ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DANTE Network Switches.  (Read 1531 times)

Al Rettich

DANTE Network Switches.
« on: May 26, 2024, 04:33:35 PM »

I purchased a used PM5 system. It came with a pair of SWP1-8 switches. I have one that keeps throwing errors. Has anyone ever used any other non-Yamaha switches and been ok? I've heard of people using Zyxel, and Ubiquiti just not sure what models.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: DANTE Network Switches.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024, 05:05:11 PM »

The very best switches for Yamaha and Dante are the SWP series. If it's giving you errors then there's something wrong with your network or a configuration problem with the switch. Factory reset the switch and use one of the default presets (selected using the dip switches).
I use these every day and since changing to them have had 0 Dante issues. Very curious what errors you are seeing, and where you're seeing these errors?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2024, 06:57:02 PM »

I purchased a used PM5 system. It came with a pair of SWP1-8 switches. I have one that keeps throwing errors. Has anyone ever used any other non-Yamaha switches and been ok? I've heard of people using Zyxel, and Ubiquiti just not sure what models.

If you are using the optical ports and having intermittent errors, it is worth popping the hood (many, many screws) and making sure the internal cabling and sfp are fully seated. This was learned the hard way by a colleague during a large Dante network prep we were both involved in.

Where I work now we use the new Netgear M4250 AV series all the time for large Dante networks (and various control, AES67, etc) on broadcast events without troubles.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2024, 11:07:28 PM »

Has anyone ever used any other non-Yamaha switches and been ok?

When I attended a Yamaha Dante workshop, they were recommending Cisco routers.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 05:09:50 AM »

I'm using Netgear GS716t V3 right now for a small Dante network. Driverack with a LM44/switch/control PC/Smaaart etc. and two remote racks with a LM26+a switch. So far it's been reliable, but I had to spend some time configuring this setup. Mostly because I use one switch with two Vlans for primary/secondary.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2024, 10:43:48 AM »

Ubiquity switches aren’t known for robust handling of IGMP and QOS for real time AV workloads.  I’d avoid them.

Rick Earl

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2024, 11:31:36 AM »

The Yamaha switches are easy to configure for Dante and very robust, I would check cabling and connections.  The last issue I had with one was due to dirty fiber connection.  I have specified them for stand alone systems with no issues or regrets, especially with the easy of setting them up via dip switches, it is easy to service if needed.  On campus we use Cisco as our IT department finds it easier to troubleshoot when everything is the same.   In the 13 years I have been using Dante, we have had only 1 switch failure, a Cisco, and it was a complete failure, had to send to Cisco as IT had never seen anything like this before.  Otherwise any issue has been cables, or fiber, or the one time somebody decided to change console IDs without asking.   

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2024, 03:06:49 PM »

Yamaha and Luminex both make touring-grade switches with Ethercon connectors. I'd agree with the others that, depending on the error, the Yamaha switches you have may be fixable on your end.

If you don't need ethercon, I can tell you from the install field, the Netgear AV Line M4250 stuff is pretty popular, as it's got an AVL- specific interface available to make configuring your network for whatever AVL-over-IP protocol you're using. Network jacks are on the back, though.
https://www.netgear.com/ca-en/business/wired/switches/fully-managed/m4250/avline/

Rick Earl

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2024, 08:34:40 PM »

If you don't need ethercon, I can tell you from the install field, the Netgear AV Line M4250 stuff is pretty popular, as it's got an AVL- specific interface available to make configuring your network for whatever AVL-over-IP protocol you're using. Network jacks are on the back, though.
https://www.netgear.com/ca-en/business/wired/switches/fully-managed/m4250/avline/

Was just talking to a friend who now specs the Netgear AV Line for all his installs. Knowing his work, I trust his opinion. 

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2024, 12:36:29 PM »

I know they are now out of fashion, but I still buy Cisco SG300's for Dante, and NDI networks. Zero config needed other than resetting to factory specs.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2024, 12:36:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.