Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

Need advice on a sound system I have for sale

(1/2) > >>

Mike DeAcosta:
Greetings All! A friend suggested I reach out here for some advice on a listing price for a sound system I wish to sell. I would like to sell as complete system. I spoke with Tom McCauley last week and he provided me all of the original spec sheets and he still manufactures all components for this system. I've owned this system since around 1991-92. Used in my Mobile DJ Company.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions on a listing price and any ideas on best place(s) to list it.

This system was completely rebuilt about 4 years ago including sending ALL cabinets to renowned speaker builder/technician John Mueller in Richland, PA. He addressed any issues and repainted all cabinets. At this time the entire amp rack was replaced with 2 brand new amps and the DriveRack, with custom built patch box.

The new amps and DriveRack were professionally configured by Entertainment Services Group in Allentown.

System Specs:
Cabinets are McCauley Brand
4 - 18" Subs - Model 850
Top Cabinets are model 814-1 and have 2-12" High Powered Midrange Speakers and a 1 Titanium Compression Driver/Horn combination
Amps (2) - QSC PLX 3602, 3600 Watts
DBX DriveRack PA+ Complete EQ & Loudspeaker Control System professionally configured for this system
Custom Speakon Connectors making set up quick and easy

Thank you!
Mikey D

Brian Jojade:
Selling something like that as an entire kit is easiest as a local sale, since the logistics of shipping is a challenge.

The resale value of things like custom patch panels is effectively zero most of the time, so sale price is roughly what the components sell for. As a package deal, you will generally get offers for less than if you piece things out, often significantly less, unless you can find a buyer that wants exactly what you have.

While the system may sound great, the styling certainly looks dated. That's going to make it a tougher sell as well.

Quick internet searches didn't find very much in terms of matching speakers.  When that's the case, you typically need to find someone that's specifically looking for this product, or you end up selling it for very low prices.

Mike DeAcosta:
Thank you Brian!

Selling something like that as an entire kit is easiest as a local sale, since the logistics of shipping is a challenge.

The resale value of things like custom patch panels is effectively zero most of the time, so sale price is roughly what the components sell for. As a package deal, you will generally get offers for less than if you piece things out, often significantly less, unless you can find a buyer that wants exactly what you have.

While the system may sound great, the styling certainly looks dated. That's going to make it a tougher sell as well.

Quick internet searches didn't find very much in terms of matching speakers.  When that's the case, you typically need to find someone that's specifically looking for this product, or you end up selling it for very low prices.
[/quote]

Steve-White:
^^^ Everything Brian said.

To add, it's dated gear which means it's heavy by today's standards especially in the world of "DJ Systems".  I was setup with a McCauley dealership back in the day and dealt with Tom.  He's a great guy.

McCauley gear very rarely gets mentioned on this forum, almost as if it didn't exist.

Your setup will DESTROY 90% of what's out there today for a DJ system if it's setup and tuned well, even with a DriveRack PA+ controller.

Mainstream DJ setups today are more compact and a lot lighter than your setup.  Manufacturers have convinced much of the known universe that what's best for them is best for the end user - now you buy their amps along with their speakers in most cases.

If I was looking to sell a similar system, I would seek out a fixed installation as the new home for it - that's probably your best bet.  Given you've operated it for the past 30+ years in the DJ arena in your area, you outta have connections and word that it's for sale should be "out on the street".  If you haven't received any offers for it means you probably won't.

Jeff Lelko:
The PLX amps are still worth money at the very least and should be able to fetch a few hundred a piece on the usual marketplaces if you don't mind parting the system out.  Everything else will be hit or miss as already mentioned.  Good luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version