Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Better windscreen for headset mic

(1/1)

Brian Jojade:
I'm looking to get a better windscreen for a headset mic.

I've got the Shure PGA31's  Whenever there's more than a little wind, it just becomes too noisy.

For reference, a handheld shure SM58 with basic windscreen has no trouble.

I'm thinking there has to be a larger windscreen of sorts that can be put on the mic to solve the issue, but I can't seem to find anything.

Any ideas?

Mike Monte:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on June 10, 2024, 02:07:51 PM ---I'm looking to get a better windscreen for a headset mic.

I've got the Shure PGA31's  Whenever there's more than a little wind, it just becomes too noisy.

For reference, a handheld shure SM58 with basic windscreen has no trouble.

I'm thinking there has to be a larger windscreen of sorts that can be put on the mic to solve the issue, but I can't seem to find anything.

Any ideas?

--- End quote ---

I was gigging (in a classical quartet) at one of our outdoor weddings in Newport, RI a couple of summers ago and it was really-windy (the wind was blowing the bow off of the violinist's strings).
There was a tech (came with the reception band) that put a lav on the officiant.
The lav had a "mini-dead-mouse" on it....and it worked really well.

I asked the tech where he got it and he said that his wife purchased the artificial fur and "sewed it" for him.

Worth a shot.....

John Schalk:

--- Quote from: Mike Monte on June 10, 2024, 03:27:02 PM ---There was a tech (came with the reception band) that put a lav on the officiant.
The lav had a "mini-dead-mouse" on it....and it worked really well.

I asked the tech where he got it and he said that his wife purchased the artificial fur and "sewed it" for him.

Worth a shot.....

--- End quote ---
I have watched a few YouTuber's that have had mini-furries on their lapel mics, so there must be a source out there.  Note that these YouTubers are using mics that are a bit larger than the capsule on lav.  I got a lot of hits just now by searching for "dead cat for lavalier mic" on Amazon.

Helge A Bentsen:

--- Quote from: John Schalk on June 11, 2024, 09:19:41 AM ---I have watched a few YouTuber's that have had mini-furries on their lapel mics, so there must be a source out there.  Note that these YouTubers are using mics that are a bit larger than the capsule on lav.  I got a lot of hits just now by searching for "dead cat for lavalier mic" on Amazon.

--- End quote ---

These guys might have something?

https://www.bubblebeeindustries.com

Weogo Reed:
Hi Brian,

I've been using two foamies, one 'factory' size, and a second, larger one over it.
Had to order several sizes from Windtech to find good combinations.

A few years ago I had a guy who kept knocking off both foamies.
I put one drop of white glue on the boom/foam joint and it holds very nicely.
Gotta do this several hours before show time.
When the foam needs replacing, the white glue just peels off.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version