ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Who was the unfortunate systems provider in...  (Read 2584 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Who was the unfortunate systems provider in...
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2024, 04:44:50 PM »

Its a recurring theme with this particular candidate going back decades before his entry into politics. I know at least one vendor who lost a significant amount of money in one particularly high profile debacle related to construction in Atlantic City NJ where my family has history.

I finally saw the video clip of him saying that he doesn't pay contractors who do "expletive deleted" work. I don't know the whole story or whether the vendor was paid, and don't really care. While I understand that you guys do.

I trust that this was not some partisan funny business.

Sounds like it was a hot time for all involved.

JR

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2024, 05:01:09 PM »

Referencing who was involved in this particular case will quickly violate forum rules about talking politics...

But even without that, there are some customers that are horrible at paying for services, or find fault with what you provided to try and get out of paying.  It's those customers that keep making my contracts longer...
Brian Jojade

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2024, 07:17:07 PM »

Referencing who was involved in this particular case will quickly violate forum rules about talking politics...

But even without that, there are some customers that are horrible at paying for services, or find fault with what you provided to try and get out of paying.  It's those customers that keep making my contracts longer...

Political campaigns tend to be slow pay accounts to start with, regardless of affiliation or party.  Some individual campaigns have better/worse reputations than others, but that's solved with "money up front."  The last time I did one, it was a last minute event and I told them to wire the money to our bank account or we wouldn't even load the truck.  Much discussion with the campaign person who finally found someone to authorize the bank transfer.  We didn't start the truck load until our bank confirmed receipt.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2024, 08:14:35 PM »

The thing I learned about political events some 30 years ago, is "get paid up front."
During the last presidential campaign I was called to provide the system for a GOP rally at the RI Statehouse.
I spec'd a rig and gave (the gal who called me) her my quote/terms: paid up front prior to load in.

She said: I don't know if we can do that  Me: Can your party afford it?  Gal: crickets
Me: ????  Gal: I'll call you back

I'm still waiting for the call back.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2024, 11:25:53 PM »

Political campaigns tend to be slow pay accounts to start with, regardless of affiliation or party.  Some individual campaigns have better/worse reputations than others, but that's solved with "money up front."  The last time I did one, it was a last minute event and I told them to wire the money to our bank account or we wouldn't even load the truck.  Much discussion with the campaign person who finally found someone to authorize the bank transfer.  We didn't start the truck load until our bank confirmed receipt.
Can't the sender still refuse or retract the wire transfer for up to 3 days though?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2024, 11:33:07 PM »

Its less an issue of campaigns deliberately trying to scam vendors in my experience than campaigns having low level staffers or even volunteers making production arrangements while the people with the power of the purse are much further up the food chain.

Can't the sender still refuse or retract the wire transfer for up to 3 days though?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 09:00:09 AM by Riley Casey »

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2024, 01:52:43 AM »

That gets into a whole different level of fraud with criminal charges vs just not paying an invoice.  Pretty unlikely to happen.
Brian Jojade

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2024, 01:11:47 PM »

I am certain that part of the issue is that political campaigns are by their nature temporary enterprises, couple with the fact that many making the arrangements are young people with little to know experience in business.

That said, in my day job I hire a variety of contractors-often paying what some would perceive as a premium, but I know that I am not just hiring physical work but also the expertise to pull the job off correctly the first time.  Without defending the individual or campaign, I don't expect them to have the expertise to provide a reliable teleprompter in harsh, though foreseeable conditions.  Weather is certainly not under the control of the campaign-but it's not a stretch to expect the local vendor to be aware of the potential conditions.

When hiring a vendor, I approach things from the standpoint that it does not benefit me to put my vendors out of business by beating them up on price-but neither does it make good business sense to pay for services not received.  As an electrical contractor and master electrician, there were times I missed something and it ended up costing  me because I was the expert( or was supposed to be).  IF this vendor failed to provide services hired, then I would think at least a steep discount on the bill would be appropriate with the discount being written off as "tuition" on experience gained.
Steve Swaffer

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2024, 04:00:09 PM »

I trust that this was not some partisan funny business.

Seriously doubt that would be the case, with a professional provider. I won't endure the entire event and only heard the clip containing the complaints. Can anyone clarify the following?

Re: The teleprompter not legible; was that just due to desert sunlight on the screens? And/or heat? Or was it not receiving signal?

Did the microphone stop working or was it a case where "please turn up the monitors" might have resolved things?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Woody Nuss

• Santa Monica, CA
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2024, 12:18:09 PM »

I thought the teleprompter was moving around. Unstable position

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2024, 12:18:09 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.