Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

A thought.

(1/9) > >>

Al Rettich:
Iím old.  My first tour was thirty five years ago.  Back then every house engineer I worked with always told me that you start at the source.  Get it right, and it gets easier.  Iíve been noticing a large increase in outboard gear on tours lately.  Iím not saying the engineers are bad, because theyíre not.  I would love an interview with one of those engineers that carries racks of outboard gear to go through and explain why so much outboard? There are other engineers that have extremely little if any outboard gear. 

Any thoughts on this?

Andrew Broughton:
My saying is "Are you coming to MIX or coming to FIX?" Sometimes fixing requires more "stuff".

Bob Faulkner:
Speaking from a multi-band perspective, I would rather bring an analog console with my 2 racks of outboard (gates, comps, EQ, effects), than try to push button after button on a digital console.  I greatly enjoy digital consoles and they have their place, but (in my opinion) navigating an analog console with outboard is extremely fast compared to a digital console.  With analog, I can assess the entire console and gate/comp/EQ/effects settings without pushing a single button.

Digital is great and I use digital at every opportunity, but I'm spoiled with the speed of running an analog setup. 

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Bob Faulkner on May 28, 2024, 08:24:56 PM ---Speaking from a multi-band perspective, I would rather bring an analog console with my 2 racks of outboard (gates, comps, EQ, effects), than try to push button after button on a digital console.  I greatly enjoy digital consoles and they have their place, but (in my opinion) navigating an analog console with outboard is extremely fast compared to a digital console.  With analog, I can assess the entire console and gate/comp/EQ/effects settings without pushing a single button.

Digital is great and I use digital at every opportunity, but I'm spoiled with the speed of running an analog setup.

--- End quote ---

In analog I have 0-4 gates, 0-8 compressors, and 2 EFX.  Do I need those?  Eh, to make sound come out of the loudspeakers?  Nope.  To make a better mix come out of the loudspeakers?  Probably, and more would be better.

What I have found pointless and nonproductive is attempting to replicate the functionality of a competent digital mixing console with analog.  I did that for almost 30 years as a mixer, a company manager, and shop tech.  Analog is greatly over-rated.

Riley Casey:
Me every time someone tells me vinyl records are the shiz

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on May 28, 2024, 09:26:12 PM ---...  Analog is greatly over-rated.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version