Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Cheap Ethercon cables on Amazon?

(1/8) > >>

Mark Scrivener:
I've always been a build my own cables guy, and was planning to build some more Ethercon's for backup and odd applications when I stumbled across a bunch of nice looking Ethercon cables on Amazon for dirt cheap - We are talking less than 1/2 the cost of bulk cable for a ready to go cable that at least looks well made.

Anyone have experience with these cheap Ethercon cables?

Bob Stone:
I have one of the Lyxpro brand ones in 100' length, other than being blue rather than black, it's been fine.

Brian Jojade:
Dirt cheap on Amazon is a crapshoot.  Sometimes you get lucky and cables will work fine. However, other times you end up with cable that may be unreliable and fall apart or flake out on you at the worst possible time.

It's easy to make a cable that LOOKS nice.  Making one that actually lasts is a different story.

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on June 11, 2024, 06:25:01 PM ---Dirt cheap on Amazon is a crapshoot.  Sometimes you get lucky and cables will work fine. However, other times you end up with cable that may be unreliable and fall apart or flake out on you at the worst possible time.

It's easy to make a cable that LOOKS nice.  Making one that actually lasts is a different story.

--- End quote ---

BOCO

Brian Jojade:

--- Quote from: Dave Garoutte on June 11, 2024, 06:39:23 PM ---BOCO

--- End quote ---

Normally, I'd agree. However, in some cases, cheap throw away cables result in less crying.  In cases where cables may get damaged, or may walk off, a cheapie can work just fine. 

But, if the OP expects the same build quality for a fraction of the price, it's unlikely.  Making pictures look like crap product is quality is rampant online.  Until you get the product in hand it may be hard to tell the difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version