the crossover shouldn't be an issue here.

Thanks!
Erik

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2024, 02:41:40 PM »

Do a search for D8R2407, finding one in stock could be an issue.

Are that using the JBL settings for bi-amping?

Yes the driver is a screw on model.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2024, 02:46:10 PM »

Do a search for D8R2407, finding one in stock could be an issue.

Are that using the JBL settings for bi-amping?

Yes the driver is a screw on model.

I haven't had a chance to revisit the DSP settings since I ID'ed the speakers.  Had to do the initial tune blind since the client didn't have record of what the boxes were and getting them ID'ed 25' in the air took some creative camera work.  Hoping the initial install company setup the driverack 260 with the correct crossover etc.  We'll see.

Related - there are 4 boxes in the hang, in pairs.  Each pair has one HF driver blown.  Do I replace all 4 so that they (in theory) match or are replacements usually close enough that it won't matter.  Consider that the boxes are probably 20 years old (I think).  Since they are in pairs I can't use DSP to adjust for differences in response between new and old drivers.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2024, 03:08:36 PM »

Having them match would be good, how well and aftermarket diaphragm would match the original is a guess, chances are not very well.

Now......let's face there is nothing really too special about those speakers when it comes down it.

Since you are bi-amping them you could replace all the drivers with something different like an Eminence PSD2002, the driver cost each would be less than what each JBL diaphragm cost. If you have some DIY speaker chops you can set up the DSP, some eq and limiting and have decent sounding speakers again with a harder to blow HF driver when the church service starts rocking.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2024, 05:55:33 PM »

Having them match would be good, how well and aftermarket diaphragm would match the original is a guess, chances are not very well.

Now......let's face there is nothing really too special about those speakers when it comes down it.

Since you are bi-amping them you could replace all the drivers with something different like an Eminence PSD2002, the driver cost each would be less than what each JBL diaphragm cost. If you have some DIY speaker chops you can set up the DSP, some eq and limiting and have decent sounding speakers again with a harder to blow HF driver when the church service starts rocking.

Since this is a band-aid solution, every dollar spent on a band-aid is one less dollar spent on the real solution.  It sounds like the end goal is to get the speakers upgraded to something much better and more modern.  Just me personally, I'd keep this as the main focus, and not waste any money at all on a band-aid.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2024, 10:19:21 PM »

Since this is a band-aid solution, every dollar spent on a band-aid is one less dollar spent on the real solution.  It sounds like the end goal is to get the speakers upgraded to something much better and more modern.  Just me personally, I'd keep this as the main focus, and not waste any money at all on a band-aid.

You are correct that itís a band-aid.  However, a permanent fix is best case months away and 1/2 of the HF drivers being blown is causing an immediate problem that needs a near term fix.  Itís far better to repair this than to spend a lot more money on a fast but wrong upgrade.  Itís a 140 year old room that needs proper modeling and system design done to ensure that new system best alleviates the room issues.  Till then, band-aid.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #7 on: June 15, 2024, 10:19:21 PM ¬Ľ

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.