Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX 512  (Read 521 times)

Nick Tims

DMX 512
« on: June 05, 2024, 04:39:33 AM »

Hello, I have a question for you about some dmx, currently I have a GLP 1224 and I have 4 light bars, 4 moving head beam mini and 2 Beam 7R, the mixer has 24 channels, but I can't get the all at the same time, do I need a another dmx ? I had read that these GLP 1224 dmxes are more for LED light ? Should I change it to the 512 model with 192 channels?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 04:42:04 AM by Nick Tims »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: DMX 512
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2024, 06:57:50 AM »

Hello, I have a question for you about some dmx, currently I have a GLP 1224 and I have 4 light bars, 4 moving head beam mini and 2 Beam 7R, the mixer has 24 channels, but I can't get the all at the same time, do I need a another dmx ? I had read that these GLP 1224 dmxes are more for LED light ? Should I change it to the 512 model with 192 channels?

If you want independent control (e.g., the ability to have every light act differently from others) of all of your fixtures, you will need to count up the DMX channels all of your fixtures have and have a board with the capability to drive them.

ďAnother DMXĒ probably isnít the issue - a single DMX universe has 512 channels of control, which is almost certainly more than you need; the issue you are probably having is that you need a lighting board or software package that is intended for controlling multi-parameter lights in a reasonable way.

Iím not up on software or boards targeted at what you are doing, but YouTube would be a great place to start to get educated on what is out there. Maybe something like this would be worth looking at?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 07:01:12 AM by TJ (Tom) Cornish »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2024, 06:58:08 AM »

Hi Nick,

Based on the way you're asking this question I can tell that your understanding of DMX is minimal, and thus any answers you receive will be difficult to digest.  My suggestion would be to first study up on how DMX works (which is universal among all brands of equipment) and then see what gaps in knowledge you still need to fill in.

That said, you have both an addressing problem and a console limitation problem.  The best path forward will depend on what you learn from the above and then how you wish to implement it.  Hope that helps!

Nick Tims

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2024, 09:44:30 AM »

Hi Nick,

Based on the way you're asking this question I can tell that your understanding of DMX is minimal, and thus any answers you receive will be difficult to digest.  My suggestion would be to first study up on how DMX works (which is universal among all brands of equipment) and then see what gaps in knowledge you still need to fill in.

That said, you have both an addressing problem and a console limitation problem.  The best path forward will depend on what you learn from the above and then how you wish to implement it.  Hope that helps!

I have the addresses set 1 and 5 light bars, 5 12 mini beam and 7r address 8 because I can't get enough channels 7r beam has 16 channels.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2024, 10:16:38 AM »

Nick how will you be using the lights? Is this for a band? General party lighting? something else?

You need a DMX controller designed for multiple fixtures and with most of them being movers ideally something more specifically designed with that in mind.
Where are you located?

Nick Tims

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2024, 04:08:28 PM »

Nick how will you be using the lights? Is this for a band? General party lighting? something else?

You need a DMX controller designed for multiple fixtures and with most of them being movers ideally something more specifically designed with that in mind.
Where are you located?

Romania,Concert yes I already have some presets, but I wanted to do something more special, so I need another console

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2024, 05:21:33 PM »

You need a DMX controller that's designed for moving head lights.  The GLP 1224 is designed to control static lights and isn't the right console for your intended use.  While you COULD get it do make a moving light do something, the complexity of programming it to do what you want would be insanely aggravating.

As far as controllers go, the sky is the limit for options.  When it comes to moving lights, the basic hardware controllers tend to be quite limiting.  Personally, I prefer using a software controller as it opens up way more options for control interfaces.

The SynthFX Luminair app is pretty nice for moving head lights. It can run on an iPad or a mac. You can use a simple USB to DMX adaptor (on the mac) or you can use network options as well, and control wirelessly.

Then, you can use any MIDI controller to control the unit as well.  It's possible to use MIDI on some digital mixers so you can trigger lighting scenes with buttons right on the mixer, which is kinda fun.
Brian Jojade

Nick Tims

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2024, 09:18:38 AM »

You need a DMX controller that's designed for moving head lights.  The GLP 1224 is designed to control static lights and isn't the right console for your intended use.  While you COULD get it do make a moving light do something, the complexity of programming it to do what you want would be insanely aggravating.

As far as controllers go, the sky is the limit for options.  When it comes to moving lights, the basic hardware controllers tend to be quite limiting.  Personally, I prefer using a software controller as it opens up way more options for control interfaces.

The SynthFX Luminair app is pretty nice for moving head lights. It can run on an iPad or a mac. You can use a simple USB to DMX adaptor (on the mac) or you can use network options as well, and control wirelessly.

Then, you can use any MIDI controller to control the unit as well.  It's possible to use MIDI on some digital mixers so you can trigger lighting scenes with buttons right on the mixer, which is kinda fun.

I'll keep the light bars with addresses 1 and 5 and the rest I'll equip with 9 channel led movingheads, I'm specialized in sound but sometimes I also take lights when needed. The 1224 itself is very easy to program even to movingheads.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #7 on: June 06, 2024, 09:18:38 AM ¬Ľ

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.